Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

July 2019 Recruiting Thread

466 posts in this topic

247 updated their rankings recently, which shuffled the composite. Some of the more noteworthy changes in the composite:

Sewell is now 28th overall and a 5 star. 

WR Arian Smith got a huge bump from 247 all the way to 28 overall and #5 WR in the country, which pushed his composite up to 134 overall. 

Van Pran up to 97

Ratledge at 35 just outside of being a 5*, mostly due to 247 having him at 69 overall. 

Beck keeps sliding in the rankings, but I imagine that will change when the games actually count. 

Tank up to 31 overall

2 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Lol.. they waited until now to update their fanbase?

It's like flunking out of school and waiting til the last minute to tell your folks.

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

247 updated their rankings recently, which shuffled the composite. Some of the more noteworthy changes in the composite:

WR Arian Smith got a huge bump from 247 all the way to 28 overall and #5 WR in the country, which pushed his composite up to 134 overall. 

Van Pran up to 97

Ratledge at 35 just outside of being a 5*, mostly due to 247 having him at 69 overall. 

Beck keeps sliding in the rankings, but I imagine that will change when the games actually count. 

Tank up to 31 overall

Until they commit to the G. Then you can expect their rankings to drop. :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, LawDawg said:

Until they commit to the G. Then you can expect their rankings to drop. :rolleyes:

Or they pull a Blaylock and don't generate clicks for their websites, so they get dropped in the rankings. 

I've wondered if that's why Clemson's classes have been undervalued as far as recruiting rankings go. We all know they get their kids to shut down recruiting when they commit. There is no drama, very little chance of flipping them, therefore no clickbait involved with them. And yeah I know the smaller class size usually hurts them, but that doesn't account for a lot of their players being undervalued by ranking services. 

Based on Clemson's success I imagine 247, Rivals, and ESPN will have a tough time continuing to do that. I also imagine with UGA's success we will be in a similar boat. I don't think we'll see going forward as much of the UGA downward bump we used to see. Kirby has established that he knows how to evaluate talent, those services take that into account -- which is why Saban always gets the benefit of the doubt which leads to the Bama Bump™.  

Edited by RandomFan

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Van Pran up to 97

Tank up to 31 overall

I really think Beck will be fine, he didn’t do a ton of camps and that’s what these rankings are to this point. 

Updated list:

2020:

OT - B Jones (UGA) ✔

QB - C Beck (UGA) ✔

OT - T Ratledge (UGA) ✔

DB - J Kimber (UGA) ✔

LB - M Sherman (UGA) ✔

DT - J Carter (UGA) ✔

WR - M Rosemy (UGA) ✔

WR - C Wren (UGA) ✔

WR - J Robinson (UGA) ✔

DT - N Stackhouse (UGA) ✔

WR - Ar Smith ✔

OL - S Van Pran ✔

TE - D Washington ✔

DB - K Ringo ✔

DE - J Burch ✔

RB - Z Evans ✔

OT - B Ward ✔

RB - J McClellan (Oklahoma)

DT - C Brock (pwo ?)

Potentially 2020:

S - A Williams (Oregon)

RB - T Bigsby

S - Ja Conley

2021:

S - J Williams ✔

S - A Henry ✔

OT - M Morris ✔

OT - A Mims ✔

DE - K Foreman ✔

DB - Br Oliver ✔

WR - J Thomas ✔

ILB - B Carter

DB - J Slocum

NT - Ma Smith

2021 Potentiality

S - D Daniel

2022 Potentiality

QB - G Stockton

✔ = confirmed via reporter on another site

RandomFan likes this

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Regarding recruiting, there are things I can’t share but this weekend will be EPIC. The culmination of talent on one weekend is ridiculous. Better than that, most want to and will be Dawgs. Everything will be clearer after this weekend. I’d watch RB, WR, TE, DL, OL, & DB. Yeah that’s major. So please, enjoy this ride, it won’t be this way forever. See y’all in few weeks!

153AE207-61C6-4093-82A2-BB3DA7A9FBA1.gif

20 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

RB, WR, TE, DL, OL, & DB.

Let's try and see if we can connect the dots here based on the list for any athletes who could be providing public clarity... Obviously plenty of guys could give silents and give "clarity" to the staff.

RB, WR, TE, DL, OL, & DB:

RB: Milton... and? :lol:

WR: Arian Smith most likely to pop - only other WR that I see visiting is 2021 kid...

TE: Gilbert would seem to be most likely to pop *sooner* (unless someone is changing their timeline), but even still, wouldn't anticipate anything before we're a few games into the season... again, unless something has changed behind the scenes.

DL: Don't think Brock would be commitable in 2020 right now... Don't think Burch has any likelihood of popping soon... so if anything's happening, would seemingly be most likely to be one of the 2021 kids? I'd run through a wall if we landed a commitment from Foreman coming out of this weekend... :lol: 

OL: Seems like this would have to be Morris or Mims in 2021. Van Pran has stated he wants his recruitment to go long and we don't really have leverage there now with no Raym.

DB: Another one where unless Ringo (and Williams for that matter) has changed his mind on *timing*, this would seem to be more of an under the radar guy most likely... Conley could earn a spot... Don't know the 2021 DBs well enough to gauge here.

Posted (edited)

I think what he means by becoming "clearer" and "watching out for" is more along the lines of silent commitments - or at least a better feel for where we stand with some of these recruits. We're obviously not going to have a potential 6 or 7 public commits come out within 7 days of this weekend. 

But yeah I'm curious to see how this weekend goes, for sure. 

RB: We know Milton is in the fold, but we've got Zack Evans, McClellan, and possibly Tank joining him this weekend. That's a ridiculous 4 of the top 8 or so RB's in the country in on the same weekend. That's crazy. I'm really curious to see what info trickles out about Evans after this visit. Since he was once rumored to be a silent commit that made our staff question that with his flirtations with both Texas schools, this will be interesting. Especially since Tank was given the green light to commit as our 2nd RB. 

WR: suspect you are right and A. Smith will be committing sooner rather than later. That guy is FAST. He's even faster than the other speedster we have committed, Wren; and bigger too. I wonder if there is a possibility Wren might get Billy-Bobbed at some point. 

TE: There is a really good article about Theo Johnson over on DawgNation today. Seems like all 3 of our TE targets are in the same boat of wanting to let the early part of the season play out so they can see how their top schools end up using their TEs. Wouldn't expect a commit from any of them until at least 3 or 4 weeks into the season, and probably a good bit later than that. I think we sit good with all 3. 

DL: With Z. Walker likely waiting on Burch to make a decision for us, I could see us actually pushing for a decision from him. But that doesn't mean he's gonna give us one early, lol. And agree about Foreman. When I saw his name first appearing on the guest list I definitely did a double take on that. This guy is a BEAST. Those two reps in a row where he totally embarrassed Ratledge were very impressive. 

OL: Meh, I would think Pittman still has guys he has lined up right behind SVP on his wish list, which I would guess is different from the 247 composite rankings. I say that to suggest Pittboss should still have options, and therefore leverage -- if the situation called for it. I don't think it does. Seems like Pittboss is content to let it play out with SVP, but this weekend should give them some update on where we stand with him. Honestly, if we only ended up with the 3 we currently have committed then I'd be fine with that. It's already a great haul. I say it all the time but I feel we almost always recruit 1 or 2 more players per room than is ideal for morale. Yes, I understand why we do it; doesn't mean I like it or agree with it completely. 

DB: Agree.

Edited by RandomFan

I’m hearing Ringo actually might pop within a week, maybe even the same day as Milton. I’m also hearing the same thing about this being an epic weekend. I wish I knew more because I’m going to be on pins and needles all weekend waiting for something to break

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m hearing Ringo actually might pop within a week, maybe even the same day as Milton. I’m also hearing the same thing about this being an epic weekend. I wish I knew more because I’m going to be on pins and needles all weekend waiting for something to break

stressed mickey mouse GIF

Me too

g-dawg likes this

17 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Evans being told to get in or lose his spot 

Figured that, since Tank is waiting in the wings. 

7 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Texas A&M boards supposedly claiming Lindberg committed to us?

Any info on this?

Saw that rumor floating around too. Don't know anything more than you right now, but I wonder if it might just be aTm fans trolling Texas. 

Rusty said there are 2 kids who are currently committed to other schools, that are in constant communication with the staff.  Any ideas?  Paris, Williams, or Dexter maybe?

Look for Lindberg to commit this weekend to a team that wears red and black... Also don’t be surprised for another fast guy to commit this weekend. Keep an eye on Ringo too might pop at any moment. 

As for the 2 guys that are committed elsewhere my guess is Dexter and I honestly can’t think of another. I’m just ready for some things to start moving publicly 

3 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Look for Lindberg to commit this weekend to a team that wears red and black... Also don’t be surprised for another fast guy to commit this weekend. Keep an eye on Ringo too might pop at any moment. 

As for the 2 guys that are committed elsewhere my guess is Dexter and I honestly can’t think of another. I’m just ready for some things to start moving publicly 

Thoughts on Lindberg?

30 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Dexter is one of them for sure.. in fact it sounds like he is keeping it very close to the vest with the florida guys, but he is in constant communication with our staff.  Not sure on the other, but I don't believe it's Paris.  Regarding commits I can see 3 to 4 this weekend not including Milton.  

45 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Thoughts on Lindberg?

He’s a very good OL. Pitboss likes so that’s enough for me lol

Turkeydawg likes this

Dexter and Lloyd as the two still in contact. 

Surprising news about Lindberg. I guess the aTm boys weren't just trolling Texas after all. 

95Dawg likes this

Lindberg had been a target for some time... It just seemed like after we landed the commitment from Braun and we were "in the thick of it" with Raym, that he dropped off of a lot of people's radars. He's still a top 150 overall player, great measurables, and Pitt likes him. I'm good with it if they can work out the class numbers. Feels like a better Owen Condon type pickup. 

Bdawg58 likes this

Regarding commits I can see 3 to 4 this weekend not including Milton.  

If you're not including Milton, I'm not sure I've heard enough to get me to 4...

Seems like the biggest possibilities would be:

2020:

Arian Smith, Chad Lindberg, Kelee Ringo *maybe*

2021:

Caleb Williams... The only other name I've heard thrown around is James Williams, 5* Safety... 

Am I missing someone on your list?

Bdawg58 likes this