Tim Mazetti

Interesting Article On Hageman's Role On The Crowded DL.

111 posts in this topic

Ra’Shede Hageman is making his case early, but what kind of role might he have?

Hageman has always had the talent to be a key player, but there’s a lot working against him at the moment.

By Dave Choate Jun 15, 2019, 12:00pm EDT

Ra’Shede Hageman’s signing was one of the surprises of the offseason. Hageman seemed to have worn out his welcome in Atlanta after inconsistent years and particularly a domestic violence arrest, but the Falcons have been keeping tabs on the veteran defensive tackle and apparently believe he’s matured and can still contribute. They signed him knowing he’ll be suspended for the first two games and that their depth chart at defensive tackle, in particular, is among the most crowded on the roster.

It’s early yet, but Hageman is saying and doing everything he needs to in Atlanta’s eyes, including flashing some dominant stretches at OTAs and minicamp.

Here’s a notable note from Will McFadden at the mothership:

One sign of how poised Lindstrom looks is that he held his own against Ra’Shede Hageman on back-to-back plays, which wasn’t something other linemen could say. During one particular 11-on-11 period, Hageman blew his way into the backfield on consecutive plays, showing what type of disruptive force he can be at times.

The Falcons’ defensive line is far from sorting itself out at this point, but if Hageman can string together more plays like the pair he showed today, Atlanta will certainly benefit from his presence on the interior.

Before we get too excited about Hageman, though, it’s worth asking what kind of role he could actually seize upon in 2019. He has always had great stretches where he’s throwing offensive linemen around like ragdolls and crushing quarterbacks, and if he’s found any consistency at all the Falcons will gladly keep him on the roster. Actually finding playing time could be a larger challenge.

Let’s start with the suspension. The Falcons will likely use a roster spot on a position they need a little padding at while Hageman’s serving his suspension—he won’t count against the roster and can’t be with the team during those two weeks—and then they’ll make a cut when they welcome him back in Week 3. That’s no great obstacle if the Falcons think Hageman can help, as they could carry another wide receiver or cornerback as they’re wont to do, or give themselves some leeway at a position where injuries are a concern. Still, they do have to find room for Hageman when that’s over.

Once he’s back, he’s going to be joining what ought to be a crowded depth chart. The Falcons are more or less guaranteed to be carrying:

That would make Hageman the ninth or tenth guy, depending on whether the Falcons sneak on a Mike Bennett or a Chris Odom. Hageman’s opportunities to play in that group will be relatively limited because Jarrett, Crawford and Davison are all headed for major roles at defensive tackle and Takk, Beasley and Clayborn are guaranteed major roles at defensive end. He might be able to steal 10-20 snaps per game initially in that group, assuming Senat and Cominsky stay buried, but it would take stellar play and/or others faltering for him to earn more than that.

In light of that, is it worth keeping Hageman around? I’d argue that if he continues to build on his strong spring, it will be. Hageman’s always done his best work in a handful of plays at a time, and having been away from football for a couple of seasons, his most impactful role is going to be a limited-use wrecking ball in relief of other players. If he’s delivering the best possible version of himself 10-20 times per game, he could be an impactful addition to this defense, and that’s worthy of keeping around as the team’s de facto eighth or ninth defensive lineman, depending on how many looks John Cominsky gets.

We’re a long way away from knowing whether Hageman will actually even make the roster or not, but the early signs are encouraging, and it would be a good thing for the team and the player if he could work his way into the kind of role we’ve outlind above.

duckhoa, red falcon and gazoo like this

He absolutely has a place on the roster if he can keep his mind right and show flashes of domination. We won’t need more than flashes if he but just a piece on the rotation. 

But I thought we were thin at DT. Now we are crowded?

2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Lots of experienced depth at most positions except Center and CB this year. The FO has worked magic.

Interesting that this writer has Cominsky at DE, but probably a DE/DT.

11 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

He absolutely has a place on the roster if he can keep his mind right and show flashes of domination. We won’t need more than flashes if he but just a piece on the rotation. 

Thin of quality I guess

VTCrunkler and Pacific_Falcon like this

43 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

The FO did a good job of adding guys to turn the position into a strength on paper.

What will be interesting is the use of Cominsky and Hageman...should they both make the team.

Because those 2 and Crawford all have similar attributes and the ability to play inside and outside....but atleast with Hageman and Crawfords case have been better on the inside

Tim Mazetti, Vandy and VTCrunkler like this

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

If Beasley remains the same old Beasley and Takk has another season like 2018, I would hope Shede gets to eat up a lot of their snaps. If you don't put up numbers, you shouldn't be spending much time on the field with the depth we have now.

Facts

Posted (edited)

If y’all go back and look at the 2016 team NFCCG, Hageman was in rare form. I counted more than one play where he was virtually triple-teamed and was still making Rodgers move off of his spot. I have more hopes for him than Beasley. I hope both do well. 

Edited by droopy1592

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

If Beasley remains the same old Beasley and Takk has another season like 2018, I would hope Shede gets to eat up a lot of their snaps. If you don't put up numbers, you shouldn't be spending much time on the field with the depth we have now.

If that happens Stevie, we’re in big trouble.

i get your point, but Hage’s Game/responsibilities is so much different than VB/Takk’s. If Hage can get us some push up the middle, it should alllow our edge guys to rack up more sacks. 

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

If that happens Stevie, we’re in big trouble.

i get your point, but Hage’s Game/responsibilities is so much different than VB/Takk’s. If Hage can get us some push up the middle, it should alllow our edge guys to rack up more sacks. 

Hags also played some 5T/DE so that’s not completely true. 

IamFRESCO1 likes this

10 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

They experimented with him there, but he’s never played it well......

I’m perhaps the biggest Hageman fan on this board, but Come on, you guys need to come back to planet earth and be realistic on what he can and can’t do....he’s  not an edge.....

2 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Lots of experienced depth at most positions except Center and CB this year. The FO has worked magic.

Interesting that this writer has Cominsky at DE, but probably a DE/DT.

The FO indeed has worked their magic. Hats off to them. TD is good at “grocery shopping”

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

The FO did a good job of adding guys to turn the position into a strength on paper.

What will be interesting is the use of Cominsky and Hageman...should they both make the team.

Because those 2 and Crawford all have similar attributes and the ability to play inside and outside....but atleast with Hageman and Crawfords case have been better on the inside

I’m thinking we can never have too many quality D linemen to add to the rotation. That’s if they don’t go no huddle on us. 

I cant see Hageman on the outside but hey crazier things have happened.  I will be watching Cominsky. Lots of pressure or buzz surrounding this fourth round pick. 

1 hour ago, droopy1592 said:

If y’all go back and look at the 2016 team NFCCG, Hageman was in rare form. I counted more than one play where he was virtually triple-teamed and was still making Rodgers move off of his spot. I have more hopes for him than Beasley. I hope both do well. 

Was definitely  feasting 

15 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I’m thinking we can never have too many quality D linemen to add to the rotation. That’s if they don’t go no huddle on us. 

I cant see Hageman on the outside but hey crazier things have happened.  I will be watching Cominsky. Lots of pressure or buzz surrounding this fourth round pick. 

What buzz?

thamill likes this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I’m perhaps the biggest Hageman fan on this board, but Come on, you guys need to come back to planet earth and be realistic on what he can and can’t do....he’s  not an edge.....

If Hageman has a great season, he will have 3 sacks, 8 QB hits and 20 tackles.

If he can push the pocket in the middle and produce those stats it will be a best case scenario for Hegman

Vandy and duckhoa like this

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

f Hageman has a great season, he will have 3 sacks, 8 QB hits and 20 tackles.

I will take that production with his anticipated limited snaps. If he earns more than 15 snaps per game (He may only be active for only 14 games due to the suspension.) he has the potential to do much better, i.e. if he earns more snaps he will have earned them and therefor be a big surprise to some.

1 hour ago, droopy1592 said:

Hageman can line up at any position on the DL, in any set, which is a really big deal for a mastermind chess player of defense like DQ.

If we employ more 3-4 fronts, as DQ has in the past, Hageman could easily play DE. He has played 5t in a 4-3 set, but also played 1t.

As a matter of fact, if you go back to the 2016  NFCCG, Hageman was playing 1t, lines up directly over Pro Bowl alternate Green Bay Center Linsley, and Hageman flattened Lindsley, ran over him on that shoestring sack of Rodgers. 

5 hours ago, red falcon said:

Letsss goooo!!! A lot of people are sleeping on his potential.  Ive said it before but hard knocks did him no favors. Some cant shake that image. Ive seen him blow up offensive lines.

The reports from spring support that.

Most posters that have expressed doubt he’s anything more than a camp body are unable to separate Hagemans first two years which he was steep in the development curve and flashed signs of dominance while disappearing for stretches , with his 3rd season where the lights started turning on for him by mid season.

The fact is, everyone knew he was raw when he was drafted and was going to take a couple of years to develop. So why conflate his development and inconsistencies his first two years with his 3rd season when he broke out? Roddy White, Patrick Kerney and many other Falcons were inconsistent their first two seasons, then broke out year 3. 

If you break out his 3rd season you will see he started playing consistently by mid season and really exploded in the playoffs and Super Bowl. The player we resigned is not the raw rookie Hageman, or the second year steep in development Hageman. We are getting the 3rd season Hageman. This is what so many are missing as the Hard Knocks is stuck in their heads. 

21 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I will take that production with his anticipated limited snaps. If he earns more than 15 snaps per game (He may only be active for only 14 games due to the suspension.) he has the potential to do much better, i.e. if he earns more snaps he will have earned them and therefor be a big surprise to some.

I want a Super Bowl trophy, and when we hit the second half of this season with all the division games, homes stretch then playoffs, having the 2016 playoff version of Hageman is a gigantic boost. Hageman was our second best DT in 2016 playoffs. To think we got that potential at a player minimum salary is incredible. 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Him on the edge in passing situations is not ideal....but him on the edge in run situations is not a bad option