Which Falcons collapse was bigger. The Duel in Dixie in 1980 or 28-3 ?

Spts1

Which is the bigger loss?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the bigger loss?

• Duel in Dixie
    • 28-3

All 18 years apart, and it came full cycle in 2016 for our final year in the Georgia Dome. I really hope it didn't come full cycle by that year but I wouldn't be surprised, depending on how long we can recover from 28-3, and sooner or later, the Panthers, Vikings, or even the Browns. :ninja:

Edited by mqg96

2 hours ago, mqg96 said:

All 18 years apart, and it came full cycle in 2016 for our final year in the Georgia Dome. I really hope it didn't come full cycle by that year but I wouldn't be surprised, depending on how long we can recover from 28-3, and sooner or later, the Panthers, Vikings, or even the Browns. :ninja:

The NFL has The Duel in Dixie as one of the greatest games in NFL history....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL's_Greatest_Games

Edited by slickgadawg

This is not even close, we had the superbowl won then in the greatest act of selfless philanthropy Kyle giftwraps a Lombardi donation to Darth Sidious at 11 O'clock. No amount of Heimlich maneuvers will ever fix that choke job, one of the worst in all of sports, nearly gave me a heart attack.

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

What’s sad is that the question is based in fact so it’s not trolling.  We own the 4 largest blown leads in NFC playoff history.  2 in the Divisional Rounds, 1 in NGCCG & 1 in the SB

Yea pointing out our franchises horrible history isn't trolling, If the truth hurts that bad some people need to re look at things.

Hawks, Falcons and to a lesser extent Braves are some of the worst performing franchises in each of their sports and all known for blowing it at the worst time. Even though the Braves won a ton of division titles they become more known for blowing playoff series in epic fashion as well.

Our teams only really win in order to let us down further

These are facts ATL/Ga sports fans should already know.

21 hours ago, MAD597 said:

28-3 was the worst single game collapse in championship sports history. Proof positive this team will NEVER win a SB. If you can't seal the deal 28-3 late in the 3rd qtr your team should just disband.

In the entire history of footall? Yes

In the entire history of sports? That's debatable.

Personally I don't think it was worse than Lebron and the Cavs coming back from a 3-1 deficit in the NBA Finals back in 2016 against Curry and the 73-9 Warriors.

2 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

In entire history of footall? Yes

In entire history of sports? That's debatable.

Personally I don't think it was worse than Lebron and the Cavs coming back from a 3-1 deficit in the NBA Finals back in 2016 against Curry and the 73-9 Warriors.

Yankees blowing a 3-0 lead to the Red Sox in 2004 was equally as bad.

Braves sweep Yankees in NY to go home up 2-0 in the WS.  Lost 4 straight and IMO mentally ended the Braves dynasty.  If they win that WS and go back-to-back, maybe they end up with 4 during their run.

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Braves sweep Yankees in NY to go home up 2-0 in the WS.  Lost 4 straight and IMO mentally ended the Braves dynasty.  If they win that WS and go back-to-back, maybe they end up with 4 during their run.

I honestly forgot all about those.

Outside of that one WS title in the 95' season, I blocked most of 90's Braves out of my memory lol.

It was a really fun decade, but it was also very stressful and painful time as well because it could've been so much more.

9 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I've thought about that too. Personally, I think it's easier to accept blowing a series lead versus a single game. Don't get me wrong, they're still epic collapses, but there are other variables involved, like: traveling (home vs. the road), days in between games, having different pitchers, etc. In the Super Bowl, you're up 28-3 with mere minutes left and blow that. 

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I honestly forgot all about those.

Outside of that one WS title in the 95' season, I blocked most of 90's Braves out of my memory lol.

It was a really fun decade, but it was also very stressful and painful time as well because it could've been so much more.

Lonnie F****** Smith & Charlie f****** Liebrandt can kiss my azzz in perpetuity

5 minutes ago, mvcrook said:

I've thought about that too. Personally, I think it's easier to accept blowing a series lead versus a single game. Don't get me wrong, they're still epic collapses, but there are other variables involved, like: traveling (home vs. the road), days in between games, having different pitchers, etc. In the Super Bowl, you're up 28-3 with mere minutes left and blow that. 

I don't know.

The Warriors were 73-9, which means they were just about as equally good traveling on the road as they were staying at home.

Lebron and the Cavs had to win 3 straight games. They also had to close out that series in game 7 on the road at Oracle, which was almost impossible to win at back during that season.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I don't know.

The Warriors were 73-9, which means they were just about as equally good traveling on the road as they were staying at home.

Lebron and the Cavs had to win 3 straight games. They also had to close out that series in game 7 on the road at Oracle, which was almost impossible to win at back during that season.

Or how about the mid-60’s Phillies.  Can’t remember the year.  But they were up 7 games with 12 remaining and lost all 12  to lose the division and a playoff spot.

14 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

I don't understand why obvious trolls like this are allowed and aren't just outright banned.

I made a thread entitled "  Why the Falcons will win the Superbowl this coming season".  You know about the thread because you went in it and tried to show somebody how to clown me with a gif from his phone.  You made ZERO responses to what is obviously a positive thread from me about the Falcons.  You pick and choose when to respond so that you can make remarks like you just did.   And " rateforless" cosigned you...:lol: 

Yeah, when the Falcons mess up I will clown them.  When they do good, I will give them credit.  They will win the Superbowl this season and 28-3 will be part of the MOTIVATION for the players who played in that game...

Edited by slickgadawg

5 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I made a thread entitled "  Why the Falcons will win the Superbowl this coming season".  You know about the thread because you went in it and tried to show somebody how to clown me with a gif from his phone.  You made ZERO responses to what is obviously a positive thread from me about the Falcons.  You pick and choose when to respond so that you can make remarks like you just did.   And " rateforless" cosigned you...:lol: 

Yeah, when the Falcons mess up I will clown them.  When they do good, I will give them credit.  They will win the Superbowl this season and 28-3 will be part of the MOTIVATION for the players who played in that game...

I never said you were a bad troll man. You're good at it. That's why you haven't been banned. Most won't notice it since you sprinkle in some positivity here and there. 

Also I was just trying to help show a poster how to post images/gifs here. I always help when I see someone struggle with that. That's why Athell tagged me. It wasn't "helping him clown you" stop taking things so personally.

Also clown the Falcons all you want. Don't come here and clown us. Majority here don't want to get on and be reminded of the two biggest blown leads this team has had. But hey, whatever gets you off man.

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I never said you were a bad troll man. You're good at it. That's why you haven't been banned. Most won't notice it since you sprinkle in some positivity here and there. 

Also I was just trying to help show a poster how to post images/gifs here. I always help when I see someone struggle with that. That's why Athell tagged me. It wasn't "helping him clown you" stop taking things so personally.

Also clown the Falcons all you want. Don't come here and clown us. Majority here don't want to get on and be reminded of the two biggest blown leads this team has had. But hey, whatever gets you off man.

Good response.  First, this thread honestly was just a conversation starter.  It was no sly attempt to clown the Falcons. If I want to clown them I will be direct.  A lot of board members don't know first hand about the loss back in 1980.  A lot of us that do have not forgot it.  As far as 28-3, why not talk about it?  That game should be super motivation for every Falcon and coach who participated in it.  Its one reason I believe the Falcons will win the Superbowl because once they get into the playoffs, the motivation to correct that loss will carry them to the championship.  The game against Philadelphia I don't count because I believe the Falcons got into the playoffs on talent but were not still over the 2016 loss.  Its been almost 3 years now so I think they will pull it off...