Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

July 2019 Recruiting Thread

466 posts in this topic

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is he being recruited by other schools as DL, since he is listed as OT?

Don’t know the answer to that, he’s just a name to know as I asked the plans after the Smith news last night.

The belief is that Carter, Brinson, and Burch will be in the class. We will continue to try to flip Dexter and there’s some confidence we can do that. Obviously, we’re not sure what’s going to happen on DL but my mindset is that any combination of Carter and Burch in the same class is an A class. Add Dexter and it makes it an A+ class. Fill the remaining two slots with BPA for DL: Cowan, Stackhouse, Burroughs, Thomas, Walker.

Posted (edited)

Wellons is AmericusDawg for those that don't know. 

D. Wellons

Today at 6:02 AM

2021 has news coming soon.
Great news 

D. Wellons

Today at 8:29 AM

Thats great, future class leader ?

Roger that boss.

Any guesses as to who? Obviously it's a future class leader type. 

Caleb Williams possibly? 

Or Mims or Morris. 

Edited by RandomFan
AutumnEffect and g-dawg like this

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Caleb Williams possibly? 

Or Mims or Morris. 

Sit tight on the 247 CB I guess...

Edited by AutumnEffect

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Caleb Williams possibly? 

Or Mims or Morris. 

Pretty sure it’s Williams, he’s been trending pretty hard the last couple weeks. 

g-dawg and Wardog357 like this

15 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Pretty sure it’s Williams, he’s been trending pretty hard the last couple weeks. 

My guess as well.

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

Does anyone else think we will have another Fields situation here? Get Mathis who wants to start I imagine, then Beck next who I assume wants to start, then Williams who again will wanna start.

How do you guys see it shaking out?

21 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Does anyone else think we will have another Fields situation here? Get Mathis who wants to start I imagine, then Beck next who I assume wants to start, then Williams who again will wanna start.

One headache at a time grasshopper.  Let’s just get through this year!

14 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Fields situation was more about attitude and personality of Fields and his father. I'd guess that if staff sensed any of that from Williams and his family we'd have already backed off since we got a hard lesson there already. 

There's also the fact that this is just a very different situation with us being desperate for a top QB in a short time that year.

Finally, you can never know for sure with these things but that's always a risk you're going to take with taking top prospects sometimes and you can't recruit afraid of that happening.

Bdawg58, Yo_Lover and Wardog357 like this

51 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Nowadays you recruit the best players (with good attitude and character) you can get and whatever happens, happens. 

Wardog357, Yo_Lover and g-dawg like this

48 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Fields situation was more about attitude and personality of Fields and his father. I'd guess that if staff sensed any of that from Williams and his family we'd have already backed off since we got a hard lesson there already. 

There's also the fact that this is just a very different situation with us being desperate for a top QB in a short time that year.

Finally, you can never know for sure with these things but that's always a risk you're going to take with taking top prospects sometimes and you can't recruit afraid of that happening.

Fields situation is not as unique as you say here.   The QB transfer thing didn’t start with him.

YES, when you start stacking QBs, some are going to transfer.  It was a thing before Fields and will be a thing long after.

Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Jacob Eason, etc, etc

Anyone not expecting QB transfers for ALL top programs isn’t paying attention.  This is and will be the new norm.  I'm not saying all of them will transfer - but a healthy percentage of top rated guys are gonna transfer if they don't think they will be starter by Sophmore year and a higher percentage if they don't see the path by Junior year.  Kids want to play earlier now and most 4-5*'s are hoping to get to NFL - you aren't getting there without at least 20 starts. YES, there are exceptions (Trubisky, Haskins /1yr college starters drafted high - but most won't wait).

fibonaccisquared and Lennon like this

45 minutes ago, Is This What You Want? said:

One headache at a time grasshopper.  Let’s just get through this year!

Lol, I mostly ask because I do love when there's discussion here and I respect y'all's opinion.

Think beck will be the guy to take over after Fromm, especially if Fromm stays for his SR year. Mathis will stick it out as a solid backup, and Williams will transfer (if we get him) after his second season RFr.. I have a crystal ball. I think beck may be a bigger version of a.murry

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Fields situation is not as unique as you say here.   The QB transfer thing didn’t start with him.

YES, when you start stacking QBs, some are going to transfer.  It was a thing before Fields and will be a thing long after.

Anyone not expecting QB transfers for ALL top programs isn’t paying attention.  This is and will be the new norm.  I'm not saying all of them will transfer - but a healthy percentage of top rated guys are gonna transfer if they don't think they will be starter by Sophmore year and a higher percentage if they don't see the path by Junior year.  Kids want to play earlier now and most 4-5*'s are hoping to get to NFL - you aren't getting there without at least 20 starts. YES, there are exceptions (Trubisky, Haskins /1yr college starters drafted high - but most won't wait).

Matt Castle, Matt Flynn, Zac Mettenburger,  Gardner Menshew

Edited by UAB_DAWG
g-dawg likes this

16 hours ago, g-dawg said:

This. It’s difficult to find highly-rated quarterback recruits who are comfortable with not playing, or even waiting 2-3 years for a chance to start. The problem seems to begin when you recruit elite QB prospects exclusively, bringing in one/year, and then you’re a transfer/injury away from serious depth issues. 

Might not hurt to bring in a high-upside quarterback with every other class to complement the higher rated guy. Probably won’t expect playing time, and will be more likely to provide depth and stick around all four seasons. Similar to Joe Cox, I guess.

g-dawg likes this

I will say only this and then drop it because I have zero desire to get into this again and in here especially.

My post was not simply about top players transferring. Of course that happens. It was more about how it was handled and how public it was with the poisoning of the locker room and the portrayal of the staff and the university to get to said end.

I have no problem with players transferring and am well aware of its frequency. What I'm sure our staff is on watch for is HOW the player would handle that decision.

95Dawg, Yo_Lover, Wardog357 and 5 others like this

53 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

With the NCAA granting immediate playing time I expect transfers to increase 

It's part of why the NCAA is under such pressure to take action. These kids are now given free reign to jump in the portal, and usually do so without actually exploring their options first, leaving a lot of them stuck in limbo, and having to either go somewhere not a desirable choice or to return to the school that they often already just burned their bridges at. 

The whole thing is in massive need of structure and guidelines, not just to protect the schools, but to protect the students most of all. 

7 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

It's part of why the NCAA is under such pressure to take action. These kids are now given free reign to jump in the portal, and usually do so without actually exploring their options first, leaving a lot of them stuck in limbo, and having to either go somewhere not a desirable choice or to return to the school that they often already just burned their bridges at. 

The whole thing is in massive need of structure and guidelines, not just to protect the schools, but to protect the students most of all. 

It's becoming real crazy. I'm all for players getting treated like regular students. Meaning a student with an academic scholarship can transfer to another school and get put on scholarship immediately if they qualify. But even I'm like it's getting really insane now. But it does add excitement and that's what college football wanted

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

It's becoming real crazy. I'm all for players getting treated like regular students. Meaning a student with an academic scholarship can transfer to another school and get put on scholarship immediately if they qualify. But even I'm like it's getting really insane now. But it does add excitement and that's what college football wanted

The NCAA has stated they are going to make it harder to gain immediate playing time. Here’s an article about it 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiovs3xosbjAhXlRt8KHS8pCPMQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Fcolumnist%2Fdan-wolken%2F2019%2F06%2F26%2Fncaas-changes-transfer-guidelines-limit-immediate-eligibility%2F1569260001%2F&psig=AOvVaw006BLlAP6byO9LA_eKjuM2&ust=1563807458411759

Edited by Bdawg58
Wardog357 and youngbloodz like this