Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jidady

ESPN is suggesting...

78 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Kuwai will sign with Lakers

oh I know he likely will - give Lakers as good or better shot than Clips/Raps.   But I will bet you lunch that it will be a deal w/ a two year opt out.  80% chance he will be a free agent in 2021.  Not saying that would or should be the target in 2021 - a 30yr old Kawhi with injury history - but he will want that supermax deal then and by then he will have likely added a 3rd NBA Finals championship to his resume' and LeBron will be washed up.

Rest.Is.Coming likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He is a 2nd round player.  I like Bruno, but big IF

Draymond Green was the 35th pick, so this means nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

oh I know he likely will - give Lakers as good or better shot than Clips/Raps.   But I will bet you lunch that it will be a deal w/ a two year opt out.  80% chance he will be a free agent in 2021.  Not saying that would or should be the target in 2021 - a 30yr old Kawhi with injury history - but he will want that supermax deal then and by then he will have likely added a 3rd NBA Finals championship to his resume' and LeBron will be washed up.

If he signs with Lakers it’s a short term deal, no doubt.  2-3 years since LeBron will be done then.  Perhaps he signs with Clippers afterwards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

That's fair. I guess we did see Horford develop a 3, so it's possible to add one. I think he definitely matches up with what we want to do, and he gives us the flexibility to add a max FA still in 2020 or 2021 if my math is right. 

I wouldn't be fuming if we did it, but I also wouldn't be just jumping for joy.

Except Horford had a good midrange shot, was a  long 2 shooter so making the transition to 3 wasnt difficult, he also was good at the free throw line. 

Capela is a career 52.5% freethrow shooter.

tl;dr likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beef said:

Draymond Green was the 35th pick, so this means nothing.

Again, I like Bruno.  But pulling one name out of a hat is futile.  List the other 2nd round players drafted that year.  I think Middleton also was 2nd round that year.  Not a good success rate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rest.Is.Coming said:

If he signs with Lakers it’s a short term deal, no doubt.  2-3 years since LeBron will be done then.  Perhaps he signs with Clippers afterwards

I am not really worried about it right now.   Just want to enjoy a really young exciting team w/ talent.   In a few years I will start putting expectations on them.

Given a total of TWO of my teams winning titles in my lifetime - if only a championship will do - would have killed myself by now.  LOL, some on TATF might like that.

Let's just be glad we have a lot of young talent - cannot wait to watch it.   This core has chance to be good for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

KD staying with the Warriors if Kawhi goes to Lakers. 

I have no idea why he would go to Knicks  or Nets.   He definitely should stay in GS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jayu70 said:

Except Horford had a good midrange shot, was a  long 2 shooter so making the transition to 3 wasnt difficult, he also was good at the free throw line. 

Capela is a career 52.5% freethrow shooter.

Capela will not shoot 3’s.  But our Center has to have 3 qualities: great defender that balances out Collins, effective pick & roll on offense, effective switching on defensive pick & roll’s.  

Shooting 3’s is not an absolute need from our Center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He is a 2nd round player.  I like Bruno, but big IF

Draymond Greene was a 2nd rounder too.

Edited by jayu70
Beef likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rest.Is.Coming said:

Again, I like Bruno.  But pulling one name out of a hat is futile.  List the other 2nd round players drafted that year.  I think Middleton also was 2nd round that year.  Not a good success rate

Not just naming a name for the he!! of it, I just don’t see the guy in this video being an average joe.  There’s clearly more to him than just a “second rounder”.

 

 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if it's a 2021 pick I would do it because they will suck or if they give an unconditional pick in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I am not really worried about it right now.   Just want to enjoy a really young exciting team w/ talent.   In a few years I will start putting expectations on them.

Given a total of TWO of my teams winning titles in my lifetime - if only a championship will do - would have killed myself by now.  LOL, some on TATF might like that.

Let's just be glad we have a lot of young talent - cannot wait to watch it.   This core has chance to be good for awhile.

G-dawg we need to pin this for the nonbelievers!  Good post man!

g-dawg and FalconsIn2012 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear, ESPN's belief is that we would have to give up the first round pick.

Their thought is that we're getting the better player back.

I think that deal is a no-brainer if they give us a first round pick, too. We could easily flip Capela for assets. The complexity is whether we're better off with a better player for $12 million more a year than Len or are happy with Len outplaying his contract and earning himself a better deal when he walks in free agency.

There's also a chance we flip Len at some point this year. He's good for 20 solid minutes as a role player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jidady said:

Just to be clear, ESPN's belief is that we would have to give up the first round pick.

Their thought is that we're getting the better player back.

I think that deal is a no-brainer if they give us a first round pick, too. We could easily flip Capela for assets. The complexity is whether we're better off with a better player for $12 million more a year than Len or are happy with Len outplaying his contract and earning himself a better deal when he walks in free agency.

There's also a chance we flip Len at some point this year. He's good for 20 solid minutes as a role player.

Capela isn't cheap himself and len has the ability to shoot. Capela had 2 3pt attempts last year. Len had over 200 and Dedmon had over 300. I am not even sure Len will be more expensive than Capela on the open market. Teams are going to spend themselves silly this year, which means next year could see tighter purse strings. 

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rest.Is.Coming said:

Capela will not shoot 3’s.  But our Center has to have 3 qualities: great defender that balances out Collins, effective pick & roll on offense, effective switching on defensive pick & roll’s.  

Shooting 3’s is not an absolute need from our Center

Did you change your name 2012?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Comparing apples and oranges here.  Capela is the better defender but Montrez Harrell ( who I've been scouting and want) is the better offensive player because of better handles.  It comes down to WHERE the emphasis Travis wants to place on his center and the cost.  As I study Capela more though his major upside is he can clean up the shaky defense the Hawks have in the paint.  I love Harrell but I agree with @Falconsin2012  on this one.  Travis has a excellent track record in the draft so why not bet on Hunter and Reddish becoming solid players and go ahead and trade Len and that future 1st for Capela. (where the first is coming from is what I don't get yet ). I feel its a good move for the Hawks.

Getting Harrell would be CLEANER because he is cheaper and is unrestricted after next season but this is about developing a core NOW if they get Capela.  If they wait on Harrell they could lose him in bidding and even if they win his rights thru free agency its still a year out to develop him into the system.   

On a side note the ONE player I want the Hawks to covet and wait on is Vanfleet.  They can move Turner off primary backup point guard into the 2.  

Adjusted 2021 Atlanta Hawks:

pg  Young, Vanfleet

sg Huerter, Turner

sf  Hunter, Reddish, 

pf Collins, Spellman, Fernando

c  Capela or Harrell, Fernando

 

Bembry

Anderson

 

Edited by slickgadawg
FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Comparing apples and oranges here.  Capela is the better defender but Montrez Harrell ( who I've been scouting and want) is the better offensive player because of better handles.  It comes down to WHERE the emphasis Travis wants to place on his center and the cost.  As I study Capela more though his major upside is he can clean up the shaky defense the Hawks have in the paint.  I love Harrell but I agree with @Falconsin2012  on this one.  Travis has a excellent track record in the draft so why not bet on Hunter and Reddish becoming solid players and go ahead and trade Len and that future 1st for Capela. (where the first is coming from is what I don't get yet ). I feel its a good move for the Hawks.

Getting Harrell would be CLEANER because he is cheaper and is unrestricted after next season but this is about developing a core NOW if they get Capela.  If they wait on Harrell they could lose him in bidding and even if they win his rights thru free agency its still a year out to develop him into the system.   

On a side note the ONE player I want the Hawks to covet and wait on is Vanfleet.  They can move Turner off primary backup point guard into the 2.  

Adjusted 2021 Atlanta Hawks:

pg  Young, Vanfleet

sg Huerter, Turner

sf  Hunter, Reddish, 

pf Collins, Spellman

c  Capela or Harrell, Dedmon

 

Bembry

Anderson

 

Good post.  My only concern is so much youth.  But if things pan out, that could be the NBA’s best lineup in 3-4 years.  Let them build confidence and get used to playing with each other.  

Would love a microwave scorer off the bench.  Carston would have been perfect but the Celtics got him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cwell1 said:

Capela is a product of Houston. He’s a complete dud as soon as he leaves there. No, to that future headache

But if you look at it, he would be used in EXACTLY the same way in Atlanta.  Both teams would surround him with shooters and Young has already shown he is one of the best pick and roll point guards in the league.... The tremendous upside is he would bring defense to a team that lacks it big time in the paint...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

What is this fascination with Capela??? We drafted a similar player in Bruno!!!

Depth and a solid rotation...  Len and Dedmon GONE...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good post.  My only concern is so much youth.  But if things pan out, that could be the NBA’s best lineup in 3-4 years.  Let them build confidence and get used to playing with each other.  

Would love a microwave scorer off the bench.  Carston would have been perfect but the Celtics got him

And I had forgot about Fernando.  THATS how good Travis has been in the draft.  Your front court could have Collins, Fernando, Spellman and Capela/Harrell.   I'm not worried about Youth.  They have to play themselves into experience at some point or another like Golden State did...

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

But if you look at it, he would be used in EXACTLY the same way in Atlanta.  Both teams would surround him with shooters and Young has already shown he is one of the best pick and roll point guards in the league.... The tremendous upside is he would bring defense to a team that lacks it big time in the paint...

No he wouldn't, the main PnR action is with John Collins,not Capela. Trae/John PnR is effective because Dedmon/Len can clear the lane for the action.

Capela doesn't shoot or pass well enough from the PnR to say 'surround him with shooters'

Better defense on the wing (which I asdume we have upgraded) will help with defense in the paint.

Beef, No.11 and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

No he wouldn't, the main PnR action is with John Collins,not Capela. Trae/John PnR is effective because Dedmon/Len can clear the lane for the action.

Capela doesn't shoot or pass well enough from the PnR to say 'surround him with shooters'

Better defense on the wing (which I asdume we have upgraded) will help with defense in the paint.

Who says they can't pick and roll with Capela on some plays and not Collins?  Expand your playbook.  Thats what made Bud a great head coach. He took Popovich's playbook and expanded it in Atlanta.  Capela averaged 16 points a game on a team that tosses up 3 pointers and Atlanta does the same thing. This is not complicated.  Teams like Golden State STAY loaded with talent because they don't put their eggs in one or two baskets...

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0