FalconsIn2020

PFT: Julio, Thomas or Evans: Agree or Disagree?

109 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Do you think at 34 Julio will still be top 5 WR in NFL?

Yes. When freaks of nature lose a step they usually just even out with everybody else. Roddy as much as I liked him wasn’t a freak of nature athlete so when he lost a step it really showed. Julio will just be as good as the best when he does. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Plus the fact that Julio is still better than both at 30. PLUS the fact that Julio is the only one of the bunch that can take the top off the defense. And he’s 30. 

To me you have the following WR Classifications

- Tier QLJ: max capacity one.  Unless Quintorris is your name, you don’t qualify 

- Tier everyone else

TheFatboi likes this

Just now, TheFatboi said:

Yes. When freaks of nature lose a step they usually just even out with everybody else. Roddy as much as I liked him wasn’t a freak of nature athlete so when he lost a step it really showed. Julio will just be as good as the best when he does. 

And Julio has mastered the technique of his craft.  He is no longer just an athlete.  

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

I wonder if it seems Evans has been around forever because we have to face him twice per season (and he usually makes some big plays against us).  

Dudes been a consistent producer his entire career. they're lowkey though. I didn't even realize how good of a season he had last season until last week

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

And Julio has mastered the technique of his craft.  He is no longer just an athlete.  

Excellent  point. When you master your craft you play smarter so when you lose some of that physical ability it’s balanced out by adjusting your technique. You can only do that by mastering your craft. 

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

To me you have the following WR Classifications

- Tier QLJ: max capacity one.  Unless Quintorris is your name, you don’t qualify 

- Tier everyone else

Lol. Exactly. 

2 hours ago, ki46dinah said:

hahahaha.....(deep breath)....hahahahah

Thomas is not on the same level as Julio or even Evans for that matter

Thomas is more on level of Jarvis Landry or Keenan Allen.

Julio an Evans are premier, perimeter threats. Ala AJ Green, Hopkins.

I hope the Saints pay Thomas more than Julio though, that would be hillllarious

Yeah Thomas overrated, he is lucky he plays with Brees. Gimme an older Julio or Mike Evans over Thomas anytime.

14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

7 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Excellent  point. When you master your craft you play smarter so when you lose some of that physical ability it’s balanced out by adjusting your technique. You can only do that by mastering your craft. 

Plus team is smart in knowing not to abuse him and aggravate his aches/pains into something more serious. That’s why I laugh at folks who whine when Julio takes a play off from time to time. Or even a game off if necessary. 

Protect your investment. He and team docs know his body. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Plus team is smart in knowing not to abuse him and aggravate his aches/pains into something more serious. That’s why I laugh at folks who whine when Julio takes a play off from time to time. Or even a game off if necessary. 

Protect your investment. He and team docs know his body. 

He doesn’t even  really take more plays off than other elite WR’s.  I forget the numbers but they are just like every other elite WR.  75% of snaps is my recollection

Edit: 77% which is what AJ does.  Hopkins at 99% is not human

Vandy likes this

4 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

He even has a metal screw in his foot. No other proof needed.

Yup. The posters in here who clamored to trade Jones over last couple offseasons .....and we know who they are.....have been proven to have a few loose metal screws rolling around in their own heads. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Are we being stupid for extending Julio for 5 years then?  Honest question 

Depends on the numbers and years guaranteed. If they give him a record setting deal at his age and problems, yes we are. I take a chance on Julio for the next two years, but past that, we are taking a huge risk. I think the Falcons are about to really strap themselves for the future, for a guy ,they won't get a return on. I'll be really surprised if he is playing at a high level after the next year or two. Wouldn't be surprised if if bites us early. That's why Julio has been so dead set on getting it early, he knows it too. 

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

I wonder if it seems Evans has been around forever because we have to face him twice per season (and he usually makes some big plays against us).  

This and he was drafted early just like Gurley, in fact, Gurley is still 24 (will be 25 in August) and he’s entering his 5th year in the NFL. He was still 20 years old in training camp his rookie season.

2 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Thomas and Evans are about 6 years younger with tons of potential. I really don’t see the problem

Mike Evans’ potential has been overshadowed by the bad Bucs teams, but Michael Thomas is nothing like Julio or even Evans. Thomas dipped in the 2nd half of the season and he was nothing like Julio in the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Mike Evans’ potential has been overshadowed by the bad Bucs teams, but Michael Thomas is nothing like Julio or even Evans. Thomas dipped in the 2nd half of the season and he was nothing like Julio in the playoffs.

He’s still a very good football player. 

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Depends on the numbers and years guaranteed. If they give him a record setting deal at his age and problems, yes we are. I take a chance on Julio for the next two years, but past that, we are taking a huge risk. I think the Falcons are about to really strap themselves for the future, for a guy ,they won't get a return on. I'll be really surprised if he is playing at a high level after the next year or two. Wouldn't be surprised if if bites us early. That's why Julio has been so dead set on getting it early, he knows it too. 

We aren’t the Washington redskins HC. :ninja:

Falcons management are smarter in their player contracts than folks give them credit for. They may pay Julio top dollar, but will put enough out clauses in there to where they can get out if/when his play deteriorates. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

I would make the case for Evans to be considered against Julio, due to big play potential, as well as his age.  But in all honesty, Thomas is just not someone who I would view as a bigger weapon than Julio or Evans.  In three years Thomas has never averaged more than about 11-12 yards per catch.  Julio and Evans have never gotten that LOW in any year.  To me Thomas is a really skinny tight end.  He also falls under the same sense of when people say a QB who throws more than everyone else and gets more yards is good based solely on numbers.  MT gets lots of catches but not equivalent to yards needed if he was getting a better YPC average.  with his 11.8 YPC compared to JJ and ME 15.5 averages, he is missing out on 700-1000 yards because he averages enough for a first down every catch.  He also had only one 70 plus yard catch in his career, evans had 6 and julio 13+, now even taking into account the 3 years MT has been in the league, Evans and Jones still beat him with 3 and 6 respectively.  Maybe some will say he's just not a big play threat and he's more of a possession receiver, but in comparison to Julio and Evans, and getting a contract to deem the highest paid, shouldn't you be a great OVERALL receiver instead of just one thing?  Julio lacks in the TDs, YES, but TDs in this offense get spread around and this is still one of the best teams at high scoring and it starts with Julio drawing attention and getting his when he does, while also helping others to get theirs as well.

4 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Maybe, Evans has been tough to stop for the Falcons. Even when almost getting killed by Keanu a few years back, he still made the catch.

That was one of the best hits and one of the best catches all year, both on the same play.  

Vandy and DawnOfThemBirds like this

If a WR doesn't see bracket coverage or double coverage I wouldn't give them a big contract. I'm not giving Thomas that because he almost never see those coverages.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Thomas and Evans are about 6 years younger with tons of potential. I really don’t see the problem

I see a problem but it’s not with PFT.

Falcons are about to pay Julio $20mm/yr to make him highest paid for next 5yrs and we will be lucky if he is elite for 3 of those 5 years.  Julio has been so good for so long that no one thinks he will fall off but Father Time is undefeated.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Falcons are about to pay Julio $20mm/yr to make him highest paid for next 5yrs and we will be lucky if he is elite for 3 of those 5 years.  Julio has been so good for so long that no one thinks he will fall off but Father Time is undefeated.

The saints are about to make Thomas the highest paid WR

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

The saints are about to make Thomas the highest paid WR

Yes so?

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Why exactly would we be lucky? What makes you think that Julio is no longer elite at 32?