Falcons Fan MVP

How good do you think our offensive line will become?

40 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Vandy said:

Yup. Rookies usually struggle. Folks thinking Lindstrom/McGary are gonna waltz in and be like colts rookies were last year may be in for a disappointment. What colts rooks did was an anomaly. 

Well, this is why I hate comparisons. There will be unfair comparisons both positive and negative throughout the season and if they don’t live up to the MB hype, there will be folks talking about OL in the first all over again.

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

Yup. Rookies usually struggle. Folks thinking Lindstrom/McGary are gonna waltz in and be like colts rookies were last year may be in for a disappointment. What colts rooks did was an anomaly. 

I still think a best case scenario is Kaleb plays well, but Ty plays better and wins the job for 2019

Vandy likes this

31 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I still think a best case scenario is Kaleb plays well, but Ty plays better and wins the job for 2019

I’m pretty sure the job is Kaleb’s to lose....

9 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

count me as one of those.  i hope they just waltz in..at least they are dacing by the end of the season.  lets just say they have Great Expectations

I’m surrounded!!!!

Yo_Lover, vel, Ergo Proxy and 1 other like this

On 6/28/2019 at 2:26 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Our offensive line is pretty much set for the next 2 seasons. How good do you think this particular unit will become? This should definitely be the best line Matt Ryan has ever had in his career imo. Hopefully now teams like the Eagles and Vikings will fear us because if they can't get to Matt Ryan he will most likely pick them apart. The next 2 years should be fun for Matt Ryan and the running backs. What do you guys think?

Its been a loooooong time since I was pumped about our oline. I think both rooks start week one. This year they will be really goos. Next yesr they should be great. We will have a top 3-5 unit.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:14 AM, Vandy said:

Only reason I'm for starting them out the gate is to get it over with. I don't see a good spot during the season to switch them out unless you're banking on an injury. If it's close, roll with McGary. If Ty is just balling and making it hard to sit him, then I'd be fine with it. But it has to be a clear difference in the two.

The bye week is met with five straight NFC South matchups, starting with a road tilt vs NO. That's not the time to make an OL switch in my opinion. After that stretch, you are in the playoff hunt part of the schedule. Definitely not the time to make that kind of move. So it would have to be a pre-bye week switch, which I wouldn't get because you'd basically be saying "McGary was good enough, we just wanted to wait". I think it's either him day one or Ty all season unless he just sucks, at which point McGary will scare me. 

Vandy, Yo_Lover, Ergo Proxy and 1 other like this

On 6/28/2019 at 4:41 PM, Gold4425 said:

You hit it on the head "Summerhill" some automatically assume that because you are a high draft pick you will automatically start and star in the NFL. They are still rookies going up against NFL PROS some especially in the NFC SOUTH are All Pro. It may happen but most rookies won't be able to handle that type of heat. But I do believe in a year or two Matthews and our two rookies will be one of the top OL's in the NFL.

Exactly. They're talented and have great potential, but they will be going up against the best in the world across the LOS. It would hardly be fair to believe they can just step in and hold their own from the first snap of the regular season.

It would be great if one of them is able to step in and be effective immediately, but seems a stretch to hope that both will get it together that fast. Would love to see it though, don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure that at some point, these two are going to become beloved fixtures on this OL. I mean liked by us and beloved by MR2. :lol:

Chaz, Ergo Proxy and vel like this

35 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Exactly. They're talented and have great potential, but they will be going up against the best in the world across the LOS. It would hardly be fair to believe they can just step in and hold their own from the first snap of the regular season.

It would be great if one of them is able to step in and be effective immediately, but seems a stretch to hope that both will get it together that fast. Would love to see it though, don't get me wrong. I'm pretty sure that at some point, these two are going to become beloved fixtures on this OL. I mean liked by us and beloved by MR2. :lol:

I think Lindstrom steps in day one easily. McGary is the toss up. If he doesn't start week one, I don't know if he starts year one, barring injury. Not saying he isn't talented, but what I just explained in the post to Vandy above, I'm not sure when you make that switch midseason if he isn't ready week one. 

Ergo Proxy, Vandy and PokerSteve like this

3 hours ago, vel said:

Only reason I'm for starting them out the gate is to get it over with. I don't see a good spot during the season to switch them out unless you're banking on an injury. If it's close, roll with McGary. If Ty is just balling and making it hard to sit him, then I'd be fine with it. But it has to be a clear difference in the two.

The bye week is met with five straight NFC South matchups, starting with a road tilt vs NO. That's not the time to make an OL switch in my opinion. After that stretch, you are in the playoff hunt part of the schedule. Definitely not the time to make that kind of move. So it would have to be a pre-bye week switch, which I wouldn't get because you'd basically be saying "McGary was good enough, we just wanted to wait". I think it's either him day one or Ty all season unless he just sucks, at which point McGary will scare me. 

Agree completely. 

Ergo Proxy and vel like this

2 hours ago, vel said:

I think Lindstrom steps in day one easily. McGary is the toss up. If he doesn't start week one, I don't know if he starts year one, barring injury. Not saying he isn't talented, but what I just explained in the post to Vandy above, I'm not sure when you make that switch midseason if he isn't ready week one. 

If Ty starts Week 1, it’s his job to lose until 2020.  There would be no planned switch mid season

vel and Ergo Proxy like this

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

If Ty starts Week 1, it’s his job to lose until 2020.  There would be no planned switch mid season

Pretty much. He played well there last year so I'm not overly concerned if he gets the full offseason to play for a starting spot. It would take a bad injury or him just completely falling off, which if McGary couldn't beat him out would make me a little more nervous. 

7 hours ago, Monoxide said:

I’m in the process of watching all of BC’s games for 2017 and 2018. In 2017, Lindstrom played a lot of right tackle and looked phenomenal. In 2018, he didn’t allow a knockdown in the passing game against the likes of Clemson, Florida State, Syracuse, and others. This kid is going to be really, really good, and really soon. Mark my words, he will be a staple in our offensive line for a long time.

McGary I’m rooting for, but I’m still cautiously optimistic. I see him taking over right tackle in year 2 with Sambrailo keeping the right side this year. I would love nothing more than to be wrong on that.

Yeah, you nailed it. Lindstrom seems like a great get. Ol coach loves what he sees as well. A little more questionable with McGary but I like him. As they say "he ain't skeered". Only question his pass pro. Can't wait for PS to see them in action

Monoxide and PokerSteve like this