FalconsIn2012

2019 Defense: Turnovers & Less Cover 3

31 posts in this topic

It’s odd that Quinn is known for his brilliance in the Cover 3 zone, yet all of our best defensive games in 2016 & 2017 were in plaster man coverage.  Once Tru went down on n 2016 we opted to simplify things and go man coverage.  The results:  after Week 12 we allowed under 6 ppg in the 1st half.  Every single game was over by halftime (SB was until it wasn’t).

In 2017, after getting shredded by Seattle for 31 points we again opted for more Cover 1 and less zone.  The results: over the final 6 weeks of the regular season and two playoff games we allowed a minuscule 16 ppg despite playing the Saints twice (28.5 ppg), the Eagles (29 ppg) & Rams (30 ppg).

For some reason our back end plays better in man.  If there is one big scheme deviation in 2019, I hope it’s less to do about 34 packages and more to do with running man or at least pattern match zone in the secondary.

We ate up the Rams in  plaster coverage.  Fingers crossed we see much more of this in 2019

Another thing to get excited about: TURNOVERS.  Quinn knows how to create them.  

In 2016 we had 12 TO’s thru Week 13.  Once Quinn started calling the plays, the Falcons forced 15 TO’s in the last 7 games including 2 in every playoff game

Falcons Fan MVP and PokerSteve like this

2 hours ago, quotemokc said:

I would actually like more disguised coverages

Things I expect to see more of:

1. Cover 1 with Robber - this was our bread and butter once Tru  went down in 2016.  Requires solid CB play on the outside and a high IQ FS.   With Rico healthy, we can use this again.  

robber.jpg

Dre works great in this concept.  If the QB makes a poor read or bad throw, he can destroy the slot receiver. For an example, look at the first play from scrimmage in SB 51.  

2.  Dime Coverage Wrinkles: something that is really hard on a quarterback is when multiple defenders have robber responsibilities.  This is how we confused Brady in the first half of SB 51 and ultimately forced him into a pick-6

robberswitch.jpg

Here, Alford starts out on Edelman with Neal robbing in the middle. When Edelman crosses, the Falcons switch roles. 

Brady was not ready for it. He assumes that Alford, who has been on Edelman consistently, would simply do whatever necessary to follow him. But the “robber” is actually waiting to pick up Edelman because he is the first to cross into the middle of the field, leaving Alford free in the middle to “rob” Brady’s throw.

3.  Debo Disguised Drops Into Coverage:  another wrinkle out of man coverage in 2016 was having Deion Jones align over the center or guard and then drop back to double-team the closest inside receiver.  This is how he will get 4-5 INT’s in 2016.  Only works if Dre can lock down the TE, which he did in 2017 but struggled with last year

I agree with your premise this defense has consistently played better in man than Cover 3. Quinn says he has watched every snap of this defense for the past few seasons and hopefully he's picked up on it.

Won't take long to find out once the season starts.  I definitely think we're going to see a much more aggressive, turn-over seeking D with him in direct control now.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I agree with your premise this defense has consistently played better in man than Cover 3. Quinn says he has watched every snap of this defense for the past few seasons and hopefully he's picked up on it.

Won't take long to find out once the season starts.  I definitely think we're going to see a much more aggressive, turn-over seeking D with him in direct control now.

Fingers crossed

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

The turnovers are coming.....it’s like a 150 hitter in baseball their due

TO Margin under Smith in 2016: 13:10

TO Margin under Quinn/Manuel in 2016: 15:2

You won’t lose often playing like that

PokerSteve and Atl Falcon like this

22 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

TO Margin under Smith in 2016: 13:10

TO Margin under Quinn/Manuel in 2016: 15:2

You won’t lose often playing like that

It’s time the ball started bouncing our way. 

2 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

It’s time the ball started bouncing our way. 

You make your own luck.  Go take the dang ball away

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You make your own luck.  Go take the dang ball away

And players have to make plays -  idk the stats but playoff teams and the best teams in the playoffs usually have a big plus in that ratio. But some of it is pure luck

Edited by Atl Falcon
FalconsIn2012 likes this

The defense has been trending more man coverage in recent years.  I'm sure DQ loves to play man, BUT it was only feasible when all of our defenders were healthy.  I remember seeing an article months ago mentioning that because we lost many starters on defense, we started playing more zone coverage again.  I also remember an article breaking down the defensive tendencies and it showed more snaps of man coverage in games with all starters healthy by a wide margin than games where 2 or more starters on defense were out.  (Man coverage is also what got us a 20 point lead against NE in the superbowl AND lost us the lead because the defense got tired from it)  

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

He knows this because we play more man late in the season and especially in the playoffs. 2017 we beat the rams because they were anticipating cover 3 and we went primarily cover 1. Same with 2016. I think it’s by design and by the time the playoffs come around he doesn’t want a lot of tape on cover 1. So when we do something different it stymies the opponent. 

4 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Fingers crossed

You gotta play both. Cover 3 is a beast when it’s run right. And by that I mean pressure is relentless up front. You’re gonna get more turnovers in cover 3 than cover 1 when the pressure makes the qb release the ball early or force errant throws. From what I’ve observed he likes to go more cover 1 late in the season and into the playoffs. That’s like an ace up his sleeve for the playoffs. The rams were expecting cover 3 in 2017 and got primarily cover 1 and it threw their entire offensive strategy off. I don’t mind cover 3 as long as we’re getting relentless pressure up front. That’s the key to cover 3. Then we have cover 1 in our back pocket when we wanna switch it up on an opponent. If the pressure is great up front this year expect cover 3 to yield a lot of turnovers ala 2016. That’s the main reason I like cover 3. It yields turnovers when pressure is good. Love cover 1 when we wanna be tight and stingy. 

Does anybody know why Trufant was so inefficient when Marquand was our DC? How does Quinn utilize Trufant as compared to Manuel? 

Correct me if im wrong, but is it b/c Marquand forced Trufant to play off-man and give a cushion rather than letting Trufant get physical at the LOS and jam guys?

Faithful Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

Does anybody know why Trufant was so inefficient when Marquand was our DC? How does Quinn utilize Trufant as compared to Manuel? 

Correct me if im wrong, but is it b/c Marquand forced Trufant to play off-man and give a cushion rather than letting Trufant get physical at the LOS and jam guys?

Because Manuel was bad. He called cover 2 way too often when we aren't a cover 2 team and cover 2 is a weak coverage.

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

He knows this because we play more man late in the season and especially in the playoffs. 2017 we beat the rams because they were anticipating cover 3 and we went primarily cover 1. Same with 2016. I think it’s by design and by the time the playoffs come around he doesn’t want a lot of tape on cover 1. So when we do something different it stymies the opponent. 

Interesting idea.  So kind of setting up our key games or post season to unleash it?

22 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Because Manuel was bad. He called cover 2 way too often when we aren't a cover 2 team and cover 2 is a weak coverage.

Just spoke to Manuel. He told me that you were a bad coverage, not cover 2. He doesn't like you anymore :/

17 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s odd that Quinn is known for his brilliance in the Cover 3 zone, yet all of our best defensive games in 2016 & 2017 were in plaster man coverage.  Once Tru went down on n 2016 we opted to simplify things and go man coverage.  The results:  after Week 12 we allowed under 6 ppg in the 1st half.  Every single game was over by halftime (SB was until it wasn’t).

In 2017, after getting shredded by Seattle for 31 points we again opted for more Cover 1 and less zone.  The results: over the final 6 weeks of the regular season and two playoff games we allowed a minuscule 16 ppg despite playing the Saints twice (28.5 ppg), the Eagles (29 ppg) & Rams (30 ppg).

For some reason our back end plays better in man.  If there is one big scheme deviation in 2019, I hope it’s less to do about 34 packages and more to do with running man or at least pattern match zone in the secondary.

We ate up the Rams in  plaster coverage.  Fingers crossed we see much more of this in 2019

First off, I like the first few words, because Quinn has been the one running things. The cover 3 isn't as bad, he just has to become a better HC. When something isn't working, make an adjustment. The Super Bowl was the results of us living by "The best defense is a good offense". Patriots played less aggressive on defense in the first half. Bill Belichick made adjustments. Tom Brady didn't throw a long pass at all in the second half. We always talk about if we had ran the ball, and kicked a FG. If we had a coach that knew what the h3ll he was doing, it would have never been close. I really hope he proves me wrong this season.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

First off, I like the first few words, because Quinn has been the one running things. The cover 3 isn't as bad, he just has to become a better HC. When something isn't working, make an adjustment. The Super Bowl was the results of us living by "The best defense is a good offense". Patriots played less aggressive on defense in the first half. Bill Belichick made adjustments. Tom Brady didn't throw a long pass at all in the second half. We always talk about if we had ran the ball, and kicked a FG. If we had a coach that knew what the h3ll he was doing, it would have never been close. I really hope he proves me wrong this season.

Belichick actually didn’t make many adjustments.  That’s the good of it all

19 minutes ago, cam-marino said:

Just spoke to Manuel. He told me that you were a bad coverage, not cover 2. He doesn't like you anymore :/

Fine with that.