Which Falcons collapse was bigger. The Duel in Dixie in 1980 or 28-3 ?

Spts1

Which is the bigger loss?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the bigger loss?

• Duel in Dixie
    • 28-3

You guys know about 28-3.  It a number that will be linked to the Falcons in the NFL.  Younger board members may not  know about " The Duel in Dixie" or may have just heard about it.  The 1980 Falcons were 12-4 and clearly the best team in the NFL.  Its the most COMPLETE Falcons team ever in my opinion.  The problem was, the Falcons were not respected because of their history.  Back in those days people rooted for the Cowboys and Steelers.  Even Georgia folks.  You had a hardcore group of Falcons fans that had suffered over the years and 1980 was suppose to be a redemption of sorts.  I knew for a fact that I was the only OPENLY Falcon rooter at my high school.

Things started well at Atlanta Fulton Stadium.  The Falcons controlled the game and jumped to a 24-10 lead heading into the 4th quarter.  Things were looking good for a chance to go to the NFC Championship the next week.  The Cowboys started creeping back but the Falcons still had them at 27-17 with 5 minutes to go.  Then it came apart.  In the opposite of how the 28-3 game went where the Falcons should have just kept pounding the Patriots into submission,  the 1980 game should have featured the Falcons continuing the exploit the Cowboy secondary like they did in the first half.  NO, they sat on a running game that the Cowboys were shutting down.  What makes the loss even worst was it was in Atlanta.

A lot of people will say the Superbowl loss was bigger because its the Superbowl. I say the 1980 loss was bigger because it was a break through year for the team.  It was clearly the best team in the NFL and it sat the franchise back 20 something years.  The franchise never recovered from that loss.

Image result for drew pearson 1980 playoffs vs falcons

HTTP://www.ajc.com/sports/football/for-1980-falcons-super-bowl-near-miss-still-stings/4UbVhsuVkNoaQ9iuOxNRWI/

"It's a painful moment," said defensive end Jeff Merrow. "It took me 10 years before I could even discuss it."

"We thought we were going to the Super Bowl, I think," Van Note said.

It started out looking that way. The Falcons opened a 24-10 lead after three quarters and led 27-17 after a field goal with 5:37 to play. Against a prevent defense, the Cowboys scored on the next possession, and then the Falcons went three-and-out on the next series. On third down, Bartkowski went to a hard count to draw an offside penalty. Cowboys defensive end Ed "Too Tall" Jones bit on the ploy, teetering along the line of scrimmage and ultimately right into the hole where Falcons running back Lynn Cain was headed. The Cowboys scored again to win.

Said Van Note, "It's the toughest loss I've ever had."

A few years ago, ESPN spoke with Merrow for a special on the game, an interview that opened old wounds and, as such, included a lot of four-letter words.

"We felt we were so ready for it and we got our hearts broken," he said.

Bartkowski wanted to believe better days could be ahead, but he knew better. "Being the realist, I said, ‘Man, we just lost our best chance to win a ring,'" he said.

Image result for 28-3

Image result for 28-3

Edited by slickgadawg

I was 17 when they blew the game against Dallas, so I remember that day quite well.  It was the most empty feeling, watching that lead disappear, and knowing the best team in the NFL had just blown its chance to win it all.  But there's no guarantee they would've beaten the Eagles in the NFC title game, therefore....

28-3 was by far worse simply because it was the Super Bowl and because it had been so lopsided for three quarters.  

Falcons own the following playoff distinctions:

1.  NFC Divisional Round: two largest blown leads in NFC playoff history, 1980 Falcons, 2012 Falcons

2.  Conference Game: largest blown lead in Conference Game history.  2012 Falcons

3.  Super Bowl: largest blown lead Super Bowl history. 2016 Falcons

• Non-Playoff Gem: surrendered just 9 ppg in 1977 but could not win more games than we lost.  Truly pathetic.  

¥.  Only in the ATL could you field the best defense ever and worst offense ever in the same season

11 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Falcons own the following playoff distinctions:

1.  NFC Divisional Round: two largest blown leads in NFC playoff history, 1980 Falcons, 2012 Falcons

2.  Conference Game: largest blown lead in Conference Game history.  2012 Falcons

3.  Super Bowl: largest blown lead Super Bowl history. 2016 Falcons

• Non-Playoff Gem: surrendered just 9 ppg in 1977 but could not win more games than we lost.  Truly pathetic.  

¥.  Only in the ATL could you field the best defense ever and worst offense ever in the same season

I'll add on another:  That 1977 team was so impotent on offense that they punted 105 times.   

ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE PUNTS IN FOURTEEN GAMES.  

7.5 PUNTS PER GAME!!!!!  

The bigger collapse would have to be losing the SB, when we had it won. I can't think of any reason that any game could be considered a bigger collapse, because not only did we lose the game but we also lost the Lombardi in that collapse.

18 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

28-3 is the biggest choke of all time. 

Jean Van de Velde is still the biggest choke job in sports history.  Up 3 strokes on the 72nd hole of the British Open.  All he needs to do is hit a 7 iron off the tee, again in the fairway and a sand wedge to the green.  Two puts and he wins with 2 strokes in hand.  Instead we saw this:

van-de-velde-anchor.jpg

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

I was 17 when they blew the game against Dallas, so I remember that day quite well.  It was the most empty feeling, watching that lead disappear, and knowing the best team in the NFL had just blown its chance to win it all.  But there's no guarantee they would've beaten the Eagles in the NFC title game, therefore....

28-3 was by far worse simply because it was the Super Bowl and because it had been so lopsided for three quarters.  

It was a physical game but I think the Falcons would have had enough to beat the Eagles the next week.  I knew Dallas would lose because the Falcons beat them up pretty good.  That Superbowl was weak.  Oakland won it as a wildcard...

16 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The 1st picture refutes the rigged theory floating around TATF.  If Blank knew the script called for a loss, that emotion in the picture would never be shown

Every NFL owner is a winner after the Superbowl...

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The loss in the 2012 NFCCG was worse than the 1980 loss to me.

That game didn't bother me as much.  It was bad though because of the receiver falling down.  In retrospect though, it looks like he might not even have had complete control of the ball anyway...

Image result for harry douglas falls down nfc championship game

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

They are all billionaires several times over.  I just don’t see money being their objective if their team is in the Super Bowl

Every NFL owner wins because of revenue sharing.  The worst team in the league got the same cut as the NFL championship team from revenue...