Unknøwn

Braves @ Cubs

769 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The thing is....the other teams pitching are struggling aswell.

Even the Dodgers .....they just gave up 8 runs to the dbacks and their bullpen is a major pain spot.

Even Jenson has been tagged some this year

LA's ERA is more than a run better than ours. LA's given up 3.625 runs per game. We're at 4.88 runs per game. The two teams are not comparable. Atlanta's 9th out of 15 NL teams in runs allowed, 6 away from 11th.

Let's not equivocate on the obvious. This team can't pitch at all.

We're winning anyway. Let's enjoy that.

I'm kind of salty at some of you right now.

Last night, a non-Brave was a total a$$hat to Julio and Flowers. Some of y'all were insulting our guys because a grown man in a Cubs jersey was acting like a spoiled four-year-old.

Julio's last couple of starts have been a huge step back, but what happened last night was due to emotions running too high.

When it's us against them, let's all stand behind us. 

ATLBrave and Drew4719 like this

11 minutes ago, jidady said:

LA's ERA is more than a run better than ours. LA's given up 3.625 runs per game. We're at 4.88 runs per game. The two teams are not comparable. Atlanta's 9th out of 15 NL teams in runs allowed, 6 away from 11th.

Their starters 1-5 are far more consistent.....but if you get into their bullpen you have a legit chance.

They actally have a lower save % in june than the braves

39 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

What about our farm system?  Anything viable?

Or should we outbid the Dodgers for Hand?

We have to hit the trade market. We need a proven vet on the backend.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, jidady said:

Our ERA is actually 4.28, believe it or not. That shows ya how much the entire defense sliding has been a problem. That might be runs allowed in total.

That's not to excuse the pitchers. Folty going to **** (as what happened to him was beyond normal regression and people just hating him for being weak minded and having poor emotions, which even happened during what might be a career year 2018) and Gausman having a bust of a 2019 is a huge issue. At this point you can now argue that starting pitching is a bigger problem than the bullpen. Hopefully Wilson can come in and just be solid, but you might now need to go acquire a starter, regardless. Braves aren't going to average 7+ runs forever and don't have another Austin Riley debut month (or half month) to pull out of their butts to help keep the team floating when you have bats slumping again like we saw in May (where his clutch moments and other good sequencing helped lead to a 16-12 record).

Stroman/Giles sounds enticing, but that package might be cringe worthy in our case.

Edit: It's not to say that Riley can't make some adjustments and can continue hitting OK over the rest of the season. But I don't think he has another month similar to May.

Edited by VoiceofReason95
jidady likes this

2 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

We have to hit the trade market. We need a proven vet on the backend.

Go get Hand.  He will be available and we can’t let the Dodgers get him

1. Brad HandLHP, CLE (0.98 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, 13.01 K/9): He has put together four dominant seasons, having averaged 74 appearances between 2016-18, and he's on pace for about that many this season. He has allowed one home run in 103 plate appearances this season.

Potential landing spots: The Dodgers are already the NL’s best team, and adding Hand to a bullpen that has Kenley Jansen would end the discussion and be huge for October matchups. While the bidding could get intense if and when the Indians decide to sell, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman has more chips to play than almost anyone. And since Hand is signed through 2020 (with a 2021 club option), he’s more than just a rental.

4 minutes ago, jidady said:

Last night, a non-Brave was a total ****** to Julio and Flowers. Some of y'all were insulting our guys because a grown man in a Cubs jersey was acting like a spoiled four-year-old.

Julio's last couple of starts have been a huge step back, but what happened last night was due to emotions running too high.

I applaud the Braves for keeping their composure. But Flowers had his opportunity to make something special and watched, just literally watched 2 3rd strike calls go right by him. And Julio just didn't have it.

Yes it was frustrating to see it as fans because we felt it too.  I just want for their play to do the speaking. Here's to bouncing back today!!!!!

Born Again Georgian likes this

2. Will SmithLHP, SF (2.28 ERA, 0.68 WHIP, 12.93 K/9): He had a handful of rough appearances over the last two months of last season, and that bears watching as July 31 approaches. He’s throwing more changeups than any other time in recent seasons and his fastball velocity has remained steady in the 93 mph range. He’s having equal success getting lefties and righties out.

Potential landing spots: Virtually every contender is going to gauge the Giants' asking price. The Braves, Nationals and Phillies are good fits, especially since those teams want multiple late-inning arms. Smith is eligible for free agency this winter, so he won’t cost a ton.

3. Greg HollandRHP, ARI (1.31 ERA, 0.968 WHIP, 12.2 K/9): Unlike last year, when he signed late with the Cardinals and struggled, Holland had a full Spring Training this year, and it shows. He could be one of the most important pickups of the summer if the D-backs decide to sell. At 33, he has never been better than he is right now and seems prepared to finish the season pitching for his fifth team in three years.

Potential landing spots: The Twins make sense, whether it’s to make him the closer or part of a late-inning combination. The Braves and Nationals are among the other logical teams. Holland is a free agent this winter, so an acquiring team probably wouldn’t need to give up a lot if he becomes available.

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s true..

I just think we need a hog to pitch game 1, 4 & 7 (if needed) of every playoff series and a closer with a 100 mph fastball and an effective 2nd pitch

2 players away from a WS this year IMO.  Unfortunately every team in baseball wants those two players...lol

Closer doesn't need to throw 100 mph to be effective.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Closer doesn't need to throw 100 mph to be effective.

That’s just my preference.  I want this to go through the opposing teams psyche when our closer comes out

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

That’s just my preference.  I want this to go through the opposing teams psyche when our closer comes out

Hoffman didn't throw anywhere near 100. In fact after he had TJS it was his change up that made him into the dominate force he was.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Hoffman didn't throw anywhere near 100. In fact after he had TJS it was his change up that made him into the dominate force he was.

I am talking mindset, not the pitcher.  

I was using the song...lol 

The braves are not short on power arms

Minter can hit 99

I think Jackson has hit 98

Folty has hit 100

Speed is not the problem...the problem is real estate....location location location

Falconsfan567 likes this

It will be interesting to see how the game goes tonight.   Max' last start was better, but he had baserunners all night and kept getting out of trouble.   Bottom-line for me is I need to see a bigger body of work before I declare him as being turned around.   On the other hand, the Cubs are starting a young guy who the Braves haven't faced before.  In this scenario, the Braves usually make the young kid look like the 2nd coming of Nolan Ryan and don't get much done offensively.   I don't think we score over 4 runs total tonight.  Hope that Max and the bullpen are up to the task.

52 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Go get Hand.  He will be available and we can’t let the Dodgers get him

1. Brad HandLHP, CLE (0.98 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, 13.01 K/9): He has put together four dominant seasons, having averaged 74 appearances between 2016-18, and he's on pace for about that many this season. He has allowed one home run in 103 plate appearances this season.

Potential landing spots: The Dodgers are already the NL’s best team, and adding Hand to a bullpen that has Kenley Jansen would end the discussion and be huge for October matchups. While the bidding could get intense if and when the Indians decide to sell, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman has more chips to play than almost anyone. And since Hand is signed through 2020 (with a 2021 club option), he’s more than just a rental.

I wouldnt bank on Hand being available. If the season ended today the Indians are in the playoffs. They currently lead for a WC spot.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Last night, a non-Brave was a total a$$hat to Julio and Flowers. Some of y'all were insulting our guys because a grown man in a Cubs jersey was acting like a spoiled four-year-old.

I was salty that flowers didn’t respond with any kind of hit.  I definitely wasn’t wanting our guys to throw at the dude or anything, but for Folty sake respond with performance on the field.  We really didn’t get that. 

Edited by Dirty South Bird
sdogg likes this

2 hours ago, jidady said:

I’m still salty at Flowers not going out to talk to Folty. I don’t give a **** about mound visits. Sometimes you make an executive decision and go pat your teammate on the back and talk him down. At least try. Last night wasn’t really a thing for me except for not hitting. 

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Hopefully time there will let him get right.

It worked for. Minter and Newcomb

Neither of those 2 guys are head cases. 

3 hours ago, jidady said:

I don't think a single person here cared for what Contreras did. I still hope he gets one in his ear hole tonight.

But let's not pretend we didn't think Julio would revert back to this. He isn't a good pitcher, he's a VERY lucky pitcher. Eventually luck runs out and you turn back into a pumpkin. 

Anyway, moving right along. I have full confidence the Braves are going to be more than fired up tonight and redeem their loss!

Go Braves!

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:
Braves got caught in a hail storm at Wrigley.

Ehh, just a sprinkle to wet the infield.

22 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Man, if McCann was catching last night instead of Flowers......

Image result for gif of braves player fighting with marlins player

That's how it should be done. 

jidady likes this

Soroka had tightness when throwing today. He'll throw off a mound tomorrow to see how he feels. Could be forced to miss the next start entirely.