birdz4i

Dan Quinn: Falcons' D will 'recapture' physical style

64 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

id hope so with DQ at the DC.  i think a lot of it hinges on how well Vic and Oliver respond.  

Everyone quick to bring up Vic but Takk ain't been much better.

5 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

1) i don't see how we arent better this year all around.  Health is a big key obviously. 

2) The offense heavy first picks tells me that the FO thinks we are good with what we have on defense and are going to add a few pieces. 

3) Q calling the d is going to be awesome..if it works, i hope he continues to do so.  If he is trying to replicate the SEA defense of old, being nasty and physical, then more power to him.  Thats what Pitt, BAL, and NE do every year..

1) Offensive line likely won't improve THIS SEASON. Counting on rookies to start and play at a championship level is a recipe for disaster. The vets we gave money to are castoffs from horrible lines, and also cannot be relied upon to play at a championship level. It is not impossible that they do so--- but you cannot count on it happening. On defense, yes, we have some guys coming back. But let's be real: at its best, our defense was only sufficient to not be a major hindrance to the offense.

2) We still have little pass rush unless Beasley decides to get it in gear.

3) We have never seen DQ call a defense without Pete Carrol's oversight. There is no definitive evidence he will be a marked improvement.

VTCrunkler likes this

59 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Here's an older article from a few years ago but explains 3-safety sets pretty well:

Indeed. Thanks for the ED.

I am thinking the Falcons' have this three safety thingy then.

Vandy likes this

50 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Everyone quick to bring up Vic but Takk ain't been much better.

This is true, but He’s got a couple years on takk so there’s more expectations that he should be farther along in his development t. 

Edited by VTCrunkler
NeonDeion and Atl Falcon like this

28 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

1) Offensive line likely won't improve THIS SEASON. Counting on rookies to start and play at a championship level is a recipe for disaster. The vets we gave money to are castoffs from horrible lines, and also cannot be relied upon to play at a championship level. It is not impossible that they do so--- but you cannot count on it happening. On defense, yes, we have some guys coming back. But let's be real: at its best, our defense was only sufficient to not be a major hindrance to the offense.

3) We have never seen DQ call a defense without Pete Carrol's oversight. There is no definitive evidence he will be a marked improvement.

I think the Colts started two rookies last yr, but you’re prolly right about two rookies playing at a championship level. Lindstorm himself should make our OL 25% better plus Brown and carpenter are better that what we had. 

I still see DL especially the pass rush lacking behind the Saints and Panthers and maybe the Bucs.

You make a good point about DQ as DC, but I would bet on him to make a huge difference especially with the injured players returning.

3 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

This is true, but He’s got a couple years on takk so there’s more expectations that he should be farther along in his development t. 

Plus Takk can play the run and has never had a full off season to train due to the shoulder surgeries. 

VTCrunkler likes this

34 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

There’s always hope RF. That’s what I have now. I have hope because I think we are taking steps to build a better line. Cast offs or no we have invested in this line which if it develops in three years like the Dallas’s line did I’ll be happy. To prove your point their line didn’t start dominating like two years after they got Travis Frederick and started picking up more pieces.  

Theres a limited dataset on a DQ called solo defense but again it’s better than an unproven new DC in my mind. 

Is it just a mindset with Vic that’s holding him back?

6 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s not a question if we will be better overall than last year.  The question is will we be better than the 2017 Falcons

Yes Sark is gone 

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Indeed. Thanks for the ED.

I am thinking the Falcons' have this three safety thingy then.

kazee/Rico both can play slot, giving them ability to go back and forth.

Ovie_Lover and Tim Mazetti like this

I have to think biggest hope of that would have to be someone really coming forward like Oliver or Senat that we are not counting on to take on the  league. Maybe Foye? I know I have big hopes for those 3. Jones is budding superstar, his presence full season....