ike barn87987

I think the writing is on the wall for Tru and Rico

166 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, bird dog said:

There is a reason Alford got let go and it wasn’t because DQ didn’t draft him...

I can think of a couple of reasons he was let go outside of what you’ve mentioned.

His play fell off the cliff last year and he’s going to be 31 this year.

21 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Lol. The clowns here want last years big play defense and RB running for 90 yard TD. FS is DQ Defense depends on giving up underneath stuff and protecting big plays. Last year they got eaten underneath and big plays.

Why is it y'all act like Kazee won't improve and stop big plays?

FalconsIn2020 likes this

15 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

He may but there is no reason to risk it after the **** show last year. If there was no option put him in but I want the best player on the field. 

12 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Rico will be here as long as hes healthy and DQ is here.

Trufant has plenty to prove though

12 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Nah not really if the writing was on the wall for Trufant there’s no way in **** they resign him to an extension.

The only thing that’s stopping Tru is Tru himself under performing.Outside of that he’s a key piece in the secondary just like Rico is.As above the only thing hindering them is there performance.

As for the drafting of these other corners really you’ve got Tru out the door replaced by guys who haven’t taken one snap in the NFL.Ok then I think thats so far wrong it’s criminal.

2 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Tru played much better the second half of the season, and if DQ helps to improve the pass rush, I predict many will be shocked at how well he plays this year.

2013 was a typical TD needs-based draft.... both Tru and Alford had potential and measurables, but both were flawed (Trufant not good with INTs, Alford was 24 yrs old with Crohn's).  Coming out Trufant was not known for being a big-time INT guy, in fact Alford was better at getting INTs than Trufant. 

Trufant is the only vet we have back there.   He can still play, but is he a Pro Bowl caliber guy?  Maybe he can be with a better pass rush.  Thing is, Trufant isn't going anywhere, at least not this year, and probably not the next.  Not if the Falcons are looking to win big very soon.....

13 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Rico will be here as long as hes healthy and DQ is here.

Trufant has plenty to prove though

Perfect summary IMO.  DQ has singled out Rico for being one of the smartest players on the team.  That's high praise as it says DQ sees him as leader.  Tru I think is still respected but I think that another off year (very high-variance in 2018) and his job is likely in jeopardy.   You don't want to be an average DB knocking on 30.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

4 hours ago, No.11 said:

Point still stands though, Rico hasn't done anything to warrant the narrative that he's on the chopping block or needs to be there. 

Rico is to us what Devin McCourty is to the Patriots. Not much flash, but gets the job done and is a stabilizing factor in the defense, arguably more so than Debo.

Hes much more like Patrick Chung. Chung is BB field.general

4 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Kazee did improve tremendously.  But Rico's IQ, tackling and leadership can’t be easily replaced

Just run 3 safety sets so we get the best of all of them 

Who is a better boundary corner: Kazee or Oliver?  Kazee still wants to play corner

16 hours ago, shockerfalcon said:

Wasn't DQ the one that converted Rico to FS? I agree with Tru unless he balls out this year but DQ has always been high on Rico despite not drafting him.

Rico was initially converted to free safety under the Mike Smith regime. 

43 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Kazee did improve tremendously.  But Rico's IQ, tackling and leadership can’t be easily replaced

Just run 3 safety sets so we get the best of all of them 

Who is a better boundary corner: Kazee or Oliver?  Kazee still wants to play corner

3 safety sets means Kazee isn't on the field. He's the nickel corner now.

10 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Q didn’t draft either, but he did give each an extension. So the theory holds no water. 

He even gave an extension to Alford so I'm not sure how the OP can say that he easily gave up on him

9 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

3 safety sets means Kazee isn't on the field. He's the nickel corner now.

Not really.  Instead of the 3rd cornerback you’re using a 3rd safety. 

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Not really.  Instead of the 3rd cornerback you’re using a 3rd safety. 

Yeah and Kazee is the nickel corner. So if we run big nickel you're gonna have Wilcox or someone out there instead of Kazee.

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Yeah and Kazee is the nickel corner. So if we run big nickel you're gonna have Wilcox or someone out there instead of Kazee.

Come on man we all know the roster is fluid. If we run 3 safety sets it's not an absolute that they would actually go with the 3rd safety on the depth chart.

Heck you would find it hard pressed that the majority would say that Kazee would not be on the field in that circumstance. I think you know better than that tho.

1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Come on man we all know the roster is fluid. If we run 3 safety sets it's not an absolute that they would actually go with the 3rd safety on the depth chart.

Heck you would find it hard pressed that the majority would say that Kazee would not be on the field in that circumstance. I think you know better than that tho.

If the Nickelback is on the field then it's not big nickel man? 

Big nickel is 3 safety's, that's the only difference. So how can we run big nickel with Kazee?

17 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

First of all they weren't drafted by DQ. As we saw he easily got rid of Alford. And Tru is really not playing up to the contract he got. Oliver has already taken Alford's spot and now we draft 2 more CB's.

I know everybody talks highly of Rico, but I think he is really teaching Kazee to take his job full time. Within the next couple of years they both will be gone. If you notice the backup SS talk so far is about Wilcox. So that's covered. The backup FS spot is either Neasman or Cooper. 

But the way I see the future of our starting secondary is like this.

CB: Oliver

CB:  Miller

NB: Sheffield

FS : Kazee

SS: Neal

All of them were drafted by DQ. Your new LOB.

Here's the problem with your theory: Both Trufant and Ricardo Allen have been contract extensions since Quinn became the head coach. If Quinn didn't want them, then this decision makes no sense.

kiwifalcon likes this

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I can think of a couple of reasons he was let go outside of what you’ve mentioned.

His play fell off the cliff last year and he’s going to be 31 this year.

You could actually see this coming from the moment he signed the contract. It was extremely front loaded with the final 2 years being very small salaries. It just so happened to be right when he was 30. The team could have cut him with a low cap hit or given him an extension. Pretty smart contract by TD actually.

kiwifalcon likes this

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Here's the problem with your theory: Both Trufant and Ricardo Allen have been contract extensions since Quinn became the head coach. If Quinn didn't want them, then this decision makes no sense.

This is what everybody is missing. I'm not just saying since DQ didn't draft them, he's gonna get rid of them. I'm also talking about the level of play. Tru has dropped off a whole lot. And Kazee has shown he is more than capable of holding it down. Rico's extension was before the season started and he got hurt in September (week 3).

This is a business. They signed Alford too, but he's no longer here. MOF I think he signed before Tru. So if you can get equal or better play from another guy for lesser, it's a win for the team. Veterans get let go for cap reasons. It's still a business no matter how much a coach likes a player. I'm sure he liked Bryant too.

1 minute ago, ike barn87987 said:

This is what everybody is missing. I'm not just saying since DQ didn't draft them, he's gonna get rid of them. I'm also talking about the level of play. Tru has dropped off a whole lot. And Kazee has shown he is more than capable of holding it down. Rico's extension was before the season started and he got hurt in September (week 3).

This is a business. They signed Alford too, but he's no longer here. MOF I think he signed before Tru. So if you can get equal or better play from another guy for lesser, it's a win for the team. Veterans get let go for cap reasons. It's still a business no matter how much a coach likes a player. I'm sure he liked Bryant too.

Maybe. I only see this with Allen, but not Trufant. I'd be pretty shocked if Trufant was not on this roster for at least the next 2 seasons. 

egoprime II likes this

9 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

IMHO I don't think DQ "loves every player."

Oh no. That's actually false. He loves all of those guys. If you've ever had a coach like him or coached players, you'd agree. But he doesn't let love blind him. He can love you but see you f*ckin up and not be happy about it and if you aren't putting in the work to get it, he doesn't have the time. He's willing to give you rope, but if you hang yourself....

Knight of God and kiwifalcon like this

2 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

If the Nickelback is on the field then it's not big nickel man? 

Big nickel is 3 safety's, that's the only difference. So how can we run big nickel with Kazee?

Quinn said Kazee will play NB and safety in our 3 safety sets.  

10 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Quinn said Kazee will play NB and safety in our 3 safety sets.  

Didn't see the 3 safety set thing, link?

I’ll never understand how people don’t see Quinn loves Ricardo Allen. And oh btw he is pretty good at football.  

Makes no sense