Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons_Frenzy

Vick's top 25 plays on NFL.com

103 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

Yeah what if he actually cared about film study as a falcon. I think the reeves firing was a sign that he was being u glued as a falcon. No one to reign him in per se. 

reeves was a perfect fit for him as he was an extension kinda of tge relationship he had with Frank Beamer. 

I said the same thing.  If he became a student of the game like he was in Philly while he was here, we would have won a Lombardi. Regardless, it was special to watch him play.

Vandy, Nino11 and VTCrunkler like this

13 minutes ago, thamill said:

I said the same thing.  If he became a student of the game like he was in Philly while he was here, we would have won a Lombardi. Regardless, it was special to watch him play.

Agreed. Maybe he goes down as the goat. Who knows 

thamill, Vandy and slickgadawg like this

6 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Agreed. Maybe he goes down as the goat. Who knows 

I wouldn’t go that far VT.

One reason the greatest is Brady is because he’s still playing at a high level into his 40’s. MV never would have made it this far due to his fearlessness in taking off and running the ball. Also, falcons did a poor job surrounding him with enough talent, he had to do way too much on his own. 

But definitely would have won a ring or two if MV had taken his job seriously. 

VTCrunkler and RING OF HONOR like this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

One reason the greatest is Brady is because he’s still playing at a high level into his 40’s. MV never would have made it this far due to his fearlessness in taking off and running the ball. Also, falcons did a poor job surrounding him with enough talent, he had to do way too much on his own. 

I knew it as soon as I said it. You’re right. At least one ring maybe two. We see the highlights but forget how many brutal hits he took at all locations. 

May e if he had reeves he would have coached him out of taking hits?  Dunno

Vandy likes this

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Crazy when you think about it...what could have been

Vandy and slickgadawg like this

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

I knew it as soon as I said it. You’re right. At least one ring maybe two. We see the highlights but forget how many brutal hits he took at all locations. 

May e if he had reeves he would have coached him out of taking hits?  Dunno

Maybe, but I doubt it. Part of what made MV the player he was was his fearlessness.

I liked Reeves the coach. It was Reeves the GM that got him fired. 

thamill and VTCrunkler like this

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Part of what made MV the player he was was his fearlessness.

That was a big reason why he was so exiting.  We were definitely entertained. 

What did he do as GM wrong? 

Edited by VTCrunkler
Vandy likes this

32 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

That was a big reason why he was so exiting.  We were definitely entertained. 

What did he do as GM wrong? 

He didn’t get enough good players to build around MV.....

Going off memory....Obsession with drafting TE’s (Reggie kelly a year or two after Crumpler) ....trade for peerless price....

Those 2002 and 2003 drafts put nail in it, IMO....

slickgadawg and VTCrunkler like this

1 hour ago, tywreezy33 said:

My first live game as a Falcon fan was the OT game in Minneapolis. Once he took off I stood up with my arms in the air as all the disappointed Vikes fans sat down in disbelief looking at each other like WTF did we just witness.. it was a glorious moment.

My favorite Vick moment as well. I couldn't believe what I had just seen.

slickgadawg and Vandy like this

47 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I disagree. He revolutionized the position.  The majority of QBs coming out now are mobile.  Prior to Vick, mobile QBs were seen as gimmicks and FOs didn't want to build a franchise around one.  Now they are the norm.  No disrespect to Brady.  He's the GOAT and has earned it but Vick changed the position.  Had Vick worked harder earlier in his career and brought a few Lombardi's to ATL, people would be talking about him for generations. 

43 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yeah, and people complain about TD's mid to late round picks.  Reeves picked hot garbage just about every year from round 4 on.   

Vandy and RING OF HONOR like this

7 minutes ago, thamill said:

I disagree. He revolutionized the position.  The majority of QBs coming out now are mobile.  Prior to Vick, mobile QBs were seen as gimmicks and FOs didn't want to build a franchise around one.  Now they are the norm.  No disrespect to Brady.  He's the GOAT and has earned it but Vick changed the position.  Had Vick worked harder earlier in his career and brought a few Lombardi's to ATL, people would be talking about him for generations. 

I hear you. Good post.

thamill likes this

10 minutes ago, thamill said:

Young, Flutie, McNabb, Cunningham, etc weren't mobile? Obviously not on Vick's level but come on man.

Vandy and RING OF HONOR like this

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Young, Flutie, McNabb, Cunningham, etc weren't mobile? Obviously not on Vick's level but come on man.

They were definitely the pioneers....I think Vicks speed is what set him apart....nobody was ready for a QB that was the fastest on the field

Yo_Lover, Vandy and slickgadawg like this

Just now, RING OF HONOR said:

They were definitely the pioneers....I think Vicks speed is what set him apart....nobody was ready for a QB that was the fastest on the field

Oh yeah Vick definitely put more eyes on mobile QB's but even then you have Luck getting picked over Cam, Winston over Mariota. People still go for the pocket guy over the mobile guy.

RING OF HONOR likes this

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Vick broke his leg in a preseason game against the Ravens.  Reeves had to go with Doug Johnson.  The offense became horrible and the team quit on Reeves.  Blank used it as a opportunity to bring in HIS head coach.  Biggest mistake Blank ever made and he would most likely tell you that...

The quote from Blank on Reeves was something like "he didn't have a backup plan". How the heck do you have a backup for a 4.2 QB with a cannon arm?

And to be fair, Doug Johnson looked darn good in pre-season. And looked like a deer in headlights once he got the start.

RING OF HONOR and slickgadawg like this

6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Yes they were all good.  Vick took it to a new level though.  He had lightning speed AND a rocket arm.  Young had a great arm and ok speed.  McNabb didn't have Vicks speed.  Cunningham didn't have Vicks arm.  Flutie lacked the speed. 

I remember watching an analyst compare Vick's footwork when he ran to Barry Sanders and it was identical. 

I was a kid in the Flutie, Vick, Cunningham era.  All the coaches back then preached that if you want to win, you win from the pocket.  Once Vick came along, that all changed.  You see it in all levels of football now.  That's revolutionary.  I never said he was the first...that would be Fran Tarkenton.  I just said he revolutionized it.   

slickgadawg, Yo_Lover and Nino11 like this

Just now, thamill said:

Yes they were all good.  Vick took it to a new level though.  He had lightning speed AND a rocket arm.  Young had a great arm and ok speed.  McNabb didn't have Vicks speed.  Cunningham didn't have Vicks arm.  Flutie lacked the speed. 

I remember watching an analyst compare Vick's footwork when he ran to Barry Sanders and it was identical. 

I was a kid in the Flutie, Vick, Cunningham era.  All the coaches back then preached that if you want to win, you win from the pocket.  Once Vick came along, that all changed.  You see it in all levels of football now.  That's revolutionary.  I never said he was the first...that would be Fran Tarkenton.  I just said he revolutionized it.   

I got you but what about Pocket Qb's still going over mobile QB's in the draft?

Mariota and Winston

Cam and Luck

Wentz and Goff

1 minute ago, since68andcounting said:

The quote from Blank on Reeves was something like "he didn't have a backup plan". How the heck do you have a backup for a 4.2 QB with a cannon arm?

And to be fair, Doug Johnson looked darn good in pre-season. And looked like a deer in headlights once he got the start.

Lol.....you right...I was a Doug Johnson fan....I thought we would be ok ..

And then he got in....and I was like

:yikes:

slickgadawg likes this

12 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Vick's speed still sets him apart. Other than Deion, I can't think of a single player with that much speed/elusiveness.

RING OF HONOR and slickgadawg like this

1 minute ago, since68andcounting said:

Vick's speed still sets him apart. Other than Deion, I can't think of a single player with that much speed/elusiveness.

Let me think about that for a minute

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

I got you but what about Pocket Qb's still going over mobile QB's in the draft?

Mariota and Winston

Cam and Luck

Wentz and Goff

Haha All those guys except Goff are mobile.  Cam was the first overall pick and runs all the time.  Mariota runs a ton as well.  Winston is not a good pocket QB.  Luck has wheels, Wentz has wheels.   

What about Rodgers, Wilson?