Falcons Fan MVP

Will Matt Ryan continue to get better the next 5 years?

136 posts in this topic

What do you guys expect from Matt Ryan these next 5 years? Do you think he will continue to grow and get better? If so what areas do you think he will improve on? Do you think Matt Ryan has hit his ceiling? Or do you think he will take it to another level?   

I don't think Matt Ryan can get better. Where do you go from great? I believe, based on the talent around him, that we can expect a few more seasons of 30+ TDs and a high QB ranking. 

If his personal stats decline, but the team wins two championships, did he get better or worse?

I know that isn't what you were looking for, but it illustrates my point. The perception of him for the next five years will be heavily weighted by team results. If the team wins, the perception will be that he got better and any stats to the contrary will be mostly rejected. 

I think he has been at/near his peak for the last 3 seasons. I expect a plateau that maybe drops off slightly over the next five years. That said, I could see the team continuing to build in consistency and outcomes over that same period of time.  He is so good now that a consistent gradual falloff would leave him merely "very good" five years down the road. How many rings can a very good QB win over five seasons with a stacked OL, Julio Jones (even if he too begins a very gradual fade to mere eliteness) and consistently developing talent on the defensive side of the ball? 

We are at peak Matt. We are watching him at his best the past three years, the past two being probably his best overall despite average play calling. His numbers may decline if the team is winning and the defense is playing well, but I’d still bet he’s top of the league in efficiency. 

Depends on the OL and RBs really.

A clean pocket, OL wearing down DL /LBs in run game, RBs forcing DBs to come up and tackle allowing WRs and TEs to feast on a worn out defense.  

MR with legitimate play action ,big and fast receivers, against tiring defenses forced to wait and react.

The last 1/3 of his career has a chance of being much better than the first 2/3.

His accuracy continues to improve.

His TD/int. Ratio is reaching brady/Rodgers level while still taking shots downfield without having to throw the ball away  if the WR isn't wide open. 

If the OL and RBs can allow him to become more of a game manager, its possible he becomes a better version of brady/brees with the ability to still go deep 

Ridley will likely be a top tier WR in next 3 years. Hooper a top tier TE. JJ should age well as MRs go to WR. If Gage/draft pick becomes a reliable deep threat MR could have his best group of receivers for the last part of his career. 

Think he has 3-4 peak years left . He’s good as is but he’ll shine in a big way if the OL takes shape . He’s only ever had 4 good OLs in his whole career(08, 10, 12 &16) & he’s done pretty good so .. that’s saying something . Notice I said good OLs .. he’s never had anything great like Brady, Ben, Peyton , Brees, Wentz, Flacco( SB run when they shuffled the OL until playoff time), ARod or Dak . Would love to see him behind a fortified wall like those guys play or have played behind . 

Ask yourself this:  If I had to roll with one qb for the next five years, who would you rather have than Ryan?  

Brady?  He'll be closer to 50 than 40.

Brees?  His arm is weakening as we speak and will probably fall off by then.

Mahomes?  Not sold yet but at least he's young enough, but I have to see more than one big stat season before crowning him. 

Wilson?  Maybe.  He doesn't get hurt but running around like him will take a toll over five years.  

No...I'll stick with Matt Ryan, a quarterback whose abilities, durability, and football mind are as fixed for another half-decade as any man at that position in the NFL.  

Tim Mazetti, papachaz, Jen and 10 others like this

I doubt Ryan improves much himself, but I’d love to see his protection drastically improve, and if DK is also around for the next 5 years then it would also be nice for Ryan to get some consistency with a system.  

"Better' may be relative. I expect better results, but not necessarily better overall numbers. If the 'D'  gets better and we are able to win most games 24-10, and we have the game shutdown by early third quarter Matt may not see a lot of games where he's still pedal to the metal in the 4th quarter like most of last season. He can spend a sedate 4th quarter watching Quadree wear down the other team 3 to 4 yards at a time.

No he won't get better.  He will get slightly wiser while his physical traits decline.  It has much more to do with the other players around him at this point.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Ryan will only decline, you see his deep ball is weaker, his movement is slower its father time so not his fault, the window is closing his got 2 years in my opinion 

He’ll be 39 in 5 years, so I doubt it, but I can see a good enough Matt Ryan winning the Super Bowl at age 39 via 2024 season (Feb 2025) if we have a great defense that’s better than any of the defenses throughout Matt Ryan’s career. Kinda like John Elway or Peyton Manning towards the end of their careers carried by a defense. 2016 Matt Ryan loses the Super Bowl despite a near perfect statistical season with a great offense and mediocre defense. 2024 Matt Ryan wins the Super Bowl despite a horrible statistical season behind a great O-line, great run game, and a historically great defense. Then everyone won’t give Matt Ryan any credit for the Super Bowl win, and that’ll describe Matty’s career in a nutshell. You can’t have it both ways.... 

He might, he keeps getting better even when his OL and running game and defense get worse.

I'm not sure he would know what to do with a competent OL and had the time Brees or Brady has.

There is a small chance that all the pressure and bad surrounding cast he has dealt with makes him think faster and getting good OL protection may make him worse since he will have more time to think and he is not used to having a pocket to throw in. Small chance at that but stranger things have happened.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

The thing with Ryan is that his performance from season-to-season has had a tendency to fluctuate.

Do I expect to see 2016/2018 Ryan moving forward?  I hope so...but we have seen unexpected performance dips from him previously to recognize that moving forward, they’re not completely off the table.

24 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

The thing with Ryan is that his performance from season-to-season has had a tendency to fluctuate.

Do I expect to see 2016/2018 Ryan moving forward?  I hope so...but we have seen unexpected performance dips from him previously to recognize that moving forward, they’re not completely off the table.

It also begs the question does the team need Matt to be 2016 Matt to be successful? What if Free/Ito/Ollison wear teams down behind Mularkey's run game improvements and the new Jumbo OL and we only need Matt to throw 225 a game and 1 TD to win? It's great that Matt has 500 yards and 5TDs in his belt pouch if we need it, but are we better off not being in those kind of games?

Posted (edited)

I think he'll get better. This game doesn't entail the same wear and tear for QBs that it used to. The game has been redesigned to stress technique and mental acumen. That's why dudes like Brady and Breed are still playing with no desire to quit. And Ryan was quoted just a year ago feeling the best he ever had.

I think the more interesting question is whether we will see a couple 50 year old QBs way down the line.

Edited by likeriver

I’m not sure it’s realistic to believe he’ll get much better than he already is, which as of right now he’s one of the most elite quarterbacks the NFL has ever seen which is as much as you can ask for from a player. He has the answers to the test so to speak, he’s seen every coverage, every blitz package and he’s accurate those things translate well for aging QBs. As long as his body holds up he’ll be Elite for at least the next 2-3 years maybe longer. 

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

Ask yourself this:  If I had to roll with one qb for the next five years, who would you rather have than Ryan?  

Brady?  He'll be closer to 50 than 40.

Brees?  His arm is weakening as we speak and will probably fall off by then.

Mahomes?  Not sold yet but at least he's young enough, but I have to see more than one big stat season before crowning him. 

Wilson?  Maybe.  He doesn't get hurt but running around like him will take a toll over five years.  

No...I'll stick with Matt Ryan, a quarterback whose abilities, durability, and football mind are as fixed for another half-decade as any man at that position in the NFL.  

I’ll stick with MR. breeze is close to being on his downslide. At least we can hope. 

3 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

Ryan will only decline, you see his deep ball is weaker, his movement is slower its father time so not his fault, the window is closing his got 2 years in my opinion 

Lol!

Xero likes this

2 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Nothing is guaranteed, no.

He's had a couple years with ratings less than 90, but with a career qb rating of 95, interception percentage of 2.1, 65% career completion rate and coming up on 50,000 passing yards, I wouldn't call that season-to-season fluctuation.  Over his 11-year span he seems to me to be pretty darned consistent.  

2 hours ago, Geneaut said:

It also begs the question does the team need Matt to be 2016 Matt to be successful? What if Free/Ito/Ollison wear teams down behind Mularkey's run game improvements and the new Jumbo OL and we only need Matt to throw 225 a game and 1 TD to win? It's great that Matt has 500 yards and 5TDs in his belt pouch if we need it, but are we better off not being in those kind of games?

In 2016, Ryan finished something like 21st in pass attempts.  He was a crazy combination of prolific and efficient.  IMO, the offense is now firmly Ryan’s.  It’s not about providing support to Ryan so we don’t need to rely on him as much...it’s about providing him the support that truly weaponizes him. The hope is that if that support is provided in the form of a solid OL and productive run game...he plays to the level he did in 2016/2018, not 2015/2017.

22 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Nothing is guaranteed, no.

He's had a couple years with ratings less than 90, but with a career qb rating of 95, interception percentage of 2.1, 65% career completion rate and coming up on 50,000 passing yards, I wouldn't call that season-to-season fluctuation.  Over his 11-year span he seems to me to be pretty darned consistent.  

Measuring consistency over 11 years is a different exercise than measuring consistency over a 16 game stretch.  If we look at the 2015-2018 period of Ryan’s career, he has been up and down.  There’s a whole host of reasons/theories as to why 2015/2017 look so dramatically different than 2016/2018...but I guess that’s the point a bit.  I’m certainly thinking that he should be closer to the 2016/2018 version, but then again I expected 2016 Matt Ryan in 2017...and if I’m being honest, I didn’t know what to expect in 2018. 

Geneaut likes this

Only incrementally. He’s got 5 years left of plateauing at his already high level. It’s the highest form of flattery. Maybe mentally to compensate for any physical decline