gazoo

Rebuilt Tougher OL/TE Group: How the changes might impact our identity

102 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

You had had me until you said that Ty could play.   

Honestly I don’t know where this comes from.  We had a RT who couldn’t play and isn’t on the team anymore.  Ty couldn’t beat him out of the starting spot last year and Ty ONLY got to start a few games because coaches benched Schraeder.  So if McGary can’t beat out Ty for staring RT this whole offseason is a failure.   

That said, Ty won’t step on the field on game day except for warmups.  

Go Falcons

Agreed. No idea where the Ty love fest this past offseason came from.

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I don’t think Ty is as good as some  here believe, no way a long term solution, but I do believe he’s much better than Shraeder and can hold down that side until McGary is ready. We can keep a TE on that side to help in blocking.  Not ideal but it will work for a few games with little drop off IMO. 

I am most concerned about second half of season when we play division games and playoffs. I’m pretty sure McGary will be starting before then.

McGary will be our starter opening day.

Yo_Lover and gazoo like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I believe McGary will be our starter opening day. Never was a Ty believer. 

I hope so. He’s got to unlearn some stuff in pass protection he was taught in college, then learn NFL technique. I don’t know how long that will take, but we have such a good coaching staff on offense I don’t think it will take too long

Vandy and Chaz like this

6 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I hope so. He’s got to unlearn some stuff in pass protection he was taught in college, then learn NFL technique. I don’t know how long that will take, but we have such a good coaching staff on offense I don’t think it will take too long

Agree on our coaching. A lot there to work with, 320+ lbs of nasty.

Main thing on pass protection is he’s got great footwork. Learning technique is easier if you have your footwork right.

Yo_Lover, Chaz and gazoo like this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Main thing on pass protection is he’s got great footwork. Learning technique is easier if you have your footwork

Good point. I hadn’t thought of it in those terms, but I agree. His footwork is very good in pass pro.

Vandy likes this

OG are your pocket anchors in pass pro

We picked up these  guys

Jamon-BrownJamon-Brown-207x300.jpg

340lb Jamon Brown, dude is in dam good shape for that size

USATSI_9011669-194x300.jpg
321 lb James Carpenter
James Carpenter is the glue of Jets’ offensive line

You cheap shot my QB you little &#$@ and I’ll rip your head off....I love that fire!
VTCrunkler, Chaz and Vandy like this

On 7/5/2019 at 0:08 AM, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think it was the Tennessee Titans during a workout in training camp who called our team soft 

Our offensive scheme has been finesse.

gazoo likes this

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. No idea where the Ty love fest this past offseason came from.

McGary will be our starter opening day.

Iim starting to think your right

Vandy likes this

And we lost smaller OG technicians like this 
Andy and Katie Levitre
Andy Levitre 

New Era Style Lounge - Saturday February 6, 2016
Chris Chester 

6 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Great insightful post, BTW I’m a McGary fan. Favorite OL right now. I think he’s going to be pretty good. Even if only average I will still be a huge supporter.

I appreciate it KOG, if McGary pans out which 8m sure he will, he has potential to be a dominating monster mauler at RT. He is an athletic freak with not just great mobility, size and strength, he has explosive power and will be knocking defenders on their #*$@.  He doesn’t look like he has an ounce of fat on him.

Vandy, JD dirtybird21, Chaz and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

I appreciate it KOG, if McGary pans out which 8m sure he will, he has potential to be a dominating monster mauler at RT. He is an athletic freak with not just great mobility, size and strength, he has explosive power and will be knocking defenders on their #*$@.  He doesn’t look like he has an ounce of fat on him.

But! Is he socially awkward?  

Vandy likes this

6 hours ago, Chaz said:

But! Is he socially awkward?  

Anyone who doesn’t like rap music is socially awkward in my book! But if you wear a bow tie in your sleep, you are cool :lol:

Chaz likes this

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Carpenter and Brown will hold it down until the rookies are ready.

But for one spot I would think? My gosh hope Lindstrom is real deal, and have to think he is.  Really wish I knew who front office has in mind before battle is won between the 2 free agents. Have to think Carpenter but have high hopes for Brown as he is just MAssIVE

18 hours ago, gazoo said:

I love that fire!

James Carpenter is the glue of Jetsâ offensive line

Its like hes talking to a Graham who is hard of hearing...

"My name's James!  Whats yours?"

gazoo and Chaz like this

We will have a completely new offense come 2019.  It will be a smash mouth offense with play action.  Its great to see these guys come together like this

VTCrunkler likes this

On 7/5/2019 at 9:09 PM, Knight of God said:

I’m a McGary fan. Favorite OL right now. I think he’s going to be pretty good. Even if only average I will still be a huge supporter.

I see what you like so much in McGary  KOG!   He said “I want defenders to be scared of me” and “ My quarterback and tailback are important to me. They are like family to me. Nobody hurts those guys”

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/watch-atlanta-falcons-select-washington-offensive-lineman-kaleb-mcgary-no-31-in-

This attitude is infectious. Like when Harvey Dahl came here and infected the other players with it, now we brought in 4 OL with that Dahl type attitude in McGary, Lindstrom, Carpenter and Brown. 

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

I see what you like so much in McGary  KOG!   He said “I want defenders to be scared of me” and “ My quarterback and tailback are important to me. They are like family to me. Nobody hurts those guys”

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/watch-atlanta-falcons-select-washington-offensive-lineman-kaleb-mcgary-no-31-in-

This attitude is infectious. Like when Harvey Dahl came here and infected the other players with it, now we brought in 4 OL with that Dahl type attitude in McGary, Lindstrom, Carpenter and Brown. 

That’s my type of player. You don’t have to be good or great if you have that tude my bro.

Vandy, VTCrunkler, gazoo and 1 other like this

10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

That’s my type of player. You don’t have to be good or great if you have that tude my bro.

This should be a lot of fun watching these guys this year if the entire OL gets infected with this nasty, gritty attitude.  Dahl wasn’t that athletically gifted, but he fought like a Barbarian up to and sometimes past the whistle  every snap.

You might beat him on a play, but you’d be beaten up after playing him. Even the Roman soldiers avoided the Germanic Barbarians after while! Haha 

On 7/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, JD dirtybird21 said:

It better be in the top 5 man. That's a BIG investment on the offensive line. These guys need to be the solution that Ryan has a great line for the rest of his career. Ultimately, I feel optimistic of this season too. But with the team choosing 2 offensive lineman in the 1st round and taking no DT's, that has some risk to it as well. 

Also adding all that beef up front in FA gave us more solid depth than I can recall in awhile!

VTCrunkler and JD dirtybird21 like this

17 hours ago, gazoo said:

Harvey Dahl

a one we shoulda kept.  what was the game where MR got hit after the play and no one did anything about it?

gazoo likes this

31 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

a one we shoulda kept.  what was the game where MR got hit after the play and no one did anything about it?

That’s one of the  plays that inspired the OP.

When that happened, it was indicative of a much bigger problem than stats could show. 

Dahl was a tone setter. He wore defenders out by playing all out until whistle and it would wear them down. You can see in tape that link above McGary does exactly same but McGary has exceptional athleticism to match that barbarian attitude. Then. Look at tape of Lindstrom and Carpenter. They play angry and finish just like Dahl did. 

We didn’t just add one Dahl, we added 4 in McGary, Lindstrom, Carpenter and to a lesser extent Brown. The makeup o our OL didn’t just change athletically or physically, the attitude changed dramatically.  Just watch this unfold, we are going to fall in love with these guys just as we did Harvey.  

This is why brother KOG is saying he already loves McGary, KOG knows how infectious it is if you have even an average talent level  OLineman that doesn’t just want to win the snap, but the attitude to demolish your opponent each snap. 

O was sick and tired of the finesse stuff, I like we are still doing outside zone runs but more power stuff up middle as well. I also like we have nasty OL! Old school football is back! 

VTCrunkler likes this

35 minutes ago, gazoo said:

That’s one of the  plays that inspired the OP.

When that happened, it was indicative of a much bigger problem than stats could show. 

Dahl was a tone setter. He wore defenders out by playing all out until whistle and it would wear them down. You can see in tape that link above McGary does exactly same but McGary has exceptional athleticism to match that barbarian attitude. Then. Look at tape of Lindstrom and Carpenter. They play angry and finish just like Dahl did. 

We didn’t just add one Dahl, we added 4 in McGary, Lindstrom, Carpenter and to a lesser extent Brown. The makeup o our OL didn’t just change athletically or physically, the attitude changed dramatically.  Just watch this unfold, we are going to fall in love with these guys just as we did Harvey.  

This is why brother KOG is saying he already loves McGary, KOG knows how infectious it is if you have even an average talent level  OLineman that doesn’t just want to win the snap, but the attitude to demolish your opponent each snap. 

O was sick and tired of the finesse stuff, I like we are still doing outside zone runs but more power stuff up middle as well. I also like we have nasty OL! Old school football is back! 

I think the mental aspect is undersold. I think deep down this what we’ve been waiting for. For the Falcons to be bullies and wear people down. It takes warriors like Dahl and to a certain degree Claybo. All about atttitude. I wonder what role the o line coaches have played on all of the woes we have had

gazoo likes this

3 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

That was against the Saints in 2013. I hated that they let Dahl walk and kept Blalock. It was tough because Dahl, Blalock, and Clabo were all free agents at the same time and we kept 2. We kept the wrong 2.

VTCrunkler likes this

6 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

I think the mental aspect is undersold. I think deep down this what we’ve been waiting for. For the Falcons to be bullies and wear people down. It takes warriors like Dahl and to a certain degree Claybo. All about atttitude. I wonder what role the o line coaches have played on all of the woes we have had

Yep. Dahl made Clabo better, not because Dahl was uber talented, but because Dahl’s nastiness and killer instinct was infectious. Those two were having a lot of fun getting under the skin of their opponents. I recall complaints from other teams about them being too aggressive, saying for instance  if the play was going the  other way it was unnecessary to keep pushing them around, wearing them out. Or if game was late in 4th quarter and out of range to win, them still playing all out nasty.  Us fans love nasty, love finishers, we love an attitude we might lose the game but NOBODY is going to push us around or cheap shot our QB or RB. The OL are the enforcers, this is going to be fun.

Yo_Lover and VTCrunkler like this