FalconFanSince1970

A Look At The New Hawks

169 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

There's this though:

 

I know.   I just wanted to post the gif and video...:lol:

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Maybe Deyonte Davis or the other guy we had on the roster last year (can't remember his name ).

These other FA PFs and Cs I find interesting (still young with NBA experience:

Ivica Zubac, Trey Lyles, Christian Wood, Dragan Bender, Khem Birch, Kosta Koufus, Jamychal Green.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

Alex Poythress?  I think he has been working out with the team at Emory this offseason.

That's him. Is Davis still around? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

That's him. Is Davis still around? 

Haven't heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My neighbor son played HS and AAU Basketball with Polythress - who went onto UK.  Neighbor son played for ARMY at West Point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

These other FA PFs and Cs I find interesting (still young with NBA experience:

Ivica Zubac, Trey Lyles, Christian Wood, Dragan Bender, Khem Birch, Kosta Koufus, Jamychal Green.

 

Lyles is very interesting but I thought about six days or so ago Denver made him a restricted FA. However Green would be a great fit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Lyles is very interesting but I thought about six days or so ago Denver made him a restricted FA. However Green would be a great fit!

He is a RFA, meaning another team can offer him a contract but Denver has the right to match the offer if they want to keep him.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

He is a RFA, meaning another team can offer him a contract but Denver has the right to match the offer if they want to keep him.

He didn’t seem to have to productive of a year with the nuggets but they seem to want to give him an opportunity to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

He didn’t seem to have to productive of a year with the nuggets but they seem to want to give him an opportunity to succeed.

He played well when Millsap was hurt the previous year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just updated the OP to add Parker and Jones' highlights. One is possibly an end of bench rim defender. The other is a vet bench player that can get buckets and dish. He can't play D but we may not even install a defensive system. :angry:

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Just updated the OP to add Parker and Jones' highlights. One is possibly an end of bench rim defender. The other is a vet bench player that can get buckets and dish. He can't play D but we may not even install a defensive system:angry:

You're jys5t gonna die on that hill aren't you, when that's just not the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

You're jys5t gonna die on that hill aren't you, when that's just not the case.

Good to hear that wasn't the case and we actually installed a defense.

Whatever we installed better improve or we're last in the league again.

Last place defensive teams don't win NBA Championships. Trust me bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Good to hear that wasn't the case and we actually installed a defense.

Whatever we installed better improve or we're last in the league again.

Last place defensive teams don't win NBA Championships. Trust me bro.

Prevention and protection - then Lloyd Pierce will get to all in his back pocket

Lloyd Pierce had a defensive philosophy developed during five seasons as an assistant coach with the 76ers.

He scrapped it when he became head coach of the Hawks. In fact, his system hasn’t been installed fully yet, even now after his first full season as a head coach.

Why?

“Anyone’s system is based on who you have and what you have to do,” Pierce said in an exclusive interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Pierce described his system in Philadelphia, where he served as the defensive coordinator, as “finish over length.” Hawks personnel didn’t allow for such an option. No such length to try to finish over. 

So Pierce came up with a new plan and a new mantra. He has dubbed it “prevention and protection.” First, don’t allow penetration into the restricted area and, if you do, make the necessary adjustment to protect at the rim. This commitment to defense must be consistent play-by-play, possession-by-possession. That takes time – and video work. Lots of video work. It takes showing blow-bys over and over. It takes showing the failure of a weakside defender to offer protection. It takes the willingness to leave a shooter to prevent a drive to the basket knowing someone else will rotate and help your void.

Pierce singled out DeAndre Bembry, who finally played a healthy season, as a defender who could be the initial prevention defender without much help.

General manager Travis Schlenk related a story regarding the Hawks’ defensive growth through the season. At the start of the season, if the Hawks switched a pick-and-roll, a bigger opponent would often back point guard Trae Young into the post. By the end of the season, Young was getting help from a weakside wing to neutralize the threat.

“Those small things that just take time for a young basketball team and young players to figure out are going to help our defensive numbers in general,” Schlenk said.

Pierce said he uses effective field-goal percentage defense has a barometer for his defense. The Hawks ranked 27th in the league this season at 54.1 percent. Blocks and steals are nice, but he looks at the volume of shots at the rim.

The schemes will come later – with more growth and development of his young team. Add those to a solid foundation of prevention and protection principles and the Hawks will be on their way. Pierce will know when he hears his players talking on defense on a consistent basis. Teams don’t talk if they are unsure of the defense, their role or their responsibility.

Then this...

 

 

 

And this.....

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check/hawks-head-las-vegas-looking-for-more-defense/XNlxTwTFcoYUPo58dYlVJM/

No.11 and Beef like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Prevention and protection - then Lloyd Pierce will get to all in his back pocket

Lloyd Pierce had a defensive philosophy developed during five seasons as an assistant coach with the 76ers.

He scrapped it when he became head coach of the Hawks. In fact, his system hasn’t been installed fully yet, even now after his first full season as a head coach.

Why?

“Anyone’s system is based on who you have and what you have to do,” Pierce said in an exclusive interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Pierce described his system in Philadelphia, where he served as the defensive coordinator, as “finish over length.” Hawks personnel didn’t allow for such an option. No such length to try to finish over. 

So Pierce came up with a new plan and a new mantra. He has dubbed it “prevention and protection.” First, don’t allow penetration into the restricted area and, if you do, make the necessary adjustment to protect at the rim. This commitment to defense must be consistent play-by-play, possession-by-possession. That takes time – and video work. Lots of video work. It takes showing blow-bys over and over. It takes showing the failure of a weakside defender to offer protection. It takes the willingness to leave a shooter to prevent a drive to the basket knowing someone else will rotate and help your void.

Pierce singled out DeAndre Bembry, who finally played a healthy season, as a defender who could be the initial prevention defender without much help.

General manager Travis Schlenk related a story regarding the Hawks’ defensive growth through the season. At the start of the season, if the Hawks switched a pick-and-roll, a bigger opponent would often back point guard Trae Young into the post. By the end of the season, Young was getting help from a weakside wing to neutralize the threat.

“Those small things that just take time for a young basketball team and young players to figure out are going to help our defensive numbers in general,” Schlenk said.

Pierce said he uses effective field-goal percentage defense has a barometer for his defense. The Hawks ranked 27th in the league this season at 54.1 percent. Blocks and steals are nice, but he looks at the volume of shots at the rim.

The schemes will come later – with more growth and development of his young team. Add those to a solid foundation of prevention and protection principles and the Hawks will be on their way. Pierce will know when he hears his players talking on defense on a consistent basis. Teams don’t talk if they are unsure of the defense, their role or their responsibility.

Then this...

 

 

 

And this.....

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check/hawks-head-las-vegas-looking-for-more-defense/XNlxTwTFcoYUPo58dYlVJM/

I'll read all that later. Hopefully somewhere in there it says Pierce tried to implement a defense last year. I'm sure he did and got hamstrung by players that don't know how to play defense. Probably why we were last in the league. Unfortunately as of 7/8/19 our primary scorers are likely Trae, Huerter, Collins, Parker and Len. None of whom can play defense. Very Dimi like roster. Maybe he can coach em up with the new Hawk defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Q. What are your thoughts about the roster as it currently stands after all the moves that you made?

A. We are comfortable with where we are. We feel like we have good depth — three centers, three forwards, six guards when you count Charlie (Brown). Really, we like the versatility of it, too. Other than really Alex Len and Trae (Young), guys can play multiple positions. We are pretty comfortable.

 

Q. Are you done?

A. We’ll probably add one more veteran.

 

Q. Do you plan on adding another two-way player?

A. Yes. The staff is going through that right now, just evaluating who is out there. Watching all these games to put together a list.

 

Q. Can you give me any insight on the trade of Omari Spellman?

A. It balanced our roster out a little bit. Getting (Damian Jones) back who can play center and we get a future pick for taking on very little salary. 

 

Q. Have you thought about bringing back Vince Carter?

A. We’ve talked to him. I think he has options. I think he has interest in us. I’ve been talking to his agent.

 

Q. When you do develop a plan to play the young core of players?

A. That will start when we get everyone back healthy and in September. The coaching staff will sit down and figure out what the rotation is going to look like. Lloyd (Pierce) understands that we need to get these guys minutes. Last year, Trae and John (Collins) played about 30 minutes. They are probably going to play 35 minutes this year as they continue to grow. De’Andre (Hunter) is obviously going to play a lot of minutes. Cam (Reddish) we are going to play a lot.

 

Q. Does the style of play change at all with the players you have brought in?

A. No, I don’t think so. What we did was we traded away some wings but we drafted some wings, versatile guys. A little more focus on two-way players, De’Andre andFernando (Bruno) both are really good defensive players. I think Cam is an underrated defensive player, too.

 

Q. In hindsight, you went into this offseason with the draft lottery and then the six draft picks. How do you think you did when it was all said and done?

A. We got three guys that I don’t want to say we targeted but guys we were really high on. We had both Cam and De’Andre rating in the top five all year long. Every month we do rankings and our group had them in the top five. We can walk away with two of those guys, we feel really good about. We were really high on Bruno and when he slid down to the second round, we cashed in some of our chips to go get him. We think he has a bright future.

 

 

 

blkbigdog35 and Beef like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 8:23 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Good to hear that wasn't the case and we actually installed a defense.

Whatever we installed better improve or we're last in the league again.

Last place defensive teams don't win NBA Championships. Trust me bro.

Coach cut his teeth as a defensive coach for the Grizzlies & Sixers.  It is his speciality.  Needed players to run his system.  That’s what this draft was all about IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Coach cut his teeth as a defensive coach for the Grizzlies & Sixers.  It is his speciality.  Needed players to run his system.  That’s what this draft was all about IMO

His likely top five 2019 scorers can't play defense. Bettter coach em up.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

His likely top five 2019 scorers can't play defense. Bettter coach em up.

You know, you’re probably right about Hunter/Reddish not being amongst our top 5 scorers.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now