FalconsIn2020

Falcons Banking on Takk:

58 posts in this topic

The Falcons are banking on Takkarist McKinley breaking out

4c8e187b72ddd6862c9083dc7de7428f?s=150&r
Posted on June 13, 2019
dcr18100707544 atl at pit

Since the Falcons once again ignored their pass rush this offseason, all the talk has been about whether Vic Beasley can regain his 2016 All-Pro form. That would be ideal, but after four years of watching Beasley, I’ve come to the conclusion he is what he is. If you’re waiting for him to rack up 12+ sacks again, don’t hold your breath. He’s yet to develop any secondary pass rushing moves, and it’s challenging to sack quarterbacks with speed when there aren’t many teammates that can push the pocket. If the Falcons don’t want to get shredded again defensively; they need Takk McKinely to start putting up first-round pick numbers.

McKinely is about as wild of a character that you will find in the NFL. On draft night, he took over the stage with an incredibly passionate speech capped off with an emphatic F-bomb. Over this past offseason, he was hospitalized with mental illness, and when asked about it at OTAs, his response was “I’m good.” Actually, that was his response to every question the media threw at him, providing another example of Takk being Takk.

Embedded video

Falcons LB @Takk McKinley giving Beast Mode a run for his money with his press conference answers

Spoiler: He's good. (via @Wes_nship)

Looks like the Falcons found themselves a heavier Marshawn Lynch, and I’m all for it, as long as he takes the next step on the football field.

McKinley had six sacks as a reserve in 2017 and added two more in the postseason, extremely promising for a rookie. Pass rushers tend to take a giant step forward in their second season – just look at the careers of Justin Houston, Khalil Mack, and even Vic Beasley Jr. to name a few. McKinley didn’t have that type of meteoric rise, at least not in the sack department.

He battled injuries early in the season, missing a week three matchup against New Orleans. Oddly, however, the first half of the season is where Takk did most of his damage. In the first three games, he recorded 4.5 sacks and only had 2.5 the rest of the season, including a seven-game stretch, where he went sackless.

That’s far from what the Falcons were looking for when they drafted him 26th overall, but sacks don’t always tell the whole story. According to Next Gen Stats, McKinley had the second overall pressure rate in the NFL last season, and he’s surrounded by some quality company.

The Bills continued their busy offseason by locking up DE Jerry Hughes to a two-year extension.@Iam_jerryhughes was the most productive pass rusher in the NFL last season according to Next Gen Stats, generating a QB pressure on 16.2% of his pass rushes in 2018.#BillsMafia

The one player in front of him – Jerry Hughes – has long been among the most vaunted pass rushers in football, but the three players behind him might be regarded as the three best defensive players in the game. Sacks are sexy, but pressures are equally as important. In year three, McKinley needs to work on making the most out of every one of those opportunities because it is unlikely he gets much help from his teammates.

A couple of weeks ago, when speaking to the media, Dan Quinn said McKinley has intentionally leaned out and been working on his conditioning. As far as what he and Quinn will be working on leading up to the season – developing more pass rushing moves.

The Falcons haven’t had a reliable pass rush since 2004. Glancing at their roster, that isn’t going to change in 2019. Atlanta is going to have trouble sacking quarterback – with McKinley being the one legitimate hope on the edge. The Falcons need him to continue to ramp up the pressure and rack up double digits sacks this year, or this defense is going to be plagued by the same problems from a year ago.

I suspect this is also what Quinn has Vic working on this offseason:

Quinn on Takk: “His edge-setting and the way he runs stunts, he’s got this fantastic bull-rush, and now we are adding the other part of rushes with his hands,” Quinn said. “I think when we complete that piece, we are going to have a really difficult player to deal with,” D. Orlando Ledbetter of the AJC reports.

Hes more than capable.  Just need the middle to do their part. He's come in lighter as well so we will see how that plays out. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Vic’s first 2 seasons: 32 games, 65 tackles, 19.5 sacks, 21 QB hits, 8 FF, 13 TFL. 

Takk’s first 2 seasons: 31 games, 44 tackles, 13 sacks, 25 QB hits, 2 FF, 14 TFL.

We all hate Vic, but love Takk. Why? 

Fine me later. 

He cussed on stage and has a resting ***** face so everyone assumes he's tough. 

Vic loves Jesus and does charity basketball games so he's soft.

Personally I want to see them both step up and stop being ******.

21 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Fine me later. 

I’m waiting for our ‘DL Guru’ to step up as well.

i think they all 3 will.....and they all 3 better. :ninja:

8 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Fine me later. 

Exactly what I knew someone would point out. Takk likes to talk. But I think it’s time he stop talking and actually have a break out season

Yo_Lover, Vandy, Ergo Proxy and 5 others like this

4 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Vic’s first 2 seasons: 32 games, 65 tackles, 19.5 sacks, 21 QB hits, 8 FF, 13 TFL. 

Takk’s first 2 seasons: 31 games, 44 tackles, 13 sacks, 25 QB hits, 2 FF, 14 TFL.

Because he gets consistent pressure?

Hmmm that pressure rate is a surprise, especially considering the players behind him on list.

16 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Hmmm that pressure rate is a surprise, especially considering the players behind him on list.

Talks number Seems kinda high to me

11 hours ago, Vandy said:

I’m waiting for our ‘DL Guru’ to step up as well.

i think they all 3 will.....and they all 3 better. 

If he were focused solely on DL there’s no doubt. They hire DL coaches for that. But on the other hand him taking over the defense I know we’ll see an overall incline. If the guy from miami is as good as advertised the DL should improve without Quinn being solely focused on DL. I think he will spend extra time with the DL than in previous years now that he’s the DC tho. 

Vandy, Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this

14 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Snap counts?

16 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Because VB has played more than 2 seasons.  He WAS loved after his 2nd season. 

One of the easier questions to answer. 

Flying Falcon and duckhoa like this

17 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

If I had to guess probably because Vic was drafted higher, has more collegiate accolades, came from a national championship powerhouse program and had more media fanfare before actually being drafted than Takk?

So all of that coupled with Takk coming off the bat as a likable guy with fire on draft night is more than likely why. Showing Takk has similar numbers to Vic in their first 2 season doesn't help.

30 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Because VB has played more than 2 seasons.  He WAS loved after his 2nd season. 

One of the easier questions to answer. 

Vic has actually done something. Takk has had 2 very average seasons. Fans just love him because he talks

7 minutes ago, Statick said:

If I had to guess probably because Vic was drafted higher, has more collegiate accolades, came from a national championship powerhouse program and had more media fanfare before actually being drafted than Takk?

So all of that coupled with Takk coming off the bat as a likable guy with fire on draft night is more than likely why. Showing Takk has similar numbers to Vic in their first 2 season doesn't help.

He doesn’t have similar numbers. Vic has several more sacks, tackles, and forced fumbles. And the point is, Takk hasn’t actually showed signs of being worth his draft selection. He’s been very average on the field but he talks a big game. Vic hasn’t been great either but he at least has a 1st team all pro season under his belt. And we hate him 

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

He doesn’t have similar numbers. Vic has several more sacks and forced fumbles. And the point is, Takk hasn’t actually showed signs of being worth his draft selection. He’s been very average on the field but he talks a big game. Vic hasn’t been great either but he at least has a 1st team all pro season under his belt. And we hate him 

Hate is a strong word. I think people dislike that Vic's production fell off a cliff after that 15 sack season.

PokerSteve, Ergo Proxy and duckhoa like this

11 minutes ago, Statick said:

Hate is a strong word. I think people dislike that Vic's production fell off a cliff after that 15 sack season.

I’m using the word “hate” bro. This place has completely turned on him. 

17 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think these stats are a little misleading because we all know Vic's breakout year was his 2nd season, which seems to be an aberration. They designed stunts and blitzes for Vic to accumulate those numbers and that was just a magical season in general. Not many of those sacks in his breakout season were due to his proficiency with his hands or because he could consistently beat guys with pass rushing moves. The love for Takk is more so due to people projecting for his potential. You can see on Sunday's that he just simply has a higher motor than Vic, he just needs to learn to finish and with that he'll start to get 10+ sacks a season. 

Also I'm not completely out on Vic but i am down on him, I think like most on this board that this season is make or break, he's gotta find his niche now.