Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

July 2019 Recruiting Thread

466 posts in this topic

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Staff did not pursue Smith heavily. He was a keep the irons warm prospect. Smith was waiting for the green light from either Bama or UGA and he got that from bama. Had we pushed first, he would’ve chosen UGA.

It is a growing possibility that there will not be a true NT in this class. There’s a scenario that’s shaping up nicely to allow this to happen. Tymon Mitchell is a RS candidate; he’ll play in his 4 games and likely take a RS to support J Davis next year. Barnett and Netori will support Davis this year. Because of the position of NT being devalued by NFL (space eater that doesn’t pressure/collapse the pocket) look for both to Davis and Mitchell to leave after their senior years. This will buy time to skip NT this class.

Best case “realistic” scenario class includes:

Jalen Carter-DT (#2 rated DT by 247 and he doesn’t camp)

Jordan Burch-#1 SDE. #1 overall composite “currently”. He’ll drop back because he didn’t camp at opening.

Gervon Dexter-Top 5 DT regardless of ranking. Can play edge as well, runs very smooth. Will offer staff versatility from 3-5T. This will heat up faster than most think.

Warren Brinson-DT if needed, he’s capable of beefing up for NT at 325 range. CTS really likes him.

5th and final spot will be 1 of Jacolbe Cowan, Zykevious Walker, Nazir Stackhouse (currently committed), Omari Thomas. All are RS candidates and will not push the two deep year one. This is a needed depth move.

When this class hits, we can find another position group to express concerns about...or can we? This is a complete roster top to bottom.

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Burroughs out seems to be a forgone conclusion then?

I wouldn’t call it a conclusion but certainly trending towards that.

g-dawg likes this

Omari Thomas is a new and interesting name. Had to look up who he was; top 100 prospect. 247 has him listed as OT, but quite a few teams are apparently recruiting him exclusively at DT.

g-dawg and Wardog357 like this

18 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

Omari Thomas is a new and interesting name. Had to look up who he was; top 100 prospect. 247 has him listed as OT, but quite a few teams are apparently recruiting him exclusively at DT.

Yep. SoFL had mentioned him a week ago or so I think. Kind of an under the radar kid for top 100 prospect. Particularly at DT given his ranking as OT.

Also saw this over on dawgnation, and might explain Arian Smith's interest in UGA a bit more (Matt Boling is the big deal sprinter committed to UGA's track & field program).

O9B9OYAE0JNJ.jpeg

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

Interesting.

If that order is correct, Arian Smith took leg 1 of the 4, meaning he's probably the second fastest guy behind Boling. Sign me up... I just don't want us to change his position after year 1 and lose potentially meaningful production like we did with Mark Webb. Maybe Webb was never going to crack the lineup at WR, but felt like we gave up on that way too quickly. I really liked his attitude as a recruit and hope that he's en route to some real playing time this year.

I know Smith plays both ways now, so would just want us to lock in WR or DB early rather than late.

Wardog357, 95Dawg and AutumnEffect like this

14 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

If that order is correct, Arian Smith took leg 1 of the 4, meaning he's probably the second fastest guy behind Boling. Sign me up... I just don't want us to change his position after year 1 and lose potentially meaningful production like we did with Mark Webb. Maybe Webb was never going to crack the lineup at WR, but felt like we gave up on that way too quickly. I really liked his attitude as a recruit and hope that he's en route to some real playing time this year.

I know Smith plays both ways now, so would just want us to lock in WR or DB early rather than late.

I agree, I do believe those days are over where we change off/def players a lot once they get on campus now that we have the depth and the talent at each position. The only reason they moved Webb was because of depth issues. I think the only players you will see move are players that aren’t high on the depth chart, on say OL/DL, and want to try gain playing time example Netori Johnson. 

95Dawg and fibonaccisquared like this

59 minutes ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

Who is visiting this weekend?

Posted this elsewhere, but..

Currently looks to be something like this: 

Confirmed: 
QB - C Beck 
DB - K Ringo 
OL - S Van Pran 
OT - T Ratledge 
DB - J Kimber 
LB - Mekhail Sherman (spelling?) 
*TE - D Washington (I've seen it as confirmed, but would call it a soft confirmed) 

Potentially: 
DB - D McGlothern 
RB - T Bigsby 
DB/ATH - Ja'Qurious Conley 
RB - Jase McClellan (this may be confirmed as I've seen someone say it, but hadn't seen it anywhere close to official)

Ricky Fontaine and Bdawg58 like this

18 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Confirmed: 
QB - C Beck 
DB - K Ringo 
OL - S Van Pran 
OT - T Ratledge 
DB - J Kimber 
*TE - D Washington (I've seen it as confirmed, but would call it a soft confirmed) 

Potentially: 
DB - D McGlothern 
RB - T Bigsby 
RB - Jase McClellan (this may be confirmed as I've seen someone say it, but hadn't seen it anywhere close to official)

Figured Milton would be there to give his commitment in person.

Disappointing to not see names like SEWELL nor BURCH here as well.

Bdawg58 likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Figured Milton would be there to give his commitment in person.

He may be. Just haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Disappointing to not see names like SEWELL nor BURCH here as well.

Sewell likely won't be back until an official... And I don't think we want that this early. He's a long way away and not everyone has the advantage of a parent who works for an airline like Ringo. 

Burch I believe is set to go to Clemson currently... I have a hard time seeing them win out AND keep all current commits on the DL... But could be wrong. Frankly, I prefer to see him on campus on a weekend where we can make him the center of attention. The group thing I don't think I'd gonna move the needle for his mom who is running the show. 

Bdawg58 and RandomFan like this

2 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Confirmed: 
QB - C Beck 
DB - K Ringo 
OL - S Van Pran 
OT - T Ratledge 
DB - J Kimber 

Potentially: 
DB - D McGlothern 
RB - T Bigsby 

Smallwood for Rivals has confirmed Washington and McClellan. Also this will be a big weekend for 2021 recruits as well, Micah Morris has also confirmed he’s coming this weekend and expect more 

SacFalcFan and 95Dawg like this

22 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Smallwood for Rivals has confirmed Washington and McClellan. Also this will be a big weekend for 2021 recruits as well, Micah Morris has also confirmed he’s coming this weekend and expect more 

yep both guys have been talked to and confirmed they will be in athens.. washington going to tennessee on friday and in athens sat-sunday. 

2 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

I'd really like to hope and believe some of this is cases of 1 at their position being a take, and wanting to get their spot before it mgith be given to another

Bdawg58 likes this

Posted (edited)

Article on Van Pran from earlier today: https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/priority-ol-target-sedrick-van-pran-previews-his-big-weekend-family-visit

And...

JeffSentell Posts: 3,626 admin

11:52AM edited 11:53AM

New name to think about for this weekend: 3-star OL Brady Ward from Mobile in Alabama. He is a new name on the board at OL for this class. Has been watched for awhile. Camped there in early June.

He is 6 feet, 8 inches with shoes off. About 315 pounds.

His father played at LSU, but he has no interest in joining that program. Nation's No. 46 OT on the 247Sports Composite. No. 551 overall.

Ward would be a clear redshirt candidate for UGA. Plans to be at Arkansas on Friday. Georgia on Saturday. FSU on Sunday.

That race seems to be down to Oklahoma and Georgia. Wants to play for a top O-line coach like Pittman in Athens or Bill Bendenbaugh in Norman.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7450017/5b8ad9a0bed6b408a8ad1ec0

Edited by RandomFan

10 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

I'd really like to hope and believe some of this is cases of 1 at their position being a take, and wanting to get their spot before it mgith be given to another

Seems that Gilbert will also be a possibility too. He visits Clemson I think on Friday but talk is that he will come on Saturday and the same for Tank. 

1 hour ago, LawDawg said:

Ward's feet look way too slow.

At this point (things can change) I’d be surprised if we took another OL unless a Paris Johnson, not likely, or someone of that caliber wants in. I know y’all keep saying we are taking 25 but everything I’m hearing is max of 23. 

Rusty Mansell 
Have not confirmed 100% yet but....
Just got the 2nd text from a source and both are expecting Jordan Burch in Athens on Saturday.
Before I stamp my name on it, let me check more but that is word on the street this morning...
Carry On

:munch:

i don't see anyway we take ward.. we are in on too many high end targets to settle for a project like him. 

More up to date list from CZ over on Dawgnation...

2020:

OL - S Van Pran ✔️

TE - D Washington ✔️

DB - K Ringo ✔️

OT - B Ward ✔️

QB - C Beck (UGA) ✔️

OT - T Ratledge (UGA) ✔️

DB - J Kimber (UGA) ✔️

LB - M Sherman (UGA) ✔️

DT - J Carter (UGA) ✔️

RB - J McClellan (OK)

DE - J Burch

DT - C Brock (pwo ?)

Potentially 2020:

DB - D McGlothern

RB - T Bigsby

S - Ja Conley

S - A Williams (Oregon)

2021:

S - J Williams ✔️

S - A Henry ✔️

OT - A Mims

OT - M Morris

✔️ - Sentell Confirmed

95Dawg and LawDawg like this

Hoopergdawg 15908 posts

7 minutes agovia Mobile

From BOL

On Milton: This is a recruitment that’s been trending towards Georgia for the last few weeks. The five-star back took four official visits to his four finalists (Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Ohio State) and it’s the Bulldogs that are holding the momentum ahead of a July 29 commitment. I believe the Crimson Tide is in the No. 2 spot in the Milton camp and changed my 247Sports Crystal Ball to reflect that.

3 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Hoopergdawg 15908 posts

7 minutes agovia Mobile

From BOL

On Milton: This is a recruitment that’s been trending towards Georgia for the last few weeks. The five-star back took four official visits to his four finalists (Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Ohio State) and it’s the Bulldogs that are holding the momentum ahead of a July 29 commitment. I believe the Crimson Tide is in the No. 2 spot in the Milton camp and changed my 247Sports Crystal Ball to reflect that.

Lol.. they waited until now to update their fanbase?

29 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Hoopergdawg 15908 posts

7 minutes agovia Mobile

From BOL

Somebody had to do it 

2 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

Hoopergdawg 15908 posts

7 minutes agovia Mobile

From BOL

LOLOL.. about time..