Was Marquand Manuel to blame for poor play from Vic and Takk?

Link

Was Marquand Manuel to blame for poor play from Vic Beasley and Takk McKinley?

We have been trying to figure out the problem with the pass rush. Dan Quinn blames coaching.

By Matthew Chambers  Jun 9, 2019, 3:00pm EDT

1088206368.jpg.0.jpgPhoto by Julio Aguilar/Getty Images

2017 provided plenty of reasons for optimism. After an unforgettable 2016 (for good and very bad), Dan Quinn avoided a predicted down season in part to a dramatically improving defense. Unquestionably one of the team’s best defenses in the last two decades, the young players could only get better.

Then they didn’t. Injuries were a big problem, but multiple players fell flat in 2018. When the Falcons needed someone to step up, most of the defense disappeared. The most worrisome problem has been the frustratingly inconsistent play from the team’s highly drafted pass rushers Vic Beasley and Takkarist McKinley.

The two first-round selections combined for an embarrassing 12 total sacks. Both players looked about the same as 2017, with Beasley obviously only a shell of himself since his 2016 season where he lead the league in sacks. 

There is clearly a lot of blame to go around. Dan Quinn spoke to Jeff Schultz of The Athletic about defensive coaching and clearly placed a lot of blame on Marquand Manuel and Bryant Young

As Quinn tells it, he churned through game film looking for problems. We know how that turned out as most top coaches, including Manuel, Steve Sarkisian, and Keith Armstrong are no longer with the team.

Manuel was a former defensive back turned defensive back coach turned national embarrassment turned defensive coordinator. He got some great performances out of the secondary, but struggled to replace players lost to injury, never developed players like Duke Riley, and most problematic, failed to get results from top defensive line talent. He remains unemployed.

Bryant Young, the defensive line coach, stepped down after the season for family reasons. Young, similar to Manuel, was short of pro coaching experience when given the position.

Quinn’s quote can lead to this question: is Marquand to blame for Beasley and McKinley’s unimpressive seasons? Beasley’s 2016 was likely not repeatable, but we should not have seen such a significant drop off from a player with such outstanding athleticism. McKinley looked ready to take a big step after an impressive rookie season but looked like the same player.

Quinn admits there were a lot of schematic and coaching issues that resulted in the weak defensive line play. He must truly believe that, as defensive line additions were limited to signing Adrian Clayborn late in free agency and dropping a fourth-round pick on John Cominsky. Clearly, the defensive line was not at the top of team needs heading into the offseason.

How much did Manuel and Young slow down development for Beasley and McKinley? That’s a question we obviously don’t have an answer for. Quinn will focus on both players to get the defense back on track. The talent is there to turn them into a premium duo. Whether or not that happens in 2019 will probably determine Quinn’s future employment with the Falcons.

1 minute ago, quotemokc said:

Last year it felt like every time the defence was playing well the offence couldn't score and when the offence was scoring the defence couldn't get a stop...

If our depleted defense played as well in Weeks 2-8 as it did in Week 9-17, we make the playoffs

MM was not the best DC in  the league but he was good. He was in over his head when the injuries of key players stacked up and the FO couldn't stop the bleeding. He is a DQ guy who they made a scapegoat, you know how TD does because he has an open door to the Daddy ( AB) To blame Vic and Taak on MM is not fair. VB just doesn't have that dawg in him although he is an athlete. Taak I think will take us on a rollercoaster ride. Sometimes he will be a beast and sometimes he will be average.

Quinn literally looked at every snap over the off-season and he clearly felt Young and Manuel did not put these players in the best position to succeed.

I don't know personally, but I do know sometimes you have to shake things up at the top. clear the negativity and establish a new attitude no matter where the blame might lay.

I'm glad he cleaned house and started over, especially his decision to be the DC. I feel better with the changes than I would've felt if we had stood pat going into the season.

37 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

MM was not the best DC in  the league but he was good. He was in over his head when the injuries of key players stacked up and the FO couldn't stop the bleeding. He is a DQ guy who they made a scapegoat, you know how TD does because he has an open door to the Daddy ( AB) To blame Vic and Taak on MM is not fair. VB just doesn't have that dawg in him although he is an athlete. Taak I think will take us on a rollercoaster ride. Sometimes he will be a beast and sometimes he will be average.

Give them a 5 hour energy before each game.  They will find that dawg! They might be more likely to jump offsides though. Lol

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

No.  Before the middle of his defense went on IR, the Falcons under MM had never lost a single game when the offense scored over 19 points

Players like Foye, Kazee & Oliver all made vast improvement under Manuel

We still should have put out a better defense than we did. No excuse for the poor play of Beasley especially, plus Alf, McClain, Richards, Riley et al all played like rookies.

Quinn can blame manual and young all he wants, he was the head coach who was hired to fix the defense. 4 years in, he still hasn’t. 

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I was disgusted with our defense during the Saints and Ravens game. They ran over us at will. It was embarrassing. Especially the Ravens. 

That Ravens game was always going to be ugly.  Their front 3 would beat us up again this year.  Hopefully the offense would make a better showing.

Speaking of Ravens, did anyone see they are installing a new offensive system and didn’t bother telling Lamar.  He is upset and completely lost atm

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

That Ravens game was always going to be ugly.  Their front 3 would beat us up again this year.  Hopefully the offense would make a better showing.

Speaking of Ravens, did anyone see they are installing a new offensive system and didn’t bother telling Lamar.  He is upset and completely lost atm

I think I would rather play the Patriots than the Ravens. Lol 

Manuel was like a guy he coached last year. D. Campbell. 

Both were always quality to above average at their jobs. Both underappreciated. Both forced into situations where they had to adjust and compensate for a rash of injuries and lack of chemistry. They both underperformed last year for nearly the same reasons. What i will say is that both struggled to adapt. Who wouldnt? I work on a team of Cyber Security experts. If 2 guys are down I have to compensate with limited knowledge of their specific task. Its rough. 

Manuel and Campbell are both replaceable but still very good starting/leading guys. I just think Quinn saw himself as an upgrade at DC. He is. I cant blame Manuel because their is not a defense out there that could lose what we lost and be good. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We still should have put out a better defense than we did. 

Quinn can blame manual and young all he wants, he was the head coach who was hired to fix the defense. 4 years in, he still hasn’t. 

No doubt.  

The injuries overwhelmed the young DC.  But he did prove capable with a semi healthy roster.    But those weeks 2-7 were simply unacceptable.