Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spts1

Phillies or Nationals might try and grab Washington from Braves

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The Phillies, Nats and Mets loaded up with talent this season in a effort to get to the playoffs. They spent BIG money.  The problem is neither has a legit manager. I can see either Philly or the Nats trying to grab him from the Braves.  Washington is one of the best managers in baseball and they know it. 

A move like that would simultaneously take the Braves top position coach away from them and help their clubs. Don't be shocked to see a move before the Allstar break.  Whether Washington takes a offer is another.  The dynamics of buying out his Braves contract is another... Stay tuned.

Edited by slickgadawg

Nats have turned things around. If they keep up their pace they wont fire Martinez. Kapler and Callaway are likely out in the East though. 

Spts1 likes this

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Nats have turned things around. If they keep up their pace they wont fire Martinez. Kapler and Callaway are likely out in the East though. 

Kapler definitely on the hot seat.  Martinez will get  longer look because firing him after they let Dusty Baker go ( horrible scapegoat move) will make them look that much worse.  The Mets have a horrible front office that I know Washington wants no part of.  The Marlins may even give him a look because he is perfect with young player development.   I say this stuff because I know those organizations are looking at his work with the Braves and at least one of them will offer him...

4 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Kapler definitely on the hot seat.  Martinez will get  longer look because firing him after they let Dusty Baker go ( horrible scapegoat move) will make them look that much worse.  The Mets have a horrible front office that I know Washington wants no part of.  The Marlins may even give him a look because he is perfect with young player development.   I say this stuff because I know those organizations are looking at his work with the Braves and at least one of them will offer him...

It was Matt Williams. 

I'm also fairly certain that if the Braves were going to lose Washington and they fully intended for him to get the job Snit would likely move to a front office position.

14 minutes ago, Malachore said:

It was Matt Williams. 

Dusty Baker came in for 2 season after Williams. Won the East twice and gave the Nats their best seasons but was fired for failing to get out of the NLDS. Nats haven't been the same since Dusty was fired.

Spts1 likes this

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Dusty Baker came in for 2 season after Williams. Won the East twice and gave the Nats their best seasons but was fired for failing to get out of the NLDS. Nats haven't been the same since Dusty was fired.

**** you're right. 

I still remember being at that NLDS game that went like 55 innings. It was windy and cold af but a great experience. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

It was Matt Williams. 

Matt Williams was replaced by Dusty Baker in 2016.  Baker then won the division back to back and then got scapegoated out of Washington.  The Nats backed themselves into a corner with the Martinez hire because again, it would make them look bad for firing Dusty just to turn around and fire Martinez.  The dummies.  Philadelphia most likely would hire Ron Washington after their current manager gets bounced...

Edited by slickgadawg