Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therawest

DeAndre Hunter at 4!

73 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I love what UGA basketball has done.  You going to any games this year?  Finally back on the map.  Even without Edwards it is our best class in a long, long time

By the way Maria Maria was smokin last night 

3 hours ago, Nereek said:

I didnt hate the pick, I just didn't like trading up that high, but it all worked out anyways.

2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

I think you had to to be able to get him. I was wrong about reddish. He was available. I did t think so. I’m glad we also got him. 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

I would have not liked it as much if we didn't have a ton of assets already. We still have our pick next year and the Brooklyn pick. The fact that we kept 10 yesterday made me happy too. 

When you get a bunch of assets, you've gotta do something with them. Don't pull a Celtics and strike out on PG13, Kawhi, AND AD. They did get Kyrie, but meh, he's gone now. And it couldn't have happened to a better team lol. 

This, we don't want to be a hoarder like Danny strAinge and have assets lose value.

From reading around these interwebs, the following teams were all trying to get to #4. Celtics - were upset that No. 4 was traded to another team when they had an offer in, they wanted Garland. Minny - NOP wanted Covington and #11 for #4, they balked and instead moved up to 6 hoping Garland would fall,  the missed him when Cavs picked him, why... because the Hawks jumped the Cavs for Hunter who they were targetting. So Cavs consolation was Garland.

Fortune favors the Bold.

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

Got lucky

Sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good.

VTCrunkler and Marco102 like this

32 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

This, we don't want to be a hoarder like Danny strAinge and have assets lose value.

From reading around these interwebs, the following teams were all trying to get to #4. Celtics - were upset that No. 4 was traded to another team when they had an offer in, they wanted Garland. Minny - NOP wanted Covington and #11 for #4, they balked and instead moved up to 6 hoping Garland would fall,  the missed him when Cavs picked him, why... because the Hawks jumped the Cavs for Hunter who they were targetting. So Cavs consolation was Garland.

Fortune favors the Bold.

Sometimes it's just better to be lucky than good.

Rather be good to win a championship than just being lucky.

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

don't want to be a hoarder like Danny strAing

six picks seem like too much.  im glad we were able to package something and move up to get our target.  

Posted (edited)

I rewatched more De’Andre Hunter highlights and I like him even more now. Schlenk must really like him. I love how they allowed the smokescreen to play out on Culver, Hunter was their guy all along. 

Edited by therawest
Marco102, g-dawg and Xero like this

Good call. That was definitely a smoke screen and I thought it was culver but now we get to see why hunter was almost unanimously mocked ahead of him. Should be a fun season with our haul. I’m kinda surprised nobody has really mentioned big Bruno. Dudes a sleeper and should fly up over re drafts next year. 

therawest, oztin and g-dawg like this

On 6/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, Zone#7 said:

Think that's the guy Danny Ferry mentioned in the conference call that got him fired. :ninja:

I still miss Danny Ferry :(

His ouster was political correctness run completely amok. He was a great GM.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, therawest said:

I rewatched more De’Andre Hunter highlights and I like him even more now. Schlenk must really like him. I love how they allowed the smokescreen to play out on Culver, Hunter was their guy all along. 

It’s the same in college football recruiting.  Follow the workouts/visits.

Hunter only worked out for Hawks.

Culver didn’t 

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

It’s the same in college football recruiting.  Follow the workouts/visits.

Hunter only worked out for Hawks.

Culver didn’t 

True. Teams will not work out lottery guys just for a smokescreen. For one, It's really not fair to the players to do that, and if agents find out you're having BS workouts word will get around quick. But I actually like the pick, we need a defensive dog that can also move without the ball on offense.

g-dawg likes this

22 hours ago, Xero said:

Good call. That was definitely a smoke screen and I thought it was culver but now we get to see why hunter was almost unanimously mocked ahead of him. Should be a fun season with our haul. I’m kinda surprised nobody has really mentioned big Bruno. Dudes a sleeper and should fly up over re drafts next year. 

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing for watching his highlights he seems like a physical threat down low who doesn't mind mixing it up

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, therawest said:

Bruno is a nice pick up. I love the passion and energy he plays with. He actually has a lot of skill and is a very nice compliment to Hunter and the rest of the team. 

I have been watching Bruno highlights and interviews this morning.   He is a great prospect that was used at Maryland like an old school/traditional center and showed he can do that.   Enforcer on defense and mad dunker on offense.  He also showed great ability to play with back to the basket - the turnover thing was mainly because of playing with back to basket and posting up so much - this won’t happen as much in Hawks floor spacing system with Trae Young.   Bruno shows ability to shoot outside but didn’t get a lot of opportunity there.  Good free throw shooter for his size.

On interviews he showed a lot of maturity and expressed desire for team goals/winning and works out hard.   Saw a lot of work on ball handling drills and he performed well in those - definitely has decent handles for a big man.

Hawks will work with Bruno and help further develop his jump shot - he should be a great role player for Hawks.

oztin and Diggable Birds like this

38 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I have been watching Bruno highlights and interviews this morning.   He is a great prospect that was used at Maryland like an old school/traditional center and showed he can do that.   Enforcer on defense and mad dunker on offense.  He also showed great ability to play with back to the basket - the turnover thing was mainly because of playing with back to basket and posting up so much - this won’t happen as much in Hawks floor spacing system with Trae Young.   Bruno shows ability to shoot outside but didn’t get a lot of opportunity there.  Good free throw shooter for his size.

On interviews he showed a lot of maturity and expressed desire for team goals/winning and works out hard.   Saw a lot of work on ball handling drills and he performed well in those - definitely has decent handles for a big man.

Hawks will work with Bruno and help further develop his jump shot - he should be a great role player for Hawks.

Schlenk hates drafting second round players, but he made trades to move up and get Bruno, a guy most of us were saying get at 17 even.  Still can’t believe he lasted to 34.

Xero and g-dawg like this

18 minutes ago, Beef said:

Schlenk hates drafting second round players, but he made trades to move up and get Bruno, a guy most of us were saying get at 17 even.  Still can’t believe he lasted to 34.

Bruno was a late 1st round talent that fell - probably mostly due to how he was used and because he is still a little raw.

Fully believe Bruno was a target prior to draft night as we worked him out and were linked to Bruno by those that traffic in NBA information.

The Trade-Up for Hunter took Bruno out of play but had Hawks kept all their picks - they were gonna get Bruno at some point.   Looks like he would have fell to #35 but you never know - Schlenk could have even taken him at #17, although doubt.

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

If you have some of those interview and dribbling videos, please post them here. 

11 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Sometimes no news is good news.  Kid is probably working on his game!

I hope so. He has a chance to be an immediate upgrade over Prince defensively. 

9 minutes ago, therawest said:

I hope so. He has a chance to be an immediate upgrade over Prince defensively. 

No doubt and I think he’s going to surprise people with his offense.  He was pretty consistent at UVA!