Matt Ryan is ‘the most underrated quarterback in the NFL right now’

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/espn-s-mina-kimes-matt-ryan-is-the-most-underrated-quarterback-in-the-nfl-right-?fbclid=IwAR37EWPHzzalX44aDOX6sciCAEMJ89NFBlHULg3x6Niq52tMfF77IRgR_kc

Those paying attention during the 2018 season realize just how well Matt Ryan played during an ultimately disappointing year for the Falcons.

Although the team missed the playoffs for the first time since 2015, Ryan played to the standard he set during his MVP season in 2016. Given the injuries up front on the offensive line and the defensive struggles that placed a greater burden on Atlanta’s offense, an argument could be made that Ryan’s 2018 season was his best yet.

ESPN reporter Mina Kimes joined Bleacher Report’s “The Lefkoe Show” and praised Ryan’s performance last season, saying she was now a part of the “Matt Ryan Hive.” Ryan tends to be overlooked when it comes to national discussions of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and both Kimes and Adam Lefkoe believe he is deserving of greater praise.

“I think he is the most underrated quarterback in the NFL right now,” Kimes said. “He was excellent [in 2018] by every statistical measure, every advanced metric. He was a very good quarterback.”

In comparing Ryan’s 2018 season with his record-setting 2016 campaign, it’s clear just how similar they are.

Table inside Article
Season Completion pct. Yards Touchdowns Interceptions QB rating
2016 69.9 4,944 38 7 117.1
2018 69.4 4,924 35 7 108.1

Ryan had the third-most passing yards and passing touchdowns in the NFL last season, and he had the fifth-fewest interceptions among starting quarterbacks.

Kimes and Lefkoe made sure to mention the skill players surrounding Ryan, and the trio of Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu and Calvin Ridley at receiver as well as the emergence of Austin Hooper at tight end would make any quarterback’s life a bit easier. Ryan continues to play at a very high level, however, and he is the top reason why Atlanta’s offense remains a handful for NFL defenses.

“I have zero concerns about this offense,” Kimes said.

Edited by VTCrunkler

I'm hearing more people diss Ryan by saying "he has Julio Jones, so who couldn't be a good QB throwing to that guy?" The same people try to elevate OBJ over Julio by saying "he didn't have Matt Ryan throwing him the ball". If you listen closely, you'll hear what they're really saying: "We don't want to give anybody from Atlanta the credit he deserves for being great."

1 minute ago, JayOzOne said:

I'm hearing more people diss Ryan by saying "he has Julio Jones, so who couldn't be a good QB throwing to that guy?" The same people try to elevate OBJ over Julio by saying "he didn't have Matt Ryan throwing him the ball". If you listen closely, you'll hear what they're really saying: "We don't want to give anybody from Atlanta the credit he deserves for being great."

Right. Imagine obj if he had Matt? And that’s the truth. But the truth of the matter is all great qb’s should have a great pass catcher. 

28 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Bang!  They can’t have it both ways

2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

In comparing Ryan’s 2018 season with his record-setting 2016 campaign, it’s clear just how similar they are.

Table inside Article
Season Completion pct. Yards Touchdowns Interceptions QB rating
2016 69.9 4,944 38 7 117.1
2018 69.4 4,924 35 7 108.1

Six different starting OGs, no Probowl RB, a RT that fell off a cliff. Yet Matt still put up numbers. And somehow people blame Sark. 

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

Remember the Hopkins vs Julio twitter vote a few weeks ago?

“Julio has Matt!” Was Hopkins Defense.

see?

35 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Six different starting OGs, no Probowl RB, a RT that fell off a cliff. Yet Matt still put up numbers. And somehow people blame Sark. 

8 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Put Brady or breeze behind that same line and the results would be:?

I mean it could be as simple as Sark had playcalling and strat tendencies that Falcons didn’t like moving forward.

Maybe film showed the pass game and Ryan in General bailed him out while failing to establish a reliable running game all season?

At minimum, DQ wanted to trust whomever he left over the offense while going back to being fulltime DC.

2 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

I firmly believe and have for a good while now, Ryan makes those around him better...period.  This offense would not be what it is with just anyone behind center, as many believe it would be just because we have Julio.  Julio is great to have on your team, but would any other QB currently active be able to withstand the consistent pressure Ryan has been getting and still get the ball to Julio and still put up the numbers he did?  Doubtful.  Heck, we saw how Rogers folded under pressure and Brady is the same.  Would any other QB currently active play a full season with the hits and blows Matt takes day in and day out, but gets back up?  I don't think so.  Brady, the GOAT, would had trouble last year if he had the line Ryan had...he would most likely be inactive, injured and on the bench.         

6 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Ryan made freaking Harry Douglas look like a pro bowler in 2013. Montana had Rice, Manning had Harrison and Wayne. Rodgers and Jody Nelson. Bree’s had Colston and now Thomas. Both QB and WR make each other look better. Imagine Larry Fitzgerald playing with Matt.

Matthew Ryan is what he is. An above average QB that has all of the tools to take a really solid, all-around team far into the playoffs. It's been proven. Don't take this as a knock because  20 or so NFL teams would love to have him right now. Maybe more with a cheaper contract.  

They are judging him on the lack of championships.  Win one and he narrative changes on Ryan.  Thats what they are looking for.  I have relatives that live in New England.  Whenever I TRY to give Ryan credit as one of the best, they shut me down with the lack of Superbowl talk.  I know first hand for that reason how people outside of the Falcons fanbase think of him...

Edited by slickgadawg

1 hour ago, mvcrook said:

Matthew Ryan is what he is. An above average QB that has all of the tools to take a really solid, all-around team far into the playoffs. It's been proven. Don't take this as a knock because  20 or so NFL teams would love to have him right now. Maybe more with a cheaper contract.  

Exactly, Matt Ryan is what he is - just like the article and the ESPN reporter said UNDERRATED. How about a future HOF? It could happen. You said 20 teams would love to have him right now maybe with a cheaper contract. That’s sound like a knock to me because he’s better than top 12 and deserves the money he’s making. A lot of teams would love to have Brees,  Rodgers, Brady, or other top 4-8 QB for less money. Let’s not make it sound like he’s just another above average QB making too much money.

Edited by Atl Falcon

If our Oline shows up and can give MR2 a solid 3-4 seconds, we could exceed the 2016 season numbers.  Just go watch the Riley highlights from his rookie year.   That dude can spin CB’s like a record.  Defenses can’t cover him and double JJ and Sanu and hooper for 3 seconds. 

Also, I think MR2 has a lot more say on the plays and going no huddle.  DK was a good OC, I’m confident he will be even better this time around.  

Should be exciting. 

Cant wait.

4 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Put Brady or breeze behind that same line and the results would be:?

4 hours ago, Schwarzwald said:

I mean it could be as simple as Sark had playcalling and strat tendencies that Falcons didn’t like moving forward.

Maybe film showed the pass game and Ryan in General bailed him out while failing to establish a reliable running game all season?

At minimum, DQ wanted to trust whomever he left over the offense while going back to being fulltime DC.

Right, It was Matt. Thats my point. He's a **** gem who people just dont understand how good he is.

22 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Ryan had to endure Trueblood, Lamar Holmes, Garret Reynolds and Konz as his OL in 2013. His Wr were Harry Douglas, Drew Davis and Kevin c

wow.  this says it all.  and this was way before shannahans system.  again, put breeze or brady behind this line and.................

that being said Harry D was a fantastic college player and its no surprise he did well.  but he had matt throwing to him.  

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

wow.  this says it all.  and this was way before shannahans system.  again, put breeze or brady behind this line and.................

that being said Harry D was a fantastic college player and its no surprise he did well.  but he had matt throwing to him.  

HD after blowing his knee was never the same. HD in his rookie year was exciting. Unfortunately he will always be remembered for  slipping in the NFCG. It would have been waking TD.