Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons_Frenzy

Vick's top 25 plays on NFL.com

103 posts in this topic

Just now, thamill said:

Haha All those guys except Goff are mobile.  Cam was the first overall pick and runs all the time.  Mariota runs a ton as well.  Winston is not a good pocket QB.  Luck has wheels, Wentz has wheels.   

What about Rodgers, Wilson?

Winston isn't very mobile he's more pocket passer or was when he came out

I thought Cam and Luck were in the same draft class my bad.

And yeah Goff the pocket passer was picked before Wentz. That's what I'm saying.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Agreed. Maybe he goes down as the goat. Who knows 

One of the things about Vick is he was soo good that he even lulled Andy Reid to sleep. In other words, they start taking him for granted and throwing offensive lines out there that couldn't protect him.  He took a Muhammad Ali type beating up in Philly after that 2012 season.  It was brutal to watch.  Defenses never stopped Vick's play itself, they just beat the living crap out of him...

Related image

Edited by slickgadawg
VTCrunkler, thamill and Vandy like this

9 minutes ago, thamill said:

Yes they were all good.  Vick took it to a new level though.  He had lightning speed AND a rocket arm.  Young had a great arm and ok speed.  McNabb didn't have Vicks speed.  Cunningham didn’t have vick’s Arm.  Flutie lacked the speed. 

I remember watching an analyst compare Vick's footwork when he ran to Barry Sanders and it was identical. 

I was a kid in the Flutie, Vick, Cunningham era.  All the coaches back then preached that if you want to win, you win from the pocket.  Once Vick came along, that all changed.  You see it in all levels of football now.  That's revolutionary.  I never said he was the first...that would be Fran Tarkenton.  I just said he revolutionized it.   

Cunningham actually had a stronger arm than MV did, up there with Elway, Farve et al

Cunningham was an incredible talent....

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I wouldn’t go that far VT.

One reason the greatest is Brady is because he’s still playing at a high level into his 40’s. MV never would have made it this far due to his fearlessness in taking off and running the ball. Also, falcons did a poor job surrounding him with enough talent, he had to do way too much on his own. 

But definitely would have won a ring or two if MV had taken his job seriously. 

Brady has always been protected by the league. You saw what happened when that Chiefs player put a pinky on him in the playoffs... LITERALLY A PINKY...

Screen_Shot_2019_01_20_at_6.20.48_PM__2_.0.png

Edited by slickgadawg

7 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

Vick's speed still sets him apart. Other than Deion, I can't think of a single player with that much speed/elusiveness.

Im thinking I would put Champ Bailey...Devin Hester....Chris Johnson... Darrell Green and Bo Jackson in that Category

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Brady has always been protected by the league. You saw what happened when that Chiefs player put a pinky on him in the playoffs... LITERALLY A PINKY...

Screen_Shot_2019_01_20_at_6.20.48_PM__2_.0.png

True, but doesn’t change what I said.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Part of what made MV the player he was was his fearlessness.

I liked Reeves the coach. It was Reeves the GM that got him fired. 

Reeve is great at BUILDING a team, he would just get stubborn after building the team and replace players with subpar players that he wants to coach up.  The problem is its hard to maintain continuity like that in the NFL. 

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Winston isn't very mobile he's more pocket passer or was when he came out

I thought Cam and Luck were in the same draft class my bad.

And yeah Goff the pocket passer was picked before Wentz. That's what I'm saying.

Goff went 1 and Wentz went 2.  Not a huge difference.  That's really just a preference.  The Eagles traded the farm to move up for Wentz.  The Skins traded the farm to get RG3.  That shows a ton respect for running QBs that wasn't there before.

Flutie was drafted in the 11th round and Cunningham(known for his speed and wheels) 2nd round.  The one outlier from the past who went early was Young who went first overall who had a great skillset(accurate great pocket QB as well as decent speed).   

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Cunningham actually had a stronger arm than MV did, up there with Elway, Farve et al

Cunningham was an incredible talent....

Yet as a mobile QB he was drafted in the second round.

Just now, thamill said:

Goff went 1 and Wentz went 2.  Not a huge difference.  That's really just a preference.  The Eagles traded the farm to move up for Wentz.  The Skins traded the farm to get RG3.  That shows a ton respect for running QBs that wasn't there before.

Flutie was drafted in the 11th round and Cunningham(known for his speed and wheels) 2nd round.  The one outlier from the past who went early was Young who went first overall who had a great skillset(accurate great pocket QB as well as decent speed).   

That's true but it still shows teams value pocket passers over runners.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

That's true but it still shows teams value pocket passers over runners.

True.  But I think its equal ground now(between Pocket QBs and Mobile) and teams see value in both (and likely pick based off a coaching style or preference) whereas the overwhelming majority didn't fathom taking a mobile QB prior to Vick. 

slickgadawg, Vandy and Yo_Lover like this

30 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Young, Flutie, McNabb, Cunningham, etc weren't mobile? Obviously not on Vick's level but come on man.

Where Vick changed the position is he encouraged offensive coordinators in the NFL to LOOK for quarterbacks to the league that had the dual threat ability.  The qbs you listed above were good enough to get drafted because of their throwing ability and in Flutie's case, he could extend plays.  Their running was a bonus but trust me, general managers were not looking at them and saying " hey, we can run the ball with this dude"...

thamill likes this

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Reeve is great at BUILDING a team, he would just get stubborn after building the team and replace players with subpar players that he wants to coach up.  The problem is its hard to maintain continuity like that in the NFL. 

He made a ton of questionable personnel moves, especially near the end of his time in ATL.

A coach should coach, there should be a collaboration with a GM for accountability on personnel decisions, like what we have now with TD/Quinn. 

RING OF HONOR and slickgadawg like this

29 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Oh yeah Vick definitely put more eyes on mobile QB's but even then you have Luck getting picked over Cam, Winston over Mariota. People still go for the pocket guy over the mobile guy.

Thats because you DO have to be a quarterback FIRST.   Vick detractors act like Vick was a runner first.  He was never a running quarterback first.  Thats why Reeves moved up and drafted him.  Reeves saw Elway WITH SPEED.  Think back. Elway could run it too but he didn't have that 4.2 speed of Vick...

thamill likes this

21 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Lol.....you right...I was a Doug Johnson fan....I thought we would be ok ..

And then he got in....and I was like

:yikes:

:lol:

RING OF HONOR likes this

6 minutes ago, thamill said:

True.  But I think its equal ground now(between Pocket QBs and Mobile) and teams see value in both (and likely pick based off a coaching style or preference) whereas the overwhelming majority didn't fathom taking a mobile QB prior to Vick. 

I could see it, I'd wanna see some mobile guys go #1 over a coveted pocket guy tho.

thamill and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

He didn’t get enough good players to build around MV.....

Going off memory....Obsession with drafting TE’s (Reggie kelly a year or two after Crumpler) ....trade for peerless price....

Those 2002 and 2003 drafts put nail in it, IMO....

Ah yes I forgot about that. 

Oh and peerless price....nuff said. 

Vandy likes this

19 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

One of the things about Vick is he was soo good that he even lulled Andy Reid to sleep. In other words, they start taking him for granted and throwing offensive lines out there that couldn't protect him.  He took a Muhammed Ali type beating up in Philly after that 2012 season.  It was brutal to watch.  Defenses never stopped Vick's play itself, they just beat the living crap out of him...

Related image

And he would actually get up and up and up like some wolverine type of healing power. He was a tough dude

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

And he would actually get up and up and up like some wolverine type of healing power. He was a tough dude

MV Never been given enough credit for how tough he was....

VTCrunkler and slickgadawg like this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

MV Never been given enough credit for how tough he was....

He had good lines tho right?  Wiener?

Vandy likes this

25 minutes ago, thamill said:

You can see it in how they are running college offenses at the pro level.  The spread offense came from college.  The read option came from college.

thamill likes this