Cole World

How Chris Lindstrom became a Falcon - Dimitroff goes in-depth on why

75 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

Fun fact: at the inaugural MBGT, we toured the Branch and they took us by a room that had names on a board they had arranged by prospects they were looking at. They asked us not to photograph it and I did. I forget the names on it, but I recall none of them actually being picks. Some form of these lists do exist. Also: I am an a-hole that almost got us kicked out of Flowery Branch. Sorry @jstammer

Duff bro! Didn’t realize you were on the flowery branch tour. Miss the board get togethers! @jstammer deserves mad credit for the opportunities and experiences he worked on for us fans. 

VTCrunkler likes this

48 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Glad we fixed that eyesore, I am fine with DL as long as we can stop the run and do decent against the pass, but this team lives and dies with MR2 and the run game.

Our fans seem to ignore that Payton and Belichick virtually always make sure Brees and Brady have a good interior OL that can anchor in pass protection and provide a legitimate pocket, yet gripe when we finally make sure Ryan also has one. 

There is a reason these 3 are called “pocket passers”. When you take pocket away Brady and Brees are terrible QBs. 

Just wait until you see Ryan with a real , consistent pocket to step up into. His accuracy will become more lethal, his ability to see entire field gets better (as opposed to running laterally for his life which can take a lot of the field away) which should allow for more big plays.

This offense is going to be spectacular.

22 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I said that last year, but........

Wait.  What?  A change has happened.

Now there is depth on the OL...Cept' for center.

Looking as good as can be.

gazoo and ATLSlobberKnockers like this

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

We very well may be #1 in scoring offense this year if we don’t struggle out of the gate the first few games. The OL should gel quickly, but it could take a couple of games. Once we get hot there won't be any offense that will be better. 

Very exciting year to be a Falcons fan!!!!

Tim Mazetti likes this

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

We very well may be #1 in scoring offense this year if we don’t struggle out of the gate the first few games. The OL should gel quickly, but it could take a couple of games. Once we get hot there won't be any offense that will be better. 

Very exciting year to be a Falcons fan!!!!

I have a feeling that the offense is going to be clicking game one. 

gazoo and Tim Mazetti like this

On 6/19/2019 at 7:50 PM, Brewcrew said:

Value wise it makes sense to take the first and best OG in the draft rather than the 4th DT if no one you really felt is a great fit is there. 

Exactly. It makes way more.sense to.draft the best in class at a position of need, than it does to take 2nd-tier talent at another. 

JDaveG, Brewcrew and Tim Mazetti like this

3 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Really hope we.don't get Ungered after this season.

Tim Mazetti likes this

5 hours ago, Osiruz said:

Glad we fixed that eyesore, I am fine with DL as long as we can stop the run and do decent against the pass, but this team lives and dies with MR2 and the run game.

Blank has made.sure we field a team that scores points since he bought. As frustrating as this defense is, nothing is.worse than an anemic offense that goes 3 and out more often than not. 

Tim Mazetti and Osiruz like this

5 hours ago, Osiruz said:

Blank has made.sure we field a team that scores points since he bought. As frustrating as this defense is, nothing is.worse than an anemic offense that goes 3 and out more often than not. 

VTCrunkler likes this

17 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Nice investigative work. Light years ahead of d leds. Was it a dummy board? Or were they that sophisticated?

It was basically a white board with names magneted (is that a word?) to it.

VTCrunkler likes this

13 hours ago, The Daywalker said:

Duff bro! Didn’t realize you were on the flowery branch tour. Miss the board get togethers! @jstammer deserves mad credit for the opportunities and experiences he worked on for us fans. 

These days the MBGT is down to me and  @Shiney_McShine. I still come down every year!

19 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

It was basically a white board with names magneted (is that a word?) to it.

Might have been the real deal then. 

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

Might have been the real deal then. 

The names had certain measurable s in them and were attached to the board by round. I remember debating a guy named MWJR here that safety we drafted , Bryan Scott,  ran a 4.46 and he kept insisting it was impossible. When we were in the war room together, Scott’s card on the board showed his 40 time at 4.46 (or whatever the actual number was) MWJR freaked out.

That  was before the 2003 season.  We got to go down on the field before the kickoff and hang out on sidelines, that was really cool too.

The draft war room was my favorite part, so cool to be in there and see that board. Also got the go in the locker room, where al,the players helmets and jerseys were

The Daywalker and VTCrunkler like this

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

The names had certain measurable s in them and were attached to the board by round. I remember debating a guy named MWJR here that safety we drafted , Bryan Scott,  ran a 4.46 and he kept insisting it was impossible. When we were in the war room together, Scott’s card on the board showed his 40 time at 4.46 (or whatever the actual number was) MWJR freaked out.

That  was before the 2003 season.  We got to go down on the field before the kickoff and hang out on sidelines, that was really cool too.

The draft war room was my favorite part, so cool to be in there and see that board. Also got the go in the locker room, where al,the players helmets and jerseys were

That sounds like it would be a great experience. Probably not available today. 

I mean that level of access is what you really want as a fan. 

I had no idea Bryan Scott was that fast either. 

gazoo likes this

On 6/19/2019 at 6:19 PM, gazoo said:

This confirms what I thought when we signed Ra’Shede Hageman one week before draft.

I speculated once we signed Hageman we were going OL with our top pick, and that it wouldn’t surprise me if we drafted 2 OL with our top 3 picks.

I had that same feeling. I admit I was still hoping we'd end up with Wilkins, but getting Shede took the pressure off doing something in the first round on defense so they could grab a top-rated guard with the first pick.

I like both Lindstrom and McGary though and look forward to seeing Matt's sacks go from 42 to maybe low twenties this season.

Tim Mazetti and gazoo like this

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

That sounds like it would be a great experience. Probably not available today. 

I mean that level of access is what you really want as a fan. 

I had no idea Bryan Scott was that fast either. 

It was an indescribable experience as a long time Falcon fan and long time draft junkie (I was a draft junkie in the 1980s long before it was cool)  to get to experience a private tour of the facility.  

I went into Dan Reeves office and saw memorabilia from his career in there including a personal note from Shannon Sharpe thanking him for his coaching. 

I went in the draft war room and saw that huge draft board with player names still on it based on rounds

went in weight training room then the locker room with all the players gear including jerseys, helmets and pads

i was with a falcons scout, can’t recall his name but I asked boatloads of questions 

then being down on field during warmups, just before kickoff was such a thrill 

That was a rare gift may never happen again 

Vandy, VTCrunkler and Atl Falcon like this

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I had that same feeling. I admit I was still hoping we'd end up with Wilkins, but getting Shede took the pressure off doing something in the first round on defense so they could grab a top-rated guard with the first pick.

I like both Lindstrom and McGary though and look forward to seeing Matt's sacks go from 42 to maybe low twenties this season.

Too many here dismissed the Hageman signing as another camp body with little realistic chance of even making final cuts.

But that signing was very telling to those of us who knew how good Hageman was playing in 2016. Some still lack the analytical ability to put different weight on his development years and his third year when he broke out late in season throughout playoffs. They conflate these two disparate periods of his career and conclude he was inconsistent. Well, he was inconsistent his first two years while he was developing, he was raw when  we drafted him., so he was inconsistent duh. 

That hard knocks episode really infected a lot of brains around here. I mean, sure, Hage was lazy and undisciplined at times his rookie season, but the inconsistencies in his play while he was developing are all blamed on laziness or inability. Crazy man. Roddy White has same issues his first two seasons but broke out year 3. Seems Roddy did pretty good once he put it all together. 

PokerSteve, Vandy and Tim Mazetti like this

35 minutes ago, gazoo said:

It was an indescribable experience as a long time Falcon fan and long time draft junkie (I was a draft junkie in the 1980s long before it was cool)  to get to experience a private tour of the facility.  

I went into Dan Reeves office and saw memorabilia from his career in there including a personal note from Shannon Sharpe thanking him for his coaching. 

I went in the draft war room and saw that huge draft board with player names still on it based on rounds

went in weight training room then the locker room with all the players gear including jerseys, helmets and pads

i was with a falcons scout, can’t recall his name but I asked boatloads of questions 

then being down on field during warmups, just before kickoff was such a thrill 

That was a rare gift may never happen again 

Dang. What an experience. Was this a type of thing open to all fans. Or did you have to pay to get in?  I can’t see that happening again.  Where were all the players?  Was this off-season or what?

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

Dang. What an experience. Was this a type of thing open to all fans. Or did you have to pay to get in?  I can’t see that happening again.  Where were all the players?  Was this off-season or what?

It was after the 2003 draft, just before start of regular season I believe. 

We were invited to the Falcon's team facility one Saturday to help them with AF.Com website content and design. They had a lot of questions for us, **** Sullivan I think was the big guy there, but Dan Levak was there too who moderated the message boards back then.

The facility was entirely empty except for us, Sullivan, Levak, and that scout. 

Tim Mazetti and VTCrunkler like this

19 hours ago, gazoo said:

Our fans seem to ignore that Payton and Belichick virtually always make sure Brees and Brady have a good interior OL that can anchor in pass protection and provide a legitimate pocket, yet gripe when we finally make sure Ryan also has one. 

There is a reason these 3 are called “pocket passers”. When you take pocket away Brady and Brees are terrible QBs. 

Just wait until you see Ryan with a real , consistent pocket to step up into. His accuracy will become more lethal, his ability to see entire field gets better (as opposed to running laterally for his life which can take a lot of the field away) which should allow for more big plays.

Gazoo, I could not agree more. I can not wait to see Matt Ryan finally stepping into his throws.  We are less likely to see a lot of high balls from him this season.  Our receivers are going to have a field day running after the catch.

15 minutes ago, gazoo said:

It was after the 2003 draft, just before start of regular season I believe. 

We were invited to the Falcon's team facility one Saturday to help them with AF.Com website content and design. They had a lot of questions for us, **** Sullivan I think was the big guy there, but Dan Levak was there too who moderated the message boards back then.

The facility was entirely empty except for us, Sullivan, Levak, and that scout. 

AF.com invited afmb peeps to tour the facility and ask for input. Wow. Stellar on their parts. Would love to see that happen again. Dopeness

gazoo likes this

On 6/21/2019 at 3:13 PM, etherdome said:

Gazoo, I could not agree more. I can not wait to see Matt Ryan finally stepping into his throws.  We are less likely to see a lot of high balls from him this season.  Our receivers are going to have a field day running after the catch.

If some could think about pinpoint passing accuracy from the standpoint of a golf swing, they might better understand this concept. 

Mechanics are really important. Step up into pocket and follow through throwing motion with your arm even after ball is out.

It was killing me to watch fans and national pundits  criticize Ryan’s mechanics in years he had terrible interior blockers, while comparing them to Brady and Brees in seasons they had outstanding interior pass protection. and a consistent pocket to step up into.  OF COURSE Ryan’s mechanics were off some of those years, he was throwing while backing up off his back feet or running laterally for his life while trying to make a play.

i, like you, believe this will be noticeable. And I also will watch his critics claim the lights are finally coming on for him, that he put in the work this offseason blah blah blah. Just wait to listen to national pundits who were always digging him magically come around this year.

what was that line, it’s the economy stupid. Well, this year it will be “It’s the pocket stupid” 

Tim Mazetti and VTCrunkler like this

On 6/20/2019 at 8:05 PM, gazoo said:

You should see Brady toss the football away to ground it so quick when he has pressure he can’t avoid. I agree 100%. If Brady or breeze did not have a clean pocket they would not be as successful. 

When Matt has that kind of time he can carve a defense up with the best of them. 

gazoo likes this