FalconFanSince1970

A Look At The New Hawks

169 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Some Bruno recognition!  Reading some of his tweets and recognize how mature and motivated this kid is.  Definitely welcome to the A young man!!!

Team Captain, 2021

blkbigdog35 likes this

On 6/22/2019 at 1:22 PM, g-dawg said:

The goal for 2019-2020 season isn’t really to win a lot of games nor make the playoffs - that may happen but it shouldn’t be the goal.

Th goal is to continue to see improvements from Collins, Trae, Huerter and Spellman while working in the rookies.   Hunter will probably be day#1 starter while bringing Reddish off the bench.

We probably re-sign VIN-sanity for one more year as mentor and coach on the floor but Hawks just need 1-2 other vets that will provide leadership.   

The ideal scenario would be to get better and still miss playoffs and get in the lottery - maybe we get ping pong balls to finally fall our way.   FFS1970, it has ZERO to do with tanking so don’t start that sheot.

Schlenk is building this team the right way and he is not going to sign some “good” FA just so Hawks can win 45-55 games.   Hawks were in that 4-8 seed forever.   Once you get in that range and stay there for a few years, it’s hard to get out.

Schlenk has a plan and he’s executing said plan.  He’s not gonna rush it.   2021 is target year to put the cherry on the top!

Excellent post, G-Dawg. The goal is to have these young guys grow, show a lot of promise, and keep our cap space clean for next summer.

The best case scenario would be for the growth to happen while we get in as a 7-8 seed in the playoffs, scare the life out of someone (like we did in 07-08 with Boston), and have that be the catalyst for a big FA to actually take the money we have on hand. 

g-dawg and jayu70 like this

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Here's a quick look at the roster. This will certainly change. Probably leaving a couple guys off. Pretty decent roster. We should be able to compete. Finished last season on a .500 pace which would have been good enough for the eighth seed in the east. Added some nice rookie pieces, so we should improve on that. We get to dump about $63M and four old heads next year. When we do we will have a solid young nucleus with no one older than 26 years old. Plus we could have two firsts, two seconds and enough cap space to sign two max free agents. Times are lookin pretty good in Hawks Nation folks. Yeah.

Trae Young PG 6'2 180
Cam Reddish SG 6'8 208
De'Andre Hunter SF 6'7 223
John Collins PF 6'10 235
Alex Len C 7'1 250
Matt Mooney PG 6'3 200
Kevin Huerter SG 6'7 190
De'Andre Bembry SF 6'6 210
Omari Spellman PF 6'9 245
Bruno Fernando C 6'10 240
Jaylen Adams PG 6'2 190
Kent Bazemore SG 6'5 201
Justin Anderson SF 6'6 230
Solomon Hill SF 6'7 225
Miles Plumlee C 6'11 249
Allen Crabbe SG 6'6 212
Charlie Brown SG 6'7 197
Issac Hunphries C 7'0 255

The length on this team is impressive....

Youth, length,  shooting

Just need to find a decent backup point guard

FalconFanSince1970 and g-dawg like this

Just now, atljbo said:

Youth, length,  shooting

Yeah the length is nice. Mooney might be a decent back up point. Check out his highlight reel. Can shoot, distribute and play defense. Should be an upgrade over Adams. I wouldn't mind one more PF for depth in case Collins or Spellman get hurt. Both did last year. Would be nice if we could somehow sign Bobby Portis.

atljbo and blkbigdog35 like this

30 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah the length is nice. Mooney might be a decent back up point. Check out his highlight reel. Can shoot, distribute and play defense. Should be an upgrade over Adams. I wouldn't mind one more PF for depth in case Collins or Spellman get hurt. Both did last year. Would be nice if we could somehow sign Bobby Portis.

Dude I'm a big bobby portis guy.. I think he will paid to be a starter

But yea with the youth I think we will look for a vet PG

12 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

That is because you love to listen to older music not from your generation.

You'd be surprised at how many people that either don't like or just not willing to listen to old music that isn't from their generation or lifetime.

I didn't start listening to older music until college, so it makes sense

49 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Youth, length,  shooting

I was hoping Jordan Bone would go undrafted and the Hawks could scoop him.

33 minutes ago, wuskillzz said:

I was hoping Jordan Bone would go undrafted and the Hawks could scoop him.

I think we actually drafted him in a trade with NO & DET. He would have been nice. Here's a video of his brother giving him condolences for not getting drafted, just before we drafted him near the end of the draft.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Pvx83NVE--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/iqz3oqmrcslkxhzpmlw9.mp4

9 hours ago, Nereek said:

My little cousin in 15 and knows who outkast is.

Some youngstas know, while some youngstas don't.

I guess Reddish is one of the ones that don't.

1 hour ago, wuskillzz said:

I didn't start listening to older music until college, so it makes sense

I know quite a few people who didn't pick up on older music until they got older as well. Reddish is also from Philly, so I bet his music playlist has plenty of Meek Mill on it lol.

Diggable Birds and wuskillzz like this

7 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Team Captain, 2021

Kid is a hard worker, leader and very motivated and should fit in very well!!!

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yes man the tournament run with Culver showed me the kid has game.  Mooney should have a legitimate shot considering it’s only Adams he’s going against in summer league.  I think we will have to sign another big.  Can’t wait til we can dump Plumlee!!

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

On 6/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, VTCrunkler said:

I’m really impressed. We’ve rebounded nicely after the Danny ferry dismissal. I felt we were finally getting back on track with DF and Bud. So glad we are back to having a more than competent GM. 

I am glad as well ... Seems like the owners know they must have a GM that knows the game of basketball instead of a fantasy nerd that just knows stats and good for dodging hard questions ... 

nerd.jpg

jayu70 and VTCrunkler like this

On 6/23/2019 at 8:53 AM, blkbigdog35 said:

Damm now this is some putting in work ish.  Schlenk has liked Reddish for a while!!!

i was listening to an nba insider who was a scout on nba network on sirius xm and he was talking about the hawks draft and the one comment he made was "reddish was a top 5 talent coming out of high school.  he is still that talent who should flourish in atlanta".  i am very excited with this draft.. we got a lot of nice talent including Bruno. 

36 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i was listening to an nba insider who was a scout on nba network on sirius xm and he was talking about the hawks draft and the one comment he made was "reddish was a top 5 talent coming out of high school.  he is still that talent who should flourish in atlanta".  i am very excited with this draft.. we got a lot of nice talent including Bruno. 

No doubt Sac Schlenk is really doing his due diligence.  I think Cam being at Duke with RJ and Zion affected him but I still saw flashes of his game!  Hawks have a very exciting roster!

g-dawg likes this

3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Moves I'd like:

Backup PG - sign Corey Joseph (we need a vet PG)

Backup C - resign Dedmon

Waive Solomon Hill - resign Vince.

Do you think Dedmon’s asking price is going to be high?  I know we have early bird rights, correct? I definitely want him back!!

On 6/22/2019 at 8:41 AM, Nereek said:

I have some terrible news everyone... Cam Reddish didn't know who Outkast is. 

Ill give him a pass hes 19 and  not from the south. When outkast released their joint album in 2003 he was 4 yrs old. so I get it, shocked but I get it. 

47 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Do you think Dedmon’s asking price is going to be high?  I know we have early bird rights, correct? I definitely want him back!!

The Hawks would definitely like to have Dedmon back - at issue is Hawks don’t really want to commit past a one year deal so as to preserve future cap space for two max players.  Desmond is 30yrs old and coming off a great year so he likely wants to cash in with a multi-year offer.

I believe Hawks won’t mess up their plan even though they want Desmond back.   Will depends on the market.  I would say greater chance he won’t be back.   Say 30% chance he stays.

Diggable Birds and blkbigdog35 like this

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The Hawks would definitely like to have Dedmon back - at issue is Hawks don’t really want to commit past a one year deal so as to preserve future cap space for two max players.  Desmond is 30yrs old and coming off a great year so he likely wants to cash in with a multi-year offer.

I believe Hawks won’t mess up their plan even though they want Desmond back.   Will depends on the market.  I would say greater chance he won’t be back.   Say 30% chance he stays.

Even though we will have the cap space I doubt we sign two max players, Id rather have Lin over Dedmon - I feel like he should be a part of our young core going ffwd people really underrate Lin I was surprised by his play last season we need to keep him -If we can keep Dedmon at a reasonable price Id do it -We have that manikin Plumblee coming off the books soon.

Edited by Diggable Birds

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Listening to Cam on the radio now. Says he knows who Oukast is. Has seen em before. Just choked on camera when asked.

So good to know.   Was ready to cut him.

wuskillzz and jayu70 like this