Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jidady

ESPN is suggesting...

78 posts in this topic

a Hawks/Rockets trade. They give us Capela for Alex Len and a future first round pick.

Capela's younger and better. Len's $12 million cheaper.

Who hangs up the phone first, us or them?

I think Schlenk would pass on it just because he may want to just see what he has in the young core first before making any moves like this.

How many year does Capela have left on his contract?

Oh and to answer your question, Hawks hang up first. Rockets are desperate.

g-dawg likes this

On 6/27/2019 at 10:48 PM, jayu70 said:

Hawks pass, they would have just drafted the younger, cheaper version in Hayes. 

Man, the Rockets rather sacrifice whatever depth they have just to get Jimmy Butler, who I believe would be an awful mix with the Harden and Paul feud already going on.

Butler would also not be happy with Rockets and that Harden dominating the ball offense.

jidady and jeffro2000 like this

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I think Schlenk would pass on it just because he may want to just see what he has in the young core first befor making any moves like this.

How many year does Capela have left on his contract?

Oh and to answer your question, Hawks hang up first. Rockets are desperate.

A. I agree that the Rockets are desperate, as they should be.

B. Capela has four years on the contract he signed before last year at an extremely reasonable rate of $62.4 million or an average of $16.6 million. 

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

10 hours ago, wuskillzz said:

Capela is solid.  I am not sure what the Rockets are thinking.

It’s all about cap room.  Capela a really good player but not a superstar.

”Really Good” is enemy of “Great” in the NBA.

No.11, jayu70, VTCrunkler and 1 other like this

He's not bad, but I don't want to be locked in with him for 4 more years. Let's see what happens after this year. This should be another year just to let things happen 

jayu70 and DawnOfThemBirds like this

I was asking for this pre draft.  Yes please.  Clint covers for Collins weakness in defense.  Plus his 15 foot shot is acceptable.  We likely be a 4th seed next year in EC

He is a better rebounding version of Serge Ibaka.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

FWIW, he was 13th in PER last season. I'm ambivalent about their trade suggestion, but he's a player on the cusp of "Great". And he's being paid like he's "Good". So, I can see why it might appeal to Atlanta.

g-dawg likes this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Assuming Hunter and Reddish pan out, what position are we going to spend a max contract on.  We have our 1-4 set.  Center is the missing piece.  

Different story if Hunter or Reddish bust 

g-dawg likes this

28 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I was asking for this pre draft.  Yes please.  Clint covers for Collins weakness in defense.  Plus his 15 foot shot is acceptable.  We likely be a 4th seed next year in EC

He is a better rebounding version of Serge Ibaka.

My biggest issue with him is that he is not a great shooter at all. Shooting isn't 100% necessary, but I love having 5 guys on the floor who can shoot at all times.

g-dawg likes this

3 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

My biggest issue with him is that he is not a great shooter at all. Shooting isn't 100% necessary, but I love having 5 guys on the floor who can shoot at all times.

He isn’t knocking down 3’s, but he has a decent mid range shot. But our center has to balance out Collins defensive weaknesses. 

14 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Hawks pass, they would have just drafted the younger, cheaper version in Hayes. 

Not so sure Schlenk passes this up. Capela may cost more, but first round picks are valuable regardless of where they are. Plus Len is a free agent in 2020.

59 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Assuming Hunter and Reddish pan out, what position are we going to spend a max contract on.  We have our 1-4 set.  Center is the missing piece.  

Different story if Hunter or Reddish bust 

But that’s the point.  Schlenk isn’t going to commit to salary until he knows what he has with this current team.   Hawks aren’t winning anything significant in 2019/20.

Schlenk has no desire to “be good” - he wants championships. Could Capela be a piece?  Maybe 2-3 yrs from now when rest of team is ready.

Right now, it’s all about flexibility.  Making a trade for Capela would give Schlenk less flexibility- not more.

If Schlenk did it, I would support it because I believe in him and his vision - but I don’t think Capela, at this time, is part of the plan.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

But that’s the point.  Schlenk isn’t going to commit to salary until he knows what he has with this current team.   Hawks aren’t winning anything significant in 2019/20.

Schlenk has no desire to “be good” - he wants championships. Could Capela be a piece?  Maybe 2-3 yrs from now when rest of team is ready.

Right now, it’s all about flexibility.  Making a trade for Capela would give Schlenk less flexibility- not more.

If Schlenk did it, I would support it because I believe in him and his vision - but I don’t think Capela, at this time, is part of the plan.

Good post.  

Ill counter with this: if Hunter & Reddish pan out, where are we spending all the CAP room we will soon have?  4 starters on rookie contracts.  Why not bet on your scouting ability and assume Reddish/Hunter pan out?  If they do, the only place to use CAP is at the Center position.  Capela’s are not always available

58 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He isn’t knocking down 3’s, but he has a decent mid range shot. But our center has to balance out Collins defensive weaknesses. 

That's fair. I guess we did see Horford develop a 3, so it's possible to add one. I think he definitely matches up with what we want to do, and he gives us the flexibility to add a max FA still in 2020 or 2021 if my math is right. 

I wouldn't be fuming if we did it, but I also wouldn't be just jumping for joy.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good post.  

Ill counter with this: if Hunter & Reddish pan out, where are we spending all the CAP room we will soon have?  4 starters on rookie contracts.  Why not bet on your scouting ability and assume Reddish/Hunter pan out?  If they do, the only place to use CAP is at the Center position.  Capela’s are not always available

What if Bruno Fernando comes in and plays well defensively? Not Capela level, but decent along with upside offensively?

FalconsIn2012, Xero and jayu70 like this

16 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

What if Bruno Fernando comes in and plays well defensively? Not Capela level, but decent along with upside offensively?

He is a 2nd round player.  I like Bruno, but big IF

VTCrunkler likes this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

He is a 2nd round player.  I like Bruno, but big IF

Wasn't Bruno projected to be a 1st rounder though?

There have been 2nd round picks that have came in and did well in the NBA.

Xero and FalconsIn2012 like this

5 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Wasn't Bruno projected to be a 1st rounder though?

There have been 2nd round picks that have came in and did well in the NBA.

I agree.  But Capela is a known quantity.  Abounds, defense and good on pick & roll on both ends.

if we keep Collins, those are the qualities our Center must have.  Plus he has playoff experience while providing a veteran presence. We could wait two years but why?

40 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good post.  

Have you ever heard the phrase - "Don't make a decision until you have to make a decision"  ?

Sorry 2012, but you are chasing a rabbit right now.   I will be glad to eat crow if Schlenk makes this move but don't believe he will.  2019/2020 season is all about letting the kids play and figuring out what you got - and hopefully it is what you hoped you would get if your are Schlenk.

Hawks have been sucking up bad expiring contracts on one year deals for draft picks.  That may eventually flip but it isn't likely to be this year.   Rockets need assets - aka "draft picks" back in trade for Capela.   Hawks aren't giving away assets for Capela in 2019/2020.   I don't think they are.   

Plus, I don't even think the Hawks have room to take Capela's contract.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Have you ever heard the phrase - "Don't make a decision until you have to make a decision"  ?

Sorry 2012, but you are chasing a rabbit right now.   I will be glad to eat crow if Schlenk makes this move but don't believe he will.  2019/2020 season is all about letting the kids play and figuring out what you got - and hopefully it is what you hoped you would get if your are Schlenk.

Plus, I don't even think the Hawks have room to take Capela's contract.

What if it’s time to make a decision but there are no quality options to do so with.

Ot a better question, what’s the downside?  Isn’t having all 6 of your top 6 in rotation being 21 or younger a concern?

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

What if it’s time to make a decision but there are no quality options to do so with.

Ot a better question, what’s the downside?  Isn’t having all 6 of your top 6 in rotation being 21 or younger a concern?

you are talking about the weak 2020 free agency class?  I don't think 2020 will be the year either.   By 2021, we will know what we have on current roster and what we need - there will be good players in that class.    There will likely be good players in that class that you don't even know their names just yet.   Some of these players in this historic class may do "opt outs" as well - I already started a thread about Kawhi being an "opt out guy" for 2021 - when he will have the 10yrs and can sign the "super-max" deal that he cannot sign now.

Capela is a good player - if he was a GREAT player, he would already be traded.   Rockets know more about Capela than any other NBA team.  Rockets are trying to "sell high" on him.  Think about it - the Rockets have him, have had him, signed him to a long-term deal - and now are desperate to trade him.   Stop me when the warning bells start going off in your head.

jayu70 likes this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

you are talking about the weak 2020 free agency class?  I don't think 2020 will be the year either.   By 2021, we will know what we have on current roster and what we need - there will be good players in that class.    There will likely be good players in that class that you don't even know their names just yet.   Some of these players in this historic class may do "opt outs" as well - I already started a thread about Kawhi being an "opt out guy" for 2021 - when he will have the 10yrs and can sign the "super-max" deal that he cannot sign now.

Capela is a good player - if he was a GREAT player, he would already be traded.   Rockets know more about Capela than any other NBA team.  Rockets are trying to "sell high" on him.  Think about it - the Rockets have him, have had him, signed him to a long-term deal - and now are desperate to trade him.   Stop me when the warning bells start going off in your head.

Kuwai will sign with Lakers