1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Nah. The player hasn’t been the issue the past few years. Way more factors than the returner alone 

11 minutes ago, LouDog said:

We drafted our new return man

I didn't say return man. I'm talking that Gunner that will go down the field and make a play. 

4 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I didn't say return man. I'm talking that Gunner that will go down the field and make a play. 

That’s who Gage is supposed to be. Also I think Hardy could maybe be that this year. Also Ish has been a standout on special teams for awhile. And Duke might be relegated to ST work too. 

Edited by shock
1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think this kind of stuff doesn’t matter all that much. The only special team player that matters to me is kicker. 

It does matter.

Imagine having a good kicker, but on some kickoffs that aren't touchbacks or fair-catches the opposing team either gets great field range or takes it all the way easily because the rest of the special teams unit is garbage. Just one of those plays could change a game.

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

It does matter.

Imagine having a good kicker, but on some kickoffs that aren't touchbacks or fair-catches the opposing team either gets great field range or takes it all the way easily because the rest of the special teams unit is garbage. Just one of those plays could change a game.

I hear you man. But ever since the kickoff moved to the 35, it’s not as significant anymore 

3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

It does matter.

I think our new ST coach will help a lot

2 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

You gotta clarify that **** for those of us in the back. Seeing Weems and Smith I automatically thought touchdowns lol. 

Sidenote. I googled Smiths stats. I seemed like dude had a lot more touchdowns than what he actually has. 

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Did they change the formations on kickoffs as well?

I remember hearing something about it as a proposal but I'm not sure if they went through with changing it.

Kickoffs were moved to the 35 at the start of the 2011 season. Before that they were on the 30. Since that rule change, touchbacks happens around 80% of kickoffs. It’s just not as significant as it used to be. 

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Nah. The player hasn’t been the issue the past few years. Way more factors than the returner alone 

Absolutely. And I really think getting rid of Armstrong was a big part of it. I think returns will get back to how it used to be. Blocking has been horrible since before Hester got here. It’s a reason why our guys fair catch so much. Guys were always in their face. 

54 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think this kind of stuff doesn’t matter all that much. The only special team player that matters to me is kicker. 

It def matters. Field position for our offense is even better. It’s not just about kick off’s. Punts still matter. Kickoffs do too. There’s strategy to kick balls short to stop a guy before the 20. We do it a lot. Bosher wouldn’t always kick it thru the end zone. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

It def matters. Field position for our offense is even better. It’s not just about kick off’s. Punts still matter. Kickoffs do too. There’s strategy to kick balls short to stop a guy before the 20. We do it a lot. Bosher wouldn’t always kick it thru the end zone. 

I should have said it differently. I think we can win the super bowl without a star special teamer on the roster. Kicker, to me, is super important and unappreciated. Saying “it doesn’t matter” was a poor choice of words. I know it can be beneficial. But it’s not a must have. That’s what I meant 

I agree on the KO changes. Don’t teams get ball at 25 with a tb? Crazy but I get them avoiding high speed collision between everyone; like blockers.

Punting is another art. We definitely have the speed in our unit. Let’s see what Ben can do to get them on same page. I feel like coverages haven’t been that bad since 2017 coverage units.

I really think our return units have been the bigger problem.

A lot of talk here about kickoffs butnthats somewhat irrelevant now. 

My concern on ST is the fg kicking and how we handle punts coverage and returns. I’m hopeful that Italian Ice will do well but he’s got big shoes to fill. 

Also, while the kick offs aren’t as important now post rule change, the punt game is important. Hopefully we can have gunners who can pin them deep and also a decent return game to give ourselves better field possession on offense. 

18 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Not sure about that. In tight games, especially tight playoff and division games, field position can mean everything, and good special teams rerun and coverage units can have a big impact in feild position

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Not sure about that. In tight games, especially tight playoff and division games, field position can mean everything, and good special teams rerun and coverage units can have a big impact in feild position

19 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I should have said it differently. I think we can win the super bowl without a star special teamer on the roster. Kicker, to me, is super important and unappreciated. Saying “it doesn’t matter” was a poor choice of words. I know it can be beneficial. But it’s not a must have. That’s what I meant 

See this post man

22 hours ago, gazoo said:

This. Most people took the post the wrong way. They don't seem to understand how important it is to have a solid Gunner. I brought up Antone Smith, because it did everything for this team.