Cole World

How Chris Lindstrom became a Falcon - Dimitroff goes in-depth on why

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

If some could think about pinpoint passing accuracy from the standpoint of a golf swing, they might better understand this concept. 

Mechanics are really important. Step up into pocket and follow through throwing motion with your arm even after ball is out.

It was killing me to watch fans and national pundits  criticize Ryan’s mechanics in years he had terrible interior blockers, while comparing them to Brady and Brees in seasons they had outstanding interior pass protection. and a consistent pocket to step up into.  OF COURSE Ryan’s mechanics were off some of those years, he was throwing while backing up off his back feet or running laterally for his life while trying to make a play.

i, like you, believe this will be noticeable. And I also will watch his critics claim the lights are finally coming on for him, that he put in the work this offseason blah blah blah. Just wait to listen to national pundits who were always digging him magically come around this year.

what was that line, it’s the economy stupid. Well, this year it will be “It’s the pocket stupid” 

Keeping it 100. It’s just that simple. Matt was running for his life and the other two were comfortable in their pockets.  It’s about time we came to our senses and want to bolster the interior line. What a novel concept.  

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

You should see Brady toss the football away to ground it so quick when he has pressure he can’t avoid. I agree 100%. If Brady or breeze did not have a clean pocket they would not be as successful. 

When Matt has that kind of time he can carve a defense up with the best of them. 

Those who see this clearly realize just how good Ryan really is. He’s underrated mainly for his reason.  Brady and Brees suck if you take their pocket away. We did that in the Super Bowl in 2016, Quinn put together one heII of a gameplan that kept getting pressure up the A gaps, and he was horrible until our defense got tired. 

This year, I’m predicting we will hear pundits who have been critical of Ryan over the years proclaim “it looks like Ryan is finally starting to play at the level the other greats do” and dumb stuff like this. My response will be “it’s the pocket stupid” 

 

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Quinn put together one heII of a gameplan

i had never seen Tom Terrific bashed like he was in that game.  I have never seen him take so many hits in one game.  He even looked dazed in the second qtr...

 

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

it’s the pocket stupid

why dont the talking media heads do it?  are there any guys in the media that know whats going on?  what do you think of Greg Cosell

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

I just wish Brown’s contract went for the defense.  Wes is a capable backup OG. 

No sir.  Wes is not and was not capable of being backup OG.   Wes shouldn’t be in the league - he was a ZBS tackle in college and just way too underpowered to play big boy NFL football.   When Wes is/was a starter it was Gawd awful and, as a backup that would come in and play, it was still Gawd awful.   Hope he gets cut - I have seen that B-movie too many times already.

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 6:19 PM, gazoo said:

This confirms what I thought when we signed Ra’Shede Hageman one week before draft.

I speculated once we signed Hageman we were going OL with our top pick, and that it wouldn’t surprise me if we drafted 2 OL with our top 3 picks.

If Wilkins is there at 14 he is a Falcon.

Now could we trade back in the first for Lindstrom I doubt it but we will never know.

Wilkins/Lindstrom

Wilkins /McGary

Lindstrom/McGary

I wanted Wilkins but will gladly take Lindstrom.

VTCrunkler and gazoo like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No sir.  Wes is not and was not capable of being backup OG.   Wes shouldn’t be in the league - he was a ZBS tackle in college and just way too underpowered to play big boy NFL football.   When Wes is/was a starter it was Gawd awful and, as a backup that would come in and play, it was still Gawd awful.   Hope he gets cut - I have seen that B-movie too many times already.

We agree to disagree.  

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We agree to disagree.  

A good backup can come in and perform adequately - Wes never did that.   The offense was at disadvantage when he stepped  on the field.

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

If Wilkins is there at 14 he is a Falcon.

Now could we trade back in the first for Lindstrom I doubt it but we will never know.

Wilkins/Lindstrom

Wilkins /McGary

Lindstrom/McGary

I wanted Wilkins but will gladly take Lindstrom.

Minnesota was taking Lindstrom at #18 (they took Garrett Bradbury there).

To get up to #17, it wasn’t realistic unless we gave up 2nd/3rd/4th rounders and probably 2nd the following year as well.

No sir, it was #14 or Bust for Lindstrom.

Ovie_Lover and VTCrunkler like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We agree to disagree.  

If Wes was a good backup, then DQ/TD don’t sign two guards and draft one - we invested heavily in three guards for two spots.

You don’t do that if you believe Wes Schweitzer is adequate backup.

Ovie_Lover likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

If Wes was a good backup, then DQ/TD don’t sign two guards and draft one - we invested heavily in three guards for two spots.

You don’t do that if you believe Wes Schweitzer is adequate backup.

Aaaannnnnddddddd debate over.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xfactor said:

If Wilkins is there at 14 he is a Falcon

The Hageman signing revealed our draft strategy to me. Sure, we may have taken Wilkins and I too would have been good with that pick. I think Falcons  assumed he wouldn’t be there at the time they signed Hageman. Word gets out what teams are zeroing on what players as the draft approaches and we signed Hageman, surprisingly 1 week before the draft.

seems it would have been hard to lose either way though. I’m just lad we didn’t trade up, I think it fell perfectly. Lindstrom has all pro potential and I believe could play at high level immediately 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

why dont the talking media heads do it?  are there any guys in the media that know whats going on?  what do you think of Greg Cosell

Cosell is one of the best analysts out there. 

I think many of them have disregard, if not contempt, for teams that have a history of losing. I think this makes them lazy in their due diligence prior to games. You can sometimes tell when national pundits announce our games they didn’t watch much footage of our season or footage of our players. They often say stupid stuff that if all you did was look at player stats to conclude.

 Slowly some have come around but it’s taken a long time. If you haven’t watched our games you wouldn’t have any idea just how remarkable Ryan is under interior pressure and collapsing pockets. 

Brady and Brees also get pressure, but most of the time it’s off the edges, so they just step forward and dump ball off. Very, very different than pressure up A gap or pocket getting shoved into your feet. Lazy pundits don’t know this is happening to the degree it was. They look at pressure and sack stats and concede Ryan’s line isn’t all world, but  don’t watch enough film to see the problem with the interior. 

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Minnesota was taking Lindstrom at #18

this.  it was either lindstrom or bradbury for minny.  do we know/think lindstrom was higher on the board for minny?  either way we couldnt chance it

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

this.  it was either lindstrom or bradbury for minny.  do we know/think lindstrom was higher on the board for minny?  either way we couldnt chance it

Yes, from the whispers and tea leaves I read from that day - Lindstrom was the pick for Vikings over Bradbury.

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Yes, from the whispers and tea leaves I read from that day - Lindstrom was the pick for Vikings over Bradbury.

then we did good by getting him when we did.  same goes for McGary.  TD has proven himself to be canny like this time and time again.

Xfactor and g-dawg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The Hageman signing revealed our draft strategy to me. Sure, we may have taken Wilkins and I too would have been good with that pick. I think Falcons  assumed he wouldn’t be there at the time they signed Hageman. Word gets out what teams are zeroing on what players as the draft approaches and we signed Hageman, surprisingly 1 week before the draft.

seems it would have been hard to lose either way though. I’m just lad we didn’t trade up, I think it fell perfectly. Lindstrom has all pro potential and I believe could play at high level immediately 

If you believe the Falcons draft strategy hinged on a guy That DQ/TD cut two years earlier that had been out of football, you are misinformed - or, more likely, just a bad guesser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Cosell is one of the best analysts out there. 

I think many of them have disregard, if not contempt, for teams that have a history of losing. I think this makes them lazy in their due diligence prior to games. You can sometimes tell when national pundits announce our games they didn’t watch much footage of our season or footage of our players. They often say stupid stuff that if all you did was look at player stats to conclude.

 Slowly some have come around but it’s taken a long time. If you haven’t watched our games you wouldn’t have any idea just how remarkable Ryan is under interior pressure and collapsing pockets. 

Brady and Brees also get pressure, but most of the time it’s off the edges, so they just step forward and dump ball off. Very, very different than pressure up A gap or pocket getting shoved into your feet. Lazy pundits don’t know this is happening to the degree it was.

thats what i mean-  objectively how could you ignore what Ryan has done through his career.  Its as if no one has done their research.  

cowturd has come around, but for years he said MR= andy dalton!  the blasphemy!

al michaels has complete contempt for us.  i think the only on ive heard do us a solid was moose johnson...

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

thats what i mean-  objectively how could you ignore what Ryan has done through his career.  Its as if no one has done their research.  

cowturd has come around, but for years he said MR= andy dalton!  the blasphemy!

al michaels has complete contempt for us.  i think the only on ive heard do us a solid was moose johnson...

I’m trying to recall what national guys actually did their homework. Collinsworth was a jerk to us for decades, but has had a couple momentary lapses of objectivity in between the hate.

Troy Aikman, if I’m not mistaken, was one who clearly watched a lot of film of Ryan and his announcing reflected as much. 

Coward is just a useless mouthpiece to me. He’s like a shock jock, spewing inflammatory, divisive opinion designed to get clicks.

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I’m trying to recall what national guys actually did their homework. Collinsworth was a jerk to us for decades, but has had a couple momentary lapses of objectivity in between the hate.

Troy Aikman, if I’m not mistaken, was one who clearly watched a lot of film of Ryan and his announcing reflected as much. 

Coward is just a useless mouthpiece to me. He’s like a shock jock, spewing inflammatory, divisive opinion designed to get clicks.

Does aim an actually like us/MR? I kinda can’t stand his voice. Cowered has softened on us. Must be his time working w gonzo and Vick. 

Yoid have to say Collins world has the best analysis, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Minnesota was taking Lindstrom at #18 (they took Garrett Bradbury there).

To get up to #17, it wasn’t realistic unless we gave up 2nd/3rd/4th rounders and probably 2nd the following year as well.

No sir, it was #14 or Bust for Lindstrom.

I liked the way it worked out I’m bias I wanted Wilkins. I was screaming at the TV make a trade with GB to jump Miami. Everyone knew including TD Miami was taking Wilkins. 

Looking back I’m glad we didn’t we wouldn’t have been able to trade back in the 1st to grab McGary when the run on OL started. 

Im convinced if we had not traded back into the first McGary would be a Patriot today great job TD.

g-dawg, VTCrunkler and Schwarzwald like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, VTCrunkler said:

Keeping it 100. It’s just that simple. Matt was running for his life and the other two were comfortable in their pockets.  It’s about time we came to our senses and want to bolster the interior line. What a novel concept.  

Had a solid interior OLine in 2016 with Mack, Levitre and Chester. Only problem in the super bowl was Mack was playing on  broken leg.

If IF If, If Abe was healthy in 2012, good bet they win the super bowl that year, if Mack was healthy in 2016, good bet they win that one too.

Chester retired, then, Levitre tore a pec muscle and was never the same. Both starting guards were hurt early last year.

Falcons changed their philosophy this year- spending high draft picks on the Oline instead of filling empty spots with vets, but they've been working on the Oline for years.

 

Schwarzwald and VTCrunkler like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falconidae said:

Had a solid interior OLine in 2016 with Mack, Levitre and Chester. Only problem in the super bowl was Mack was playing on  broken leg.

If IF If, If Abe was healthy in 2012, good bet they win the super bowl that year, if Mack was healthy in 2016, good bet they win that one too.

Chester retired, then, Levitre tore a pec muscle and was never the same. Both starting guards were hurt early last year.

Falcons changed their philosophy this year- spending high draft picks on the Oline instead of filling empty spots with vets, but they've been working on the Oline for years.

 

^Exactly. ****, run the ball more after hitting 28 points and the injured OL limps you to the title.

I still blame Kyle for his calls and Quinn for not stepping up; instead he was so prideful his D could hold the lead if we left too much time trying to air it out. 4 runs after 28 points...I wonder how many throws?

4 hours ago, Xfactor said:

I liked the way it worked out I’m bias I wanted Wilkins. I was screaming at the TV make a trade with GB to jump Miami. Everyone knew including TD Miami was taking Wilkins. 

Looking back I’m glad we didn’t we wouldn’t have been able to trade back in the 1st to grab McGary when the run on OL started. 

Im convinced if we had not traded back into the first McGary would be a Patriot today great job TD.

One thing I know for sure is you can't be greedy in the draft like this. Every time we've moved up big in round 1 it is at a cost. We hedged our bet this draft by not trying to do too much for a DL or player that went ahead of our pick; and instead did the best possible job to overturn the OL. In that sense, the Falcons were smart and did the maximize value for doing the most in one area. It would've been much harder to pull off getting OL right if we moved up for Wilkins. Likely, that means a 3rd round RT to groom and you probably miss out on the 4th round picks that were targeted trade ups.

Really want to double down on Wilkins and leave the OL up to Carpenter (not a proven ZBS player; more of a man scheme), Brown (a limited track record), and Ty as the RT without a clear #2 ready for 2019; due to rookie drop off from the run in round 2 as you mentioned? 

That's a huge depth gamble that Falcons were not gonna go into this season with...considering we still are an offense first team and can't afford to let it derail our season as it did past 2 years (playoffs in PHI and the 5 game losing streak in 2018)...

I think they hit HRs going for Lindstrom and McGary...IF they pan out but also considering how the draft did fall. Best pure OG in the draft and best OT remaining prior to run in round 2 and like you said we got one on NE by jumping them.

Came out with more than what a move up would have cost, IMO. Entire draft would've rode on a move up for 1 DL vs 2 OL to complete OL overhaul. We weren't gonna do both this draft.

That's being smart with the extra capital we had this year. Gave up only our 3rd to get McGary but were able to target and move up TWICE in round 4 to get players we wanted.

Sheffield could become a very good corner with awareness and technique improvements. Cominsky was definitely going to be the Cowboys pick as well. All around great draft at targeting your guys and not freaking out if the board didn't fall as preferred; such as taking Lindstrom if the other picks were gone. Solved interior OL for years and just puts DL overturn on backburner for a year...hence all the 1 year contracts we have along the DL hedging the issue until draft capital goes back to DL next 2 years.

Xfactor and VTCrunkler like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, falconidae said:

Had a solid interior OLine in 2016 with Mack, Levitre and Chester. Only problem in the super bowl was Mack was playing on  broken leg.

If IF If, If Abe was healthy in 2012, good bet they win the super bowl that year, if Mack was healthy in 2016, good bet they win that one too.

Chester retired, then, Levitre tore a pec muscle and was never the same. Both starting guards were hurt early last year.

Falcons changed their philosophy this year- spending high draft picks on the Oline instead of filling empty spots with vets, but they've been working on the Oline for years.

 

Well it’s a work in progress and I bet the lack of a contingency plan last year opened their eyes on the o line. 

For real I think an injured Mack is the difference in 2016. Was Abe that big of a game difference maker in 2012?

Schwarzwald likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Well it’s a work in progress and I bet the lack of a contingency plan last year opened their eyes on the o line. 

For real I think an injured Mack is the difference in 2016. Was Abe that big of a game difference maker in 2012?

Yes, he was the only pass rush. He could have gotten to Kap a time or two, made all the difference.

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, VTCrunkler said:

Keeping it 100. It’s just that simple. Matt was running for his life and the other two were comfortable in their pockets.  It’s about time we came to our senses and want to bolster the interior line. What a novel concept.  

I watched the Dallas game highlights today. He had no time, but almost won the game. He is a bad man. I think of Larry Bird at times like this.

And dammit, they are so much alike.

Here, hold my beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now