Are there any BMW owners here?

Guest Regular Guy

Guest Regular Guy

I have to say that I have often liked the way BMWs look but have been scared to death concerning their reliability and maintenance costs. Do any of you have or have had a BMW? If so, what's your take on them?

Guest Regular Guy

Cool. I bought my wife an '06 Z4 Roadster and I like the looks of it and it's pretty quick but I am worried that it may end up being a turd, lol. I've already had to replace the battery due to the last guy (a broker) putting in a new battery and not "registering" it so it overcharged and spewed up acid steam in the trunk. So I bought a diagnostic tool/programmer and reset the new battery myself. I had to put new rotors and pads on the front as they say you can't turn rotors on BMWs. There's just a lot of little gremlins it seems with this car already (headlights and turn signal bulbs acting weird for example). I am already having buyer's remorse but maybe it'll be fine. It has 88k miles on it so it's not too bad. It's my first ever German car, I've always had Japanese or American.

5 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I have to say that I have often liked the way BMWs look but have been scared to death concerning their reliability and maintenance costs. Do any of you have or have had a BMW? If so, what's your take on them?

I don't currently "own" one, but I drive an M550i as part of an executive perk.  The last BMW I purchased was a 740................and I wanted to shoot that **** car!  The problem (then) was the iDrive.  Believe it or not, it would **** near render that car undrivable.  They (the dealer) dicked around on that car until they got it somewhat reliable, and I promptly sold it!  With that being said, let me give you my perspective on owning/ and leasing a BMW (or any German car for that matter):

1)  I will NEVER purchase another BMW (or ANY German vehicle or American assembled German vehicle with German parts) again.  The reason why is because they are far too complex, parts are expensive, labor at the dealer is HIGH to get them fixed (I told the story on here once before where I had a friend that **** near had a heart attack at the BMW dealer when he got the repair bill.  He traded his in for a brand new Cadillac CTS-V!!!).  

2)  If you decide to purchase a BMW (or any German vehicle), EVEN IF IT IS RELIABLE AND TREATS YOU RIGHT, GET RID OF IT BEFORE IT HITS 100K ON THE ODOMETER!!!  That is when major service is due on those vehicles (even if you've maintained it (or had the dealer maintain it)), you will not be able to get around those, and it is a crap shoot if you choose not too!

3)  Now, leasing one with a service plan, by all means please do!  You get to enjoy the vehicle in it's true essence (drive it with no worries), the dealer takes care of EVERYTHING....................and you get rid of the car before any major service is due.

Now, all new cars are computerized and overly complex, but German cars take it to another level.  Go in with your eyes open!  My $0.02!

Guest Regular Guy

Guys, read my second post, lol. I have already bought one and came hear hoping to NOT hear what I'm hearing :)

7 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

Cool. I bought my wife an '06 Z4 Roadster and I like the looks of it and it's pretty quick but I am worried that it may end up being a turd, lol. I've already had to replace the battery due to the last guy (a broker) putting in a new battery and not "registering" it so it overcharged and spewed up acid steam in the trunk. So I bought a diagnostic tool/programmer and reset the new battery myself. I had to put new rotors and pads on the front as they say you can't turn rotors on BMWs. There's just a lot of little gremlins it seems with this car already (headlights and turn signal bulbs acting weird for example). I am already having buyer's remorse but maybe it'll be fine. It has 88k miles on it so it's not too bad. It's my first ever German car, I've always had Japanese or American.

BMWs, VWs, Fiats and other euros are known as fish tanks because of water intrusion. Electrical connectors become corroded causing the gremlins you mention. If a module becomes damaged it can't just be replaced. Nor can it be programmed with a cheap aftermarket scan tool. A j2534 tool is needed in addition to going to the dealers website and paying a reprogramming fee. This includes all modern vehicles.

And then there is the issue with the direct injection engine. If you have a DI engine the intake ports have to have the carbon build up removed every 50k miles. The build up will keep the valves from closing all the way.As a result, the di engine being an interference engine, the valves will hit the pistons causing a bent valve or worse. BMW made a ton of DI engines. You are likely to have one.

Older Toyotas are the best imo. I have a Tacoma with 430k with nothing but oil changes and other general maintenance.

Guest Regular Guy
36 minutes ago, Lukas jackson said:

BMWs, VWs, Fiats and other euros are known as fish tanks because of water intrusion. Electrical connectors become corroded causing the gremlins you mention. If a module becomes damaged it can't just be replaced. Nor can it be programmed with a cheap aftermarket scan tool. A j2534 tool is needed in addition to going to the dealers website and paying a reprogramming fee. This includes all modern vehicles.

And then there is the issue with the direct injection engine. If you have a DI engine the intake ports have to have the carbon build up removed every 50k miles. The build up will keep the valves from closing all the way.As a result, the di engine being an interference engine, the valves will hit the pistons causing a bent valve or worse. BMW made a ton of DI engines. You are likely to have one.

Older Toyotas are the best imo. I have a Tacoma with 430k with nothing but oil changes and other general maintenance.

I have heard the BMW joke before, I might even have told it, lol. This is not a car I drive though, again, it's for my wife. As for DI, it's not (whew!). It's a 3.0i N52 and it's port injected. As for the light issue, it's mainly just  the outermost turn signal on the drivers side. The bulb uses a carrier and it's mounting bracket was loose and causing it to lose contact. I have it back together so we'll see how it goes. Like I said earlier, I have avoided BMWs as well as ALL German cars until now. It's a good looking car, runs like a top so we'll see how it goes.

It's a good car for women, I look like a dork in it as it's SO small and I am not, lol. It's best suited for fairly short and petite people, I.E. women. I pulled it in the garage the other day and polished it up with Topcoat F11 (love that stuff but it's pricey). It shines up nice for a 13 year old car.

1WTFxdF.jpg

2 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

I have heard the BMW joke before, I might even have told it, lol. This is not a car I drive though, again, it's for my wife. As for DI, it's not (whew!). It's a 3.0i N52 and it's port injected. As for the light issue, it's mainly just  the outermost turn signal on the drivers side. The bulb uses a carrier and it's mounting bracket was loose and causing it to lose contact. I have it back together so we'll see how it goes. Like I said earlier, I have avoided BMWs as well as ALL German cars until now. It's a good looking car, runs like a top so we'll see how it goes.

It's a good car for women, I look like a dork in it as it's SO small and I am not, lol. It's best suited for fairly short and petite people, I.E. women. I pulled it in the garage the other day and polished it up with Topcoat F11 (love that stuff but it's pricey). It shines up nice for a 13 year old car.

1WTFxdF.jpg

Good deal on the port injection. I understand the wifey thing. Always a caveat in decision making.

Guest Regular Guy
8 minutes ago, Lukas jackson said:

Good deal on the port injection. I understand the wifey thing. Always a caveat in decision making.

She drives an SUV and has been wanting a convertible to putt around in. My sister recently got a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster (same as a Mercedes SLK) and it looks sharp. Then one of my wife's friends got an old early 70s MG Midget and she just wouldn't stop talking about getting a convertible! She had been talking about also getting an old MG but those things, in good shape, bring good money so I figured if I was going to get her a relatively cheap toy, at least get something modern. That's when I started looking into Z4s. I found this one, it was a 6-speed manual (most are automatic), it had 18" wheels so I got it. Like I said though, already fearing what lies ahead, lol.

She was thinking about getting a new Jeep but I talked her out of it thank God! I wasn't going to trade in her car to get a $40-$50k Jeep. Nope! Much easier to let her keep her SUV and just buy the sunny day car and be done with it. 

If there's anything else I need to be mindful of, I'd love to hear it. I appreciate y'alls help so far ;)

2 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

She drives an SUV and has been wanting a convertible to putt around in. My sister recently got a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster (same as a Mercedes SLK) and it looks sharp. Then one of my wife's friends got an old early 70s MG Midget and she just wouldn't stop talking about getting a convertible! She had been talking about also getting an old MG but those things, in good shape, bring good money so I figured if I was going to get her a relatively cheap toy, at least get something modern. That's when I started looking into Z4s. I found this one, it was a 6-speed manual (most are automatic), it had 18" wheels so I got it. Like I said though, already fearing what lies ahead, lol.

She was thinking about getting a new Jeep but I talked her out of it thank God! I wasn't going to trade in her car to get a $40-$50k Jeep. Nope! Much easier to let her keep her SUV and just buy the sunny day car and be done with it. 

If there's anything else I need to be mindful of, I'd love to hear it. I appreciate y'alls help so far ;)

Avoiding a 50k jeep is a definite plus. Just have a reserve set aside for repairs. Maybe check out some BMW forums. Synthetic oil lives up to the hype.

Okay, that first attempt was weak sauce.  Let me try again...

You know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

On the BMW, the pricks are inside.  [Feels like Chris Farley trying to tell the “good look at a steak” joke.

Guest Regular Guy
5 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Okay, that first attempt was weak sauce.  Let me try again...

You know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

On the BMW, the pricks are inside.  [Feels like Chris Farley trying to tell the “good look at a steak” joke.

Nah, you're good. I got it the first time.

Guest Regular Guy
5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Nice looking car, sorry about the horror stories. Did you get a maintenance plan? I always buy extended plans to ease my conscience like Andrews said.

I didn't get any kind of warranty plan or maintenance plan. It was bought from a broker. I may look into something though but it's a cheap vehicle so I don't know what it would cost. Probably more than it's worth to be honest.

Guest Regular Guy
4 hours ago, lostone said:

I don’t buy German vehicles.  I would only consider the i8 because it’s sexy.  But I can’t afford it so nope.

too much for maintenance... friend of mine’s wife bent the front a little

6k turned to 24k turned to totaling the car.  TF is that ish?!

japanese cars ftw!

I agree with you on the Japanese cars. I've had good luck out of Honda, Toyota, Scion and Acura. Nissan....not so much.

2 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I agree with you on the Japanese cars. I've have good luck out of Honda, Toyota, Scion and Acura. Nissan....not so much.

I'm still hoping to steer my wife to a Honda or Toyota when we trade my Accord in to get her a SUV.  I'll take her Camry then, it's only for 73K miles and is a 2011. 

Guest Regular Guy
1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

I'm still hoping to steer my wife to a Honda or Toyota when we trade my Accord in to get her a SUV.  I'll take her Camry then, it's only for 73K miles and is a 2011. 

Can't go wrong with either. That is good mileage for a 2011. The Z4 I just got is 13 years old with 88,000 so that's something good going for it I guess, lol. My brother's GF just bought a 2014 Acura RDX with 102,000 on it. That's about average these days though I think.

1 minute ago, Regular Guy said:

Can't go wrong with either. That is good mileage for a 2011. The Z4 I just got is 13 years old with 88,000 so that's something good going for it I guess, lol. My brother's GF just bought a 2014 Acura RDX with 102,000 on it. That's about average these days though I think.

She likes GMC Accadia's :barf:

Guest Regular Guy
17 minutes ago, lostone said:

We have a QX30... don’t say that!!

Lol. I'm sure you'll be fine.  Cars are built better these days. I bought my wife a Nissan Pulsar NX. It looked cool but it was a flaming piece of poop! It blew a motor.

29417660001_large.jpg