jayu70

Taurean Prince Traded to Nets

105 posts in this topic

Pretty much kills a max free agent signing in 2019. Unless we want to pay the luxury tax. Bye bye Vooch :(. Gives us more trade chips though. We now have three firsts and three seconds to work with in two weeks. Plus we have potentially three firsts and two seconds in next year's draft. Expect Schlenk to be wheeling and dealing on draft night.

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Pretty much kills a max free agent signing in 2019. Unless we want to pay the luxury tax. Bye bye Vooch :(. Gives us more trade chips though. We now have three firsts and three seconds to work with in two weeks. Plus we have potentially three firsts and two seconds in next year's draft. Expect Schlenk to be wheeling and dealing on draft night.

Schlenk isn't making moves now for max players now.  He knows it is too soon.   Gathering assets.

22 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Schlenk isn't making moves now for max players now.  He knows it is too soon.   Gathering assets.

This is the year to sign a max free agent. If we pass, I would probably use all the first round picks this year and next, then sign the max guy in 2021. The 2020 free agent class is weak outside of AD.

Drew4719 likes this

Great deal for both the Hawks and Nets because they  are hunting a couple of max contracts.  According to ESPN, "  

Boston guard Kyrie Irving -- who is expected to become a free agent -- and Brooklyn have a strong mutual interest, league sources told ESPN. The Nets have $46 million in salary-cap space to sign two maximum-contract free agents, which would include Brooklyn's dream scenario of luring Irving and Golden State's Kevin Durant to the franchise, league sources said.

The Knicks are pursuing the same partnership, but league sources say that Irving's interest in the Nets has increased and Brooklyn has emerged as a serious contender to attract Irving. The Nets could keep restricted free agent guard D'Angelo Russell on a max -- or near-max -- deal to play with a free-agent star too." 

It should be a very interesting month of June.

2 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Good deal.

I think we combine #10 and #17 to move up. Keep #8

There has to be a wing they really want now after moving TP!

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

This is the year to sign a max free agent. If we pass, I would probably use all the first round picks this year and next, then sign the max guy in 2021. The 2020 free agent class is weak outside of AD.

I think its too early.  I am afraid we would end up with another team good enough to make the playoffs, but exit early.

Edited by wuskillzz

12 minutes ago, wuskillzz said:

Do the Hawks keep Crabbe?

Buy out potential. He's an expiring along with Baze and Plumlee in 2020.

1 minute ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Nets are in win now mode!!

If Kyrie goes there, what do they do with Russell?  I thought he had a really good year for them.  

Just now, wuskillzz said:

If Kyrie goes there, what do they do with Russell?  I thought he had a really good year for them.  

I think they want to keep him onboard as well with a near max deal.  They are going hard at KD and Kyrie though!

58 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

you are wrong.

this could be the master plan.

Hawks for 2019 now have #8, #10, #17 and three 2nd round picks.

Hawks for 2020 now have their 1st rd pick, Cavs pick(is it still a 1st next year?), Nets pick (top 14 protected) plus 2nd round pick or picks.

This is my guess for now as to what happens - for 2019:

1) Hawks trade #8 and #17 to Cavs - so on draft night Cavs select Jarrett Culver who conveys to Hawks.

2) Hawks trade back from #10 into the late teens or 20's and get another 1st round pick back in the deal for 2020 - say Top 14 protected.

3) Hawks take a Big Man with the pick in late teens/early 20's.

Now for 2020 - Hawks potentially have FOUR 1st round picks - theirs, Cavs(? - from earlier/not 2019), Nets(top 14 protected) and from the team that we trade down from #10.

Also in 2020 - Hawks have expired out contracts on Baze, Plumlee, Len and Crabbe - leaving us with gobs of money and draft picks for 2020 or defer to 2021.   Now, the Hawks can keep finagling it in 2020 or 2021 to decide when to cash in for a superstar - all while adding other young assets in the draft.

wuskillzz, Drew4719, jayu70 and 3 others like this

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

About what?

see my example above on what I think the Hawks are doing - you are playing checkers while Schlenk is playing three dimensional chess.  It's not about 2019 per se - it's about trying to setup the Hawks to peak when other teams like Golden State are dipping.   It's about having tons of draft assets and cap space in 2020/2021 seasons when Collins/Trae are peaking.  All of these superstars in the game now keep opting out every other year anyway.

Signing 1-2 very good - not superstar great -- free agents now just locks you into that #4-8 seed mediocrity that Hawks were in for two decades.   

No.11 likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

One of these 1st rounders will be traded for future assets, right?

Unless we moving way up

Travis said he liked being able to “take a lot of swings” with draft/trades, etc. - that is exactly what he is setting up.   The willingness to be patient in the re-build is gonna help this team a lot.

Schlenk knows what he is doing. Smart dude even if he does look like Daddy Warbucks from “Annie”.

jayu70 and No.11 like this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

One of these 1st rounders will be traded for future assets, right?

Unless we moving way up

I think both maybe.  We have THREE.