cam-marino

2020 Prospect Review: DE Curtis Weaver

15 posts in this topic

HUGE fan of Boise State DE Curtis Weaver (6-3 264). Plays the “STUD” position at BSU. Position essentially calls for an athlete who can rush the passer at the strong side or drop into coverage. Reminds me of what Quinn looks for in a LEO:

“always lines up on the LOS and blitzes, generally a player that is smaller than a DE but bigger than an OLB (240-250 lbs), pass rush ability, can control his gap and take on other responsibilities (such as coverage) from time-to-time, ‘quinn and carroll have tended towards using lighter, more athletic players at the position in recent years, like bruce irvin’ (6-3, 250. 4.5 40) or vic beasley (6-3, 246. 4.53 40)”

Ideal Falcons LEO fit who can play with his hand in the dirt. 28 TFL and 20.5 sacks in two seasons. Phenomenal hand usage. Also high in character. 

If Cominsky plays out the 5 technique, which I imagine he will, the Falcons may want to see Weaver at the LEO (7T/9T). However, his best fit is probably at SDE (5T) because of his ability to do both: pass rush and stop the run. Think Steven Means, who was supposed to start at SDE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

As a pass rush specialist?  How many downs does he see on the pros? 

If he's drafted by Atlanta, he may be the starting LEO in base. Probably going to replace Clayborn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cam-marino said:

If he's drafted by Atlanta, he may be the starting LEO in base. Probably going to replace Clayborn?

Or replace Vic!  Is Cominsky bulky enough for the 5T? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VTCrunkler said:

Or replace Vic!  Is Cominsky bulky enough for the 5T? 

Well we know Quinn's intention to kick him inside. I'd say definitely. 100%. He'll probably be our starter at 5T (SDE). Vic doesn't start at LEO in base.. only in nickel. My guess is that he's playing at 290. A DQ 5T is a strong side defensive end who can kick inside in sub-packages. So the answer is yes, maybe even too bulky.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

Well we know Quinn's intention to kick him inside. I'd say definitely. 100%. He'll probably be our starter at 5T (SDE). Vic doesn't start at LEO in base.. only in nickel. My guess is that he's playing at 290. A DQ 5T is a strong side defensive end who can kick inside in sub-packages. So the answer is yes, maybe even too bulky.

 

I didn’t realize Cominsky was that big. Starting at the 5? Day 1? Or as the season progresses.  That would be a huge draft day win  

So the Leo in base is still rushing the laser right?  Thought he had to be a little lighter in the pants. 

Was Michael Bennett their 5T who also licked inside on third downs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VTCrunkler said:

I didn’t realize Cominsky was that big. Starting at the 5? Day 1? Or as the season progresses.  That would be a huge draft day win  

So the Leo in base is still rushing the laser right?  Thought he had to be a little lighter in the pants. 

Was Michael Bennett their 5T who also licked inside on third downs

1) Cominsky was supposed to really be a year one red shirt. Means went down though. Think about it. Who else CAN step up? So thin at 4-3 DE BUT.. a 3-4 DE is a SDE in a 4-3. Cominsky's best fit is a 3-4 SDE, his film says. 

2) Yeah. Quinn has his LEO or "Elephant" always on the LOS. Can pass rush and control his gap. In more simple terms, he can close the running lanes and rush the passer. Vic isn't the base LEO starter because of his inability to defend against the run. However, Beasley is a competent pass rusher and is quite underrated in coverage. WIth linebackers like ours, and in this system, the LEO doesn't need to drop back into coverage often. If anybody on the LOS would drop, it would probably be the SLB. 

3) For Quinn, I believe it was Red Bryant. But, Michael Bennett was so good for DQ that he virtually could play any technique. But the primary guy at 5T was Red Bryant. From what I remember, he was an average pass rusher and a wall against the run. He struggled playing at defensive tackle, where he was then tasked with C gap control. Quinn moved him to 5T in 2010.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem with Weaver is he rushes standing up most of the time. He hardly plays with his hands in the dirt, which we do. When he does have them in the dirt his get off is slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ike barn87987 said:

My problem with Weaver is he rushes standing up most of the time. He hardly plays with his hands in the dirt, which we do. When he does have them in the dirt his get off is slow.

True. Kenny Willekes is a hands down guy. Works with Chuck Smith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, cam-marino said:

1) Cominsky was supposed to really be a year one red shirt. Means went down though. Think about it. Who else CAN step up? So thin at 4-3 DE BUT.. a 3-4 DE is a SDE in a 4-3. Cominsky's best fit is a 3-4 SDE, his film says. 

2) Yeah. Quinn has his LEO or "Elephant" always on the LOS. Can pass rush and control his gap. In more simple terms, he can close the running lanes and rush the passer. Vic isn't the base LEO starter because of his inability to defend against the run. However, Beasley is a competent pass rusher and is quite underrated in coverage. WIth linebackers like ours, and in this system, the LEO doesn't need to drop back into coverage often. If anybody on the LOS would drop, it would probably be the SLB. 

3) For Quinn, I believe it was Red Bryant. But, Michael Bennett was so good for DQ that he virtually could play any technique. But the primary guy at 5T was Red Bryant. From what I remember, he was an average pass rusher and a wall against the run. He struggled playing at defensive tackle, where he was then tasked with C gap control. Quinn moved him to 5T in 2010.  

how is Clayborn v the run?  i know hes a heck of a pass rusher

i guess when you put it that way- we need Cominsky due to depth concerns.  who knows he may well start by the end of the year.

It was so funny seeing a huge guy like red bryant being used that far from the ball.  kind of out of place visually.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 7:47 PM, cam-marino said:

If he's drafted by Atlanta, he may be the starting LEO in base. Probably going to replace Clayborn?

that would be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

how is Clayborn v the run?  i know hes a heck of a pass rusher

i guess when you put it that way- we need Cominsky due to depth concerns.  who knows he may well start by the end of the year.

It was so funny seeing a huge guy like red bryant being used that far from the ball.  kind of out of place visually.  

Haha, yeah. Bryant was one of the weirdest formation guys in the league. As far as Adrian against the run, he's solid. Not great, but solid. He was used in the interior, like Takk McKinley, so I'd imagine the team is comfortable with his run D. And right, Cominsky is almost going to be forced into time. It's just how it played out.

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

Haha, yeah. Bryant was one of the weirdest formation guys in the league. As far as Adrian against the run, he's solid. Not great, but solid. He was used in the interior, like Takk McKinley, so I'd imagine the team is comfortable with his run D. And right, Cominsky is almost going to be forced into time. It's just how it played out.

Can’t wait to see how the defense plays out this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VTCrunkler said:

Can’t wait to see how the defense plays out this year!

Yessir. You think DQ is gone if defense suffers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

Yessir. You think DQ is gone if defense suffers?

I don’t think he’s gone but he will be firmly on the hot seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now