Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconsIn2012

Honeymoon Over for LaFleur?

16 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Holds onto the ball too long.  Those are Carroll’s words, not mine

That’s way too simpleton, as one could just as easily argue as does Matt.

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Holds onto the ball too long trying to make a play.  Those are Carroll’s words, not mine

Or it's because Seattle's routes go even deeper than ours. Russell averages more air yards than Ryan.

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re insinuating Wilson gets sacked a lot because he “goes outside the offense”, yet matt gets sacked a lot because he “believes in the offense”? 

RW gets sacked a lot because their o line is hot garbage and they have no running game to speak of. Seattle is wasting RW. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

That’s way too simple, as you could argue as does Matt.

Ryan doesn’t have the athleticism to break contain and try and make a play if things start breaking down.  That’s why I said it’s both a strength but also a negative at times for Wilson

4 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

RW gets sacked a lot because their o line is hot garbage and they have no running game to speak of. Seattle is wasting RW. 

Their line was good last year and they rushed for over 160 ypg.  

15 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Ryan doesn’t have the athleticism to break contain and try and make a play if things start breaking down.  That’s why I said it’s both a strength but also a negative at times for Wilson

Your the one twisting it into a negative, my friend. 

Wilson takes a lot of sacks because he’s coached to take a sack versus not throwing ball up for grabs. You said something about Carroll earlier, well Pete carroll also stresses winning turnover battle as much as any coach in NFL.

And guess which team lead league in turnover differential last year? 

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

So you don’t think Wilson holds onto the ball too long?

I think he has no choice. Their line isn't good (you might think it is but it's not).

We'll use PFF because I know you like it

RG 48.7 #69th rated guard

C 54.3 #29th Center

LG 45.7 #71 Guard

RT 55.6 #71 tackle

LT 82.3 #5 tackle

Wilson is held back by an absolutely TERRIBLE OC, way worse than any guy Ryan has ever had.  A stubborn HC in Carroll who only wants to run and pass only on third down, and one of the leagues worst lines.

Wilson holds on to the ball longer because he HAS to run out of the pocket, otherwise it's a death sentence.

13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Their line was good last year

Not quoting it as gospel because Lord knows it’s not, but PFF had Seattle’s O line ranked 18th.

edit: that ranking is probably credit to Russell Wilson for being so evasive. 

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I think he has no choice. Their line isn't good (you might think it is but it's not).

C 54.3 #29th Center

LG 45.7 #71 Guard

RT 55.6 #71 tackle

LT 82.3 #5 tackle

Wilson is held back by an absolutely TERRIBLE OC, way worse than any guy Ryan has ever had.  A stubborn HC in Carroll who only wants to run and pass only on third down, and one of the leagues worst lines.

Wilson holds on to the ball longer because he HAS to run out of the pocket, otherwise it's a death sentence.

Wilson is great.  But he has to learn to get rid of the football.  This has been an issue since his rookie season

Russell Wilson has an answer to his coach asserting he is “over-trying.”

But is he playing all that poorly?

“I’d rather be trying than not trying, huh? I guess that’s how I look at it,” the Seahawks’ quarterback said Thursday.

He was responding to coach Pete Carroll telling Seattle’s KIRO-AM radio Tuesday that Wilson was “over-trying” by extending plays that aren’t there.

“I’m finding Russ over-trying a little bit. He’s pressing in difficult situations to try to see if he can come up with a way to make something happen instead of just getting rid of the football,” Carroll told 710 ESPN Seattle on Tuesday. “But in the long yardage situation, we need to get rid of the ball and just give up on the play because it’s not happening, and not take an additional pressure.”

That was the day after Wilson got sacked six times and made two crucial turnovers in the fourth quarter of a 24-17 loss at Chicago.

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Wilson is great.  But he has to learn to get rid of the football.  This has been an issue since his rookie season

“I’d rather be trying than not trying, huh? I guess that’s how I look at it,” the Seahawks’ quarterback said Thursday.

He was responding to coach Pete Carroll telling Seattle’s KIRO-AM radio Tuesday that Wilson was “over-trying” by extending plays that aren’t there.

“I’m finding Russ over-trying a little bit. He’s pressing in difficult situations to try to see if he can come up with a way to make something happen instead of just getting rid of the football,” Carroll told 710 ESPN Seattle on Tuesday. “But in the long yardage situation, we need to get rid of the ball and just give up on the play because it’s not happening, and not take an additional pressure.”

That was the day after Wilson got sacked six times and made two crucial turnovers in the fourth quarter of a 24-17 loss at Chicago.

I'm more than fine with having a QB who believes he can make **** into gold instead of a QB who says "well this play isn't working" and gives up.

Especially one in as bad a situation as him.

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I can't take that seriously. He can't run every single play to get away from sacks. He can avoid some but not all. Those numbers just show me he'd be sacked WAY above the league average if he wasn't mobile.

35 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re insinuating Wilson gets sacked a lot because he “goes outside the offense”, yet matt gets sacked a lot because he “believes in the offense”? 

Exactly .. these Matt lovers I tell ya . He can do no wrong .  -__-

40 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I mean, come on 2012.....you basing that take off one game?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/feb/06/matt-ryan-super-bowl-li-atlanta-falcons-choke

I'm not gonna bash Rodgers too much on this one because if Ryan had more freedom at the line of scrimmage we might have a Superbowl Trophy. But you keep the **** in house. 

I crack up every time I think about Wilson and our 2016 playoff game.  There's a mic'd up video of the game and at one point, Wilson is sitting on the bench next to his OC and he says " Let me take over coach.....let me take over.."  dude looks at him and says " What does that even mean?"........ RW " I dunno, I'm just talking.":lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

C 54.3 #29th Center

LG 45.7 #71 Guard

RT 55.6 #71 tackle

LT 82.3 #5 tackle

I think you’re way off on Bevell.  He is a very, very good OC.  It’s who I wanted in Atlanta since Scangarello wasn’t a consideration.  Cable was the Seahawks problem.  But Bevell is great.  Here are his offensive DVOA rankings

2012 - 4th

2013 - 7th

2014 - 5th

2015 - 2nd

2016 - 12th

2016 - 16th

4 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Guess A-Rod doesn’t think Ryan is great in the 2-minute offense...lol 

"I don't think you want to ask me to turn off 11 years (of recognizing defenses). We have a number of check with mes and line-of-scrimmage stuff. It's just the other stuff that really not many people in this league can do. 

"That's not like a humblebrag or anything; that's just a fact. There aren't many people that can do at the line of scrimmage what I've done over the years. I mean, obviously, Tommy (Brady) can do it, no doubt. Peyton (Manning) could do it. Drew (Brees) can do it. (Patrick) Mahomes will be able to do it. Ben (Roethlisberger) has called the two-minute for years. There are a few of us who've just done it; it's kind of second nature. And that's just the icing on the cake for what I can do in this offense." 

So, to summarize: Rodgers wants to take advantage of his intelligence and experience to attack defenses, and LaFleur wants him to buy into a proven system that, because of its ambitious pre-snap activity and overall philosophy, restricts the quarterback's ability (and, theoretically, his incentive) to do so. This is not a mean-spirited staredown that will necessitate a clear winner emerging as its sole means of resolution. The situation is, however, somewhat tricky, and the way LaFleur and Rodgers navigate the terrain will go a long way toward determining whether the Pack's once-prolific attack gets back on track.

Well friggin said, that was like poetry lol