Falcons Fan MVP

Are you feeling confident about our defensive line going into 2019?

87 posts in this topic

I feel it will all depend on the interior of our DL. If we get that consistent push up the middle, I feel that our DL will be one of the top 5-10 in the NFL. Beasley may be a one trick pony, with his speed rush, but he is very good at the speed rush. If we get that push up the middle, the QB can't just step-up in the pocket to avoid Beasley. I believe Takk will continue to get his pressures, and will get more sacks if the QB can't just step up in the pocket. I feel Grady will have another great year, he just needs another DT that can push the pocket back into the QB's lap. That's where I am hoping Hags will come in handy. We all know he is very strong, and if he gets 1-on-1 looks with on OG, I feel he can help push the pocket into the QB's lap. If Hags gets doubled, then that will more than likely leave Grady 1-on-1 with on OG. I like our chances there! If our interior DL can push the pocket, our DL will be a force!

My 2 cents...anybody got change?   lol

Vandy likes this

38 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Interior yes. The DEs, I don’t see it 

The biggest problem our DEs have had is the QB just steps up in the pocket to avoid the speed rush from the outside. If the pocket gets pushed, then the QB can't step up and avoid that speed rush from the outside. If he does step-up, he gets sacked from the interior pressure.

Vandy likes this

On 7/8/2019 at 11:24 PM, Stryka said:

This is absurbly wrong. Rico is not just a guy...Neither is Devondre, Takk, Clayborn or Trufant. We also have up and coming young guys who could be Studs...Kazee, Foye and potentially a couple draft picks in Sheff and Cominsky. 

Rico is a hard worker, and a personal favorite of mine because of it. But we rate him more highly than his talent level allows because his work ethic is so admirable. I am perfectly happy having him on the team. I'll take hard work and dedication over talent--- but both would be nice.

Devondre Campbell was pedestrian last year. He had every opportunity to step up, play a bigger role, exhibit leadership, and shine. Instead he was marginally adequate. Not bad--- just adequate. That is the very definition of "just a guy".

Takk has potential. He also has exhibited struggles on and off the field. I love his fire and intensity, but he is at least as likely to implode tragically as shine dramatically.

If Clayborn is playing Dallas' backup OT, sure: he's a stud! Against every other OT, he is a middling journeyman. "Just a guy".

Trufant hasn't been anything special in at least a couple of seasons. The team is busily drafting guys to replace him.

Kazee might be something special, but he's changing position, and might also be a 1-season wonder.

Not even discussing shot-in-the-dark mid-round rookies. Sure, they MIGHT play a role, they MIGHT become starters, but most likely they will be on the practice squad or special teams IF IF IF they make the roster at all.

Posted (edited)

On 7/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

How are you feeling about our defensive line right now? Are you confident? Are you hoping and praying we add another pass rusher or run stopper? Do you think they have all they need to hold any offense under 20 points a game? 

On 7/5/2019 at 11:12 PM, Gold4425 said:

IMHO Our DL will surprise this year and be one of the top 5 DL's in the NFL. It is our deepest postion with WR on the team..

On 7/5/2019 at 11:57 PM, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Nope, I'm not. Simply don't see where the production comes from without marked improvement from guys that underachieved last year.

I'll tell you this.... if our guys play up to their potential we -should- see a marked improvement over last year.

But... if anyone underperforms and DQ insists on continuously trotting them out there anyway, like happened last year with Beasley?   And Riley? And Jordan Richards?

Then you can forget about the Super Bowl.

SIDENOTE:  Beasley was a virtual no-show in SB51,  But Jarrett had three sacks....

Edited by egoprime II

On 7/14/2019 at 8:03 PM, Roanoke Falcon said:

Rico is a hard worker, and a personal favorite of mine because of it. But we rate him more highly than his talent level allows because his work ethic is so admirable. I am perfectly happy having him on the team. I'll take hard work and dedication over talent--- but both would be nice.

Devondre Campbell was pedestrian last year. He had every opportunity to step up, play a bigger role, exhibit leadership, and shine. Instead he was marginally adequate. Not bad--- just adequate. That is the very definition of "just a guy".

Takk has potential. He also has exhibited struggles on and off the field. I love his fire and intensity, but he is at least as likely to implode tragically as shine dramatically.

If Clayborn is playing Dallas' backup OT, sure: he's a stud! Against every other OT, he is a middling journeyman. "Just a guy".

Trufant hasn't been anything special in at least a couple of seasons. The team is busily drafting guys to replace him.

Kazee might be something special, but he's changing position, and might also be a 1-season wonder.

Not even discussing shot-in-the-dark mid-round rookies. Sure, they MIGHT play a role, they MIGHT become starters, but most likely they will be on the practice squad or special teams IF IF IF they make the roster at all.

This is very dismissive. I understand we arent talking about probowlers across the board but you need each and every one if these guys on your team. 

Rico does a lot more than just work hard. He makes plays....TD saving PBUs and tackles. Timely INTs. His leadership is invaluable. Young players always talk about how vets bring them along. Roddy was trash til J. Horn. Julio speeds up Ridley's learning curve. Vic has his best year with a sackmaster veteran aside of him. 

Campbell looked pedestrian with a porous DL and young inexperienced secondary behind him. He's a great tackler and he is an average to above average starter all his career here. Teams wish they had a quality LB like him. 

I think maybe you need to reevaluate how you classify players. Kazee leading league in INTs isnt a might be special it is for a 1st year starter.  Takk averaging 7 sacks a season and being top 10 in pressure rate last year. Clayborn is also a top 10 pressure rate guy based on snaps.

Most definitely. Before last season started, I said our defensive line depth is garbage. It’s definitely not garbage this year. We need either Beasley and/or Takk to finally step tf up though. Clayborn and Crawford will do what they can, but we need one of the youngsters to be the lead dog on the edge. If we can get that, then this defensive line will be very very very good. 

3 minutes ago, CTann said:

Most definitely. Before last season started, I said our defensive line depth is garbage. It’s definitely not garbage this year. We need either Beasley and/or Takk to finally step tf up though. Clayborn and Crawford will do what they can, but we need one of the youngsters to be the lead dog on the edge. If we can get that, then this defensive line will be very very very good. 

Plus we have Dan Quinn leading the pack.

CTann likes this

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, falcons007 said:

No. Just hoping DQ is as good as advertised in getting most out of the DL. I am ok with interior, it’s the edge which is unknown. We have Beasley who has potential but had only one good season. Takk is 7-8 sack per year guy, nothing special. 

Got to disagree with you on Takk. If anyone has more potential  than 7-8 sacks I'd say its him. His QB pressure last year, youth, and girth, along with getting over shoulder injury I see the only potential breakout EDGE and only he and Grady at all. Everyone else yes predictable