Falcons In 2012

Best 7 Year Stretch in MLB History?

43 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, E. T. said:

Its like he was throwing wiffle balls...amazing!

The movement on his circle change was remarkable.

17 straight years of 15+ wins.  The HR record will be broken by a steroid free player before that record is beaten

Its amongst the 5 safest records in baseball. 

1. Maddux 15 wins for 17 straight years

2.  Cy Young: 749 Complete Games and just 511 wins.  Sort that one out

3.  Sam Crawford: 309 Triples

4.  Hank Aaron 6,856 Total Bases

5.  Enter Your Own Opinion

 

 

E. T. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The movement on his circle change was remarkable.

17 straight years of 15+ wins.  The HR record will be broken by a steroid free player before that record is beaten

Its amongst the 5 safest records in baseball. 

1. Maddux 15 wins for 17 straight years

2.  Ty Cobb 749 Complete Games

3.  Sam Crawford: 309 Triples

4.  Hank Aaron 6,856 Total Bases

5.  Enter Your Own Opinion

 

 

Agreed on that. The HR record will be broken eventually. 

I would put Cy Young's 511 wins up there. Sure it happened over 100 years ago, but no one is ever going to come close to that again.

You could also argue the DiMaggio hit streak, but I feel that one is more likely to be broken than any of the other ones. With the shift and such, all it takes is someone who can consistently beat it

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Agreed on that. The HR record will be broken eventually. 

I would put Cy Young's 511 wins up there. Sure it happened over 100 years ago, but no one is ever going to come close to that again.

You could also argue the DiMaggio hit streak, but I feel that one is more likely to be broken than any of the other ones. With the shift and such, all it takes is someone who can consistently beat it

I accidentally put down Ty instead of Cy...lol.

Let this blow your mind: Cy Young pitched 749 Complete Games and won 511 games.  

The wins are impressive but the fact he lost 238 games in which he pitched a complete game is staggering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I accidentally put down Ty instead of Cy...lol.

Let this blow your mind: Cy Young pitched 749 Complete Games and won 511 games.  

The wins are impressive but the fact he lost 238 games in which he pitched a complete game is staggering

I honestly wouldn't have thought much of it unless you said something about it lol. Cy Young put up some ridiculous numbers... 

At least he lost 238 games and not 283. Would have honestly just quit for the day if those numbers decided to haunt me again. No joke, my office got moved last year, and I got sent to room 328... why

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I honestly wouldn't have thought much of it unless you said something about it lol. Cy Young put up some ridiculous numbers... 

At least he lost 238 games and not 283. Would have honestly just quit for the day if those numbers decided to haunt me again. No joke, my office got moved last year, and I got sent to room 328... why

I see what you did there...

Both 238 and 28-3 add up to lucky #13...hmmm

And what about the Home Depot commercial where the house address was 283.  How did Blank let that one slip in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The movement on his circle change was remarkable.

17 straight years of 15+ wins.  The HR record will be broken by a steroid free player before that record is beaten

Its amongst the 5 safest records in baseball. 

1. Maddux 15 wins for 17 straight years

2.  Cy Young: 749 Complete Games and just 511 wins.  Sort that one out

3.  Sam Crawford: 309 Triples

4.  Hank Aaron 6,856 Total Bases

5.  Enter Your Own Opinion

 

 

Cal Ripken's games played streak. Ain't no one gonna top that in today's era of baseball where guys aren't allowed to play hurt or don't want to play hurt.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I accidentally put down Ty instead of Cy...lol.

Let this blow your mind: Cy Young pitched 749 Complete Games and won 511 games.  

The wins are impressive but the fact he lost 238 games in which he pitched a complete game is staggering

Just the way baseball was back in those days. They didn't have 25 man rosters. Pitchers pitched every couple of days and when they did they pitched the entire game regardless of the score. Heck, it wasn't until the 90s that 5 man rotations became standard. Prior to that it was 4 man rotations and back in Cy Young there may have been only 3 starting pitchers on the team. You're talking about starting 50 or 60 games a season. Pitching over 400 innings in a season. The numbers he put up are absolutely amazing but there's no way to understand it with the way baseball is played today. That's not even talking about the difference in the ball itself and the ball parks.

BTW, how many of you know that Cy Young pitched his last year for the Braves?

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Cal Ripken's games played streak. Ain't no one gonna top that in today's era of baseball where guys aren't allowed to play hurt or don't want to play hurt.

Or Jack Shields 39 consecutive Complete Games.

In modern era, maybe Orel Hershiser’s  67 consecutive inning scoreless strrak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Or Jack Shields 39 consecutive Complete Games.

In modern era, maybe Orel Hershiser’s  67 consecutive inning scoreless strrak

Yeah. Hershiser's scoreless innings streak, don't see that one being broken, not with the way homeruns are hit these days and routine fly balls end up in the seats.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah. Hershiser's scoreless innings streak, don't see that one being broken, not with the way homeruns are hit these days and routine fly balls end up in the seats.

Or an obscure one: Jack Taylor - 202 consecutive games without being relieved.  How did his arm not fall off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I see what you did there...

Both 238 and 28-3 add up to lucky #13...hmmm

And what about the Home Depot commercial where the house address was 283.  How did Blank let that one slip in

I didn't see that one, but man... Blank has to be smarter than that lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LouDog said:

How about Sam Crawford's 12 inside the park homeruns in one season? Lol

That one will never be broken unless the fence is moved back 50 feet.  

31 Triples is another one likely to stand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, LouDog said:

How about Sam Crawford's 12 inside the park homeruns in one season? Lol

No way that gets broken because the ball parks aren't conducive to it. Back in his day the stadiums were absolutely huge. We're talking about outfield walls to center that were as much as 450 feet away or more.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

That one will never be broken unless the fence is moved back 50 feet.  

31 Triples is another one likely to stand

I can see the triples one getting broken if we get a hitter that is fast enough and good enough to make enough contact to put enough balls in play. Someone like Billy Hamilton is plenty fast enough to hit that many triples but sadly for him he's one of the worst hitters in MLB history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Just puts in perspective how good that staff was. From 1991 to 1998, Maddux won 4 Cy Youngs, Glavine 2, and Smoltz 1. In that 8 year stretch, those 3 guys won 7 of them, and 6 of them happened for the Braves (Maddux in 92 was with the Cubs).

Just crazy how stupid good that staff was. 

And yet we only brought home one world series...I swear a cactus with a hat could have coached better.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Redswingline2 said:

And yet we only brought home one world series...I swear a cactus with a hat could have coached better.

Lonnie Smith, Charlie Liebrandt, 2-0 lead heading home vs Yankees.  Should have been at least 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now