Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
birdz4i

Julio Jones in coach mode for start of Falcons' minicamp

13 posts in this topic

CHARLES ODUM (AP Sports Writer)
Jun 11, 2019, 6:32 PM

 

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Julio Jones left his helmet inside and wore a floppy hat to the opening day of the Atlanta Falcons' three-day minicamp.

As he prepares for his ninth season, Jones was in player-coach mode on Tuesday as he made mental notes to pass on to younger teammates.

For the Falcons, the biggest news was the wide receiver reported, one year after he missed the mandatory minicamp.

Last year he had the approval of coach Dan Quinn to work on his own. Jones has continued to set his own workout pace this offseason. He missed the voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) while making sure he is healthy for training camp.

Jones, 30, called his schedule the ''same thing'' as last offseason.

 

''I'm just taking it slow,'' he said. ''A little maintenance work. Just taking it slow for me. Not really trying to jump in and get in the swing of things right now. I'm a veteran. I've been doing it for a while.''

Jones said he knows how ''to get better and be where I need to be when the season comes around.''

The difference from 2018 is Jones can be a better leader when he is in minicamp, if only as an observer.

''He is the type of player who enjoys the mentor side of it and he takes that responsibility seriously to help the group and others, not just the wide receiver group,'' Quinn said.

 

Jones' leadership role was an appropriate topic on the day his mentor, former Falcons wide receiver Roddy White, was announced as the 11th player to be inducted into the Falcons Ring of Honor. The ceremony has been planned for the Dec. 8 game against Carolina.

White, who retired after the 2015 season, was a four-time Pro Bowl selection in his 11 years with the team and a first-team All-Pro in 2010. White's franchise records for TD catches and yards receiving are being challenged by Jones.

''Roddy mentored me,'' Jones said. ''... He didn't shy away from helping me out. You've got to understand we want to win. You can't win by hiding things from younger guys.''

 

Despite frequent problems with injuries that force him to miss practice, Jones has not missed a game the past two seasons. He was in top form in 2018 , when he had 113 catches and led the NFL with 1,677 yards receiving. He had eight touchdown catches.

Jones has had at least 1,400 yards in five straight seasons. He was a first-team All-Pro pick in 2015 and 2016 and is a six-time Pro Bowl selection.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank has said he wants Jones to play his entire career in Atlanta. There are ongoing talks about a new deal for Jones, who has two years remaining on his five-year, $71.5 million contract. His 2019 base salary under his current deal is $9.6 million, far below contracts given to other top wide receivers.

 

 

NOTES: DT Grady Jarrett, OLB Vic Beasley Jr. and LB Deion Jones also did not participate in OTAs. Each reported Tuesday. Jarrett has signed his $15.209 million franchise tag and he wouldn't comment on chances he will remain in Atlanta after the 2019 season. The Falcons have until July 15 to sign Jarrett to a long-term deal. ... Quinn said that all players still recovering from injuries or, like Jones, held out on Tuesday as a precaution, are expected to be ready for training camp.

 

 

https://sports.yahoo.com/julio-jones-coach-mode-start-falcons-minicamp-223205265--nfl.html

ya_boi_j, blkbigdog35 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on paper for not wanting to extend Julio pass the current 2 years he has left on his contract, I’m on paper as liking Hopkins a bit more than Julio .. but the guy is a stud . Beyond basic fan love I could see why the majority would rather live with than without . It’s easy to forget how accomplished & consistent he is . Hopefully he can help us win “another” .. he most definitely did his part the first x around . Hopefully these idiots don’t blow his contributions again within these 2 .. again . 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, birdz4i said:
Jones has had at least 1,400 yards in five straight seasons. He was a first-team All-Pro pick in 2015 and 2016 and is a six-time Pro Bowl selection.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank has said he wants Jones to play his entire career in Atlanta. There are ongoing talks about a new deal for Jones, who has two years remaining on his five-year, $71.5 million contract. His 2019 base salary under his current deal is $9.6 million, far below contracts given to other top wide receivers.

 

 

NOTES: DT Grady Jarrett, OLB Vic Beasley Jr. and LB Deion Jones also did not participate in OTAs. Each reported Tuesday. Jarrett has signed his $15.209 million franchise tag and he wouldn't comment on chances he will remain in Atlanta after the 2019 season. The Falcons have until July 15 to sign Jarrett to a long-term deal. ... Quinn said that all players still recovering from injuries or, like Jones, held out on Tuesday as a precaution, are expected to be ready for training camp.

How has he only been All Pro twice?  That’s inexcusable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

I much prefer he keeps his body healthy, so I’m def cool with him showing up to camp in shorts and a floppy hat and coaching 

He has great value as a player-coach

NeonDeion likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I’m on paper for not wanting to extend Julio pass the current 2 years he has left on his contract, I’m on paper as liking Hopkins a bit more than Julio .. but the guy is a stud . Beyond basic fan love I could see why the majority would rather live with than without . It’s easy to forget how accomplished & consistent he is . Hopefully he can help us win “another” .. he most definitely did his part the first x around . Hopefully these idiots don’t blow his contributions again within these 2 .. again . 

I promise you if Matt could have connected with him deep all those times he had his man beat like Ben to Antonio or eli (when he was still good)  to Odell, I guarantee you he would have reached 2000 yards at least once by now. It wouldn't even be a debate who the best is. That's the only part of the Matt and Julio chemistry that has been underwhelming.  The deep ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

even though I am dealing with stuff currently. I will say this. I am thrilled he has at camp. I do not care if he is running routes, because I know he can. 

What I like is that the rookies get where Julio can help them, if need be. and I do like the idea of him being coach like, because rookies are touching the ball more and getting more eyes to adjusting them to being better.

Vandy, caponine and FalconsIn2020 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ShadyRef said:

I promise you if Matt could have connected with him deep all those times he had his man beat like Ben to Antonio or eli (when he was still good)  to Odell, I guarantee you he would have reached 2000 yards at least once by now. It wouldn't even be a debate who the best is. That's the only part of the Matt and Julio chemistry that has been underwhelming.  The deep ball. 

How about redzone efficiency.

ShadyRef likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

even though I am dealing with stuff currently. I will say this. I am thrilled he has at camp. I do not care if he is running routes, because I know he can. 

What I like is that the rookies get where Julio can help them, if need be. and I do like the idea of him being coach like, because rookies are touching the ball more and getting more eyes to adjusting them to being better.

You tell em MonsterMash...I’m glad he is there too.  

Hope you are well today, my friend

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconfreak1 said:

How about redzone efficiency.

I will also add that to it. I don't know if Julio is the problem or it's Matt's low risk style of play that prevents him from throwing decent jump balls and/or back shoulder throws to his receivers like brees and Brady often does. I really don't know. Matt and Julio's chemistry isn't as strong as the ones he had with Tony Gonzalez and Roddy. It just so happens that Julio is that much of a beast that the numbers mask it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0