Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beef

Roster Analysis

43 minutes ago, Beef said:

Maybe this is just me, but I'm still seeing Collins and Vooch doing mostly different things.

Vooch is setting screens/picks (because he's 7'0 260 and a brick wall), and then most of the time stepping out and staying on the perimeter, and much less often streaking inside and receiving a pass/alley oop.  Even in your link above he's rarely streaking inside the paint off the pick.

Collins, on the other hand, isn't even always the screener, but Dedmon or Len will screen off Trae's defender while Collins streaks inside to receive the pass.  And even when Collins is the screener, he still mostly streaks inside off the pick rather than stepping outside.

So again, the reason I really like Vooch is because he's doesn't have to go inside off the pick.  He can step out and be a second pick and roll option for Trae because he's a better/very good perimeter shooter.

Having two options on the pick and roll is better than ONLY having Collins, who's almost always gonna be heading inside off the pick.  At some point, teams are going to collapse another defender on him every time because he's the only option, and he's going to start picking up offensive charging fouls... UNLESS Trae has a second OPEN option to go to.  And a Center who can step outside and nail 17-25 footers is a golden ticket.

But is all of that worth 30 million? I still think having Vuc do exclusively that is limiting his overall abilities, but I do get where yall are coming from. Ive always thought itd work, but at what cost? 

Dedmon for half price, or say another Brook Lopez for 3 million could do all the same things. Or shoot, Omari Spellman wouldnt be terrible in this either/or role with Collins. 

1 minute ago, WOR said:

But is all of that worth 30 million? I still think having Vuc do exclusively that is limiting his overall abilities, but I do get where yall are coming from. Ive always thought itd work, but at what cost? 

Dedmon for half price, or say another Brook Lopez for 3 million could do all the same things. Or shoot, Omari Spellman wouldnt be terrible in this either/or role with Collins. 

Yeah that's where I agreed earlier.  The money could be better spent elsewhere.

This is also why I'm interested in guys like Fernando, Claxton, and Kabengele in the draft.  They can all pass, dribble, shoot, shoot 3's, and rebound with efficiency.

At some point, however, we gotta learn how to defend too.  Can't win a championship simply trying to score 120+ every game.

14 minutes ago, Beef said:

Yeah that's where I agreed earlier.  The money could be better spent elsewhere.

This is also why I'm interested in guys like Fernando, Claxton, and Kabengele in the draft.  They can all pass, dribble, shoot, shoot 3's, and rebound with efficiency.

At some point, however, we gotta learn how to defend too.  Can't win a championship simply trying to score 120+ every game.

That's why I'm super high on Claxton. He's a freak who can defend all over the place. 

Just for the record, Kabengele can't pass. But everything else is good. His assist numbers for his entire career are something strange lol

11 minutes ago, WOR said:

That's why I'm super high on Claxton. He's a freak who can defend all over the place. 

Just for the record, Kabengele can't pass. But everything else is good. His assist numbers for his entire career are something strange lol

Kabengele reminds me of Ibaka.  Not a bad comp considering defense and rebounding which he excelled at with the Seminoles.  He also has some range from 3.  Could be a good developmental piece.

23 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Kabengele reminds me of Ibaka.  Not a bad comp considering defense and rebounding which he excelled at with the Seminoles.  He also has some range from 3.  Could be a good developmental piece.

This guy has a strange history as of late NBA mock draft.net likes him A LOT, BUT..... why?

Or put in a better way why that high think they have him going to us at 10 hilarious enough.

1 hour ago, WOR said:

And Hawks have shown ZERO interest in him, right?

38 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

This guy has a strange history as of late NBA mock draft.net likes him A LOT, BUT..... why?

Or put in a better way why that high think they have him going to us at 10 hilarious enough.

Yeah I have seen him mocked here too.  Watched him play at Fla St.  and he was basically a six man but lead them in scoring sometimes.  He’s definitely not a lottery pick though!

On 6/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, WOR said:

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2019/04/13/breaking-down-vucevic-ball-screens-and-how-to-defend-them/

Again, Im not saying he cant do those things, Im saying his offensive profile is rather similar to what Collins' does in this offense. Theyre redundant. When youve got two redundancies, at a certain point youre limiting both of them, at least IMO. Just chilling one of those guys around the perimeter at all times, really limits what they do best. Just watch Gordon in these clips. Is that what you want Vuc or Collins doing 50% of the time? Theyre both very good players who can dominate in their roles. 

But like you said, he costs too much anyway. 

Yeah bro Vooch aint no Dedmon. Trust me. We blew our max guy when we took on Crabbe but could still sign him if we go into the lux tax. To me Vooch and AD are our best options at center over the next three years. In free agency and the draft.

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yeah bro Vooch aint no Dedmon. Trust me. We blew our max guy when we took on Crabbe but could still sign him if we go into the lux tax. To me Vooch and AD are our best options at center over the next three years. In free agency and the draft.

You can't 'go into the luxury tax' to sign a free agent. You have to have 'open capspace' to sign a FA.

They only way a team gets into the luxury tax is by paying their own players since you can exceed the cap to resign them.

Oh...and Vooch is not a player you go into luxury tax for.

Here's my roster analysis:

• Need a small forward, center and back up point guard. In that order
  • Only acquire players that can shoot, slash and play defense. Long guys
  • Don't forget that draft, free agency and trades are all open avenues. Use them
  • Our defense, shooting, turnovers and defensive rebounding need to get fixed now
  • Last five championship teams had top five offenses and defenses. We were 12th and 30th