birdz4i

Dan Quinn: Falcons' D will 'recapture' physical style

64 posts in this topic

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: June 25, 2019 at 09:16 a.m.
  • Updated: June 25, 2019 at 10:41 a.m.

One under-the-radar storyline surrounding the Atlanta Falcons as we soar toward training camp is head coach Dan Quinn taking full control of his defense this season.

After firing his coordinator last year, along with a complete staff overhaul, Quinn is taking charge, getting back to his roots as a defensive play-caller and hopes that the recalibrations made this offseason conjure a more physical style.

"More than anything the tweaks in the scheme along with the tweaks in the style to make sure we recapture that, I'm going to make sure the things are the most important stay at the front of our thinking and the physicality and the ball-hawking will certainly be some of those," Quinn said this offseason, via the team's official website.

A coach taking over play-calling duties could be viewed as the last arrow in a quiver that is quickly emptying. Or, it could prove a stroke of genius that gets the Falcons back to the playoffs. Atlanta hired Quinn for his leadership, but also because he was able to help guide some of the stingiest, toughest defenses in the modern era during his stint in Seattle.

For years, the Falcons have attempted to replicate those Seahawks teams but always came up short. With Quinn taking over, and more physical personnel, might the stars finally align in Atlanta?

Staying healthy is key. Keanu Neal's Week 1 ACL tear last season ripped the heart of the back end. Deion Jones played just six games. Both will be back in 2019. The Falcons also moved safety Damontae Kazee to nickel cornerback to get his physicality on the field alongside Neal and Ricardo Allen.

Quinn mentioned Neal's return as well as other additions to a disappointing defensive front when mentioning why he thinks the Falcons can be a physical defense in 2019.

"Keke brings a lot of that," Quinn said. "He's one of the ring leaders of our style. Putting Kazee by the line of scrimmage will do that, his fearlessness will be a part of that. Adding Adrian Clayborn and Tyeler (Davison) and his toughness those are small tweaks that are going to pay good dividends."

If those tweaks prove not to pay dividends, louder questions will arise as to whether Quinn can ever remake those physical defenses he presided over in Seattle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034500/article/dan-quinn-falcons-d-will-recapture-physical-style

Tim Mazetti and duckhoa like this

i don't see how we arent better this year all around.  Health is a big key obviously.  The offense heavy first picks tells me that the FO thinks we are good with what we have on defense and are going to add a few pieces.  Q calling the d is going to be awesome..if it works, i hope he continues to do so.  If he is trying to replicate the SEA defense of old, being nasty and physical, then more power to him.  Thats what Pitt, BAL, and NE do every year..

Tim Mazetti, UK13 and gazoo like this

5 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

i don't see how we arent better this year all around.  Health is a big key obviously.  The offense heavy first picks tells me that the FO thinks we are good with what we have on defense and are going to add a few pieces.  Q calling the d is going to be awesome..if it works, i hope he continues to do so.  If he is trying to replicate the SEA defense of old, being nasty and physical, then more power to him.  Thats what Pitt, BAL, and NE do every year..

It’s not a question if we will be better overall than last year.  The question is will we be better than the 2017 Falcons

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s not a question if we will be better overall than last year.  The question is will we be better than the 2017 Falcons

id hope so with DQ at the DC.  i think a lot of it hinges on how well Vic and Oliver respond.  

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

id hope so with DQ at the DC.  i think a lot of it hinges on how well Vic and Oliver respond.  

Don’t undersell just how good that 2017 squad was.  

If Shannahan was the OC in 2017 we would have beat the Bills, Dolphins, Panthers, Saints & Vikings.

That puts us at 15-1 assuming a loss to the Patriots.  

When the offense scored over 20 points, we never lost that year.  It could have been a special season

Tim Mazetti and NeonDeion like this

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Bills, Dolphins

grrrrrr no reason at all we should have lost to these teams- at home no less.  

shanna would have put us over the top certainly.  I also thought Matt has improved his pocket mobility in 2017  i kinda thought he played a little better thru adversity in 2017 than 2016 despite the numbers

Edited by VTCrunkler
FalconsIn2012 and Tim Mazetti like this

2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

grrrrrr no reason at all we should have lost to these teams- at home no less.  

shanna would have put us over the top certainly.  I also thought Matt has improved his pocket mobility in 2017  i kinda thought he played a little better thru adversity in 2017 than 2016 despite the numbers

It’s possible we go undefeated with Shanny & Ryan in 2017

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s possible we go undefeated with Shanny & Ryan in 2017

maybe so.  im thinking we have a really good record at the end of this year.  

gazoo likes this

I am telling you right now, the upgrades to the OL as far as talent, size, strength and power will help our defense. In the past our OL was not big/strong/powerful enough to take ver a game and run the ball down the throat of a defense at will.  

There are times a defense needs a break, a rest, a long drive by their offense to catch their breath. A tired defense makes mistakes, mistakes that skew game stats with one missed tackle going for a 35 yard run, one missed assignment in secondary that leads to a score.  

Also, late in game if Birds are up we can sustain long drives and ball control keeping our defense on the bench.

Take this to the bank, an offense cannot put up a single yard or single point when our defense is sitting on the bench.

vel, Tim Mazetti, ATLskinjob and 1 other like this

I'm actually starting to come around to the defense. They won't have a top notch pass rush, which is a let down, but I think they have one of the best back seven potentials in the league. 

If Trufant can truly get back to being a #1 CB type of player, that would be major. We all know what Keanu brings at SS. We all know what Debo brings. Those are two top five players at their positions we lost. Rico is a very steadying force and at the bare minimum will limit the mistakes that killed us with Kazee. Oliver showed he can hang in this league towards the end of last year. Campbell is a solid LB who can cover TEs well and is a good complement to Debo. And those are just the starters. That doesn't include Foye, or Wilcox, or the youngins Miller/Sheffield, or Neasman. DQ has the tools on the back end that should frustrate offenses enough to make the defense tough to deal with in general. We may not sniff 40 sacks, but I think it can be a good enough unit. 

Tim Mazetti, ATLskinjob and Vandy like this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm actually starting to come around to the defense. They won't have a top notch pass rush, which is a let down, but I think they have one of the best back seven potentials in the league. 

If Trufant can truly get back to being a #1 CB type of player, that would be major. We all know what Keanu brings at SS. We all know what Debo brings. Those are two top five players at their positions we lost. Rico is a very steadying force and at the bare minimum will limit the mistakes that killed us with Kazee. Oliver showed he can hang in this league towards the end of last year. Campbell is a solid LB who can cover TEs well and is a good complement to Debo. And those are just the starters. That doesn't include Foye, or Wilcox, or the youngins Miller/Sheffield, or Neasman. DQ has the tools on the back end that should frustrate offenses enough to make the defense tough to deal with in general. We may not sniff 40 sacks, but I think it can be a good enough unit. 

I’m starting to come around too Vel. Like you said, Trufant is a key. I would say Allen/Neal coming back at 95% pre-injuries would be another key for our secondary.

And if DL can get something out of Hageman, that’s gravy. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

If Kazee is the nickel back is it really 3 safety though?

If Neal is down in box, in my little world, yes. :ninja:

Ovie_Lover likes this

Just now, Vandy said:

If Neal is in box, in my little world, yes. :ninja:

I mean I guess but he's goes in the box anyway with cover 3 even when Poole was here.

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

That is a really good question???? I’d say the Panthers if Oliver disappoints and Tru dont get back to form. The Panther front 7 should be a load. They need last yr rookie corner D Jackson and Bradbury to step up.

VTCrunkler likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

I mean I guess but he's goes in the box anyway with cover 3 even when Poole was here.

Okay, but I always looked at Poole much like a do Kazee, a a hybrid safety/corner playing NB......

And like I said, it is in my little world.  :)

Ovie_Lover likes this