Falconsfan567

Future Bowl Agreements Announced

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

Who said they HAD to pick a team with two losses?  Furthermore, the committee would rather take a 2 loss team that played a monster schedule vs a team that played a weak schedule.  Thats one of the reasons Georgia is loading up their schedule. More money and more pull with the voters on strength of schedule.

Some of not most years have several two loss teams in the top 8.  

1 minute ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

Some of not most years have several two loss teams in the top 8.  

As long as its strength of schedule it shouldn't matter.  Now, opening up to 8 teams would ALLOW a undefeated non power conference team to get into the mix.  

9 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

As long as its strength of schedule it shouldn't matter.  Now, opening up to 8 teams would ALLOW a undefeated non power conference team to get into the mix.  

But it does matter.  If you can’t make it through your regular season schedule with only one blemish or less you don’t deserve a shot at being the champ.  Who cares who they lose to.  How many two loss teams have been named champ before?  LSU in a fluke year.  That’s it unless you go back several decades.

Just now, Porter Osborne Jr said:

But it does matter.  If you can’t make it through your regular season schedule with only one blemish or less you don’t deserve a shot at being the champ.  Who cares who they lose to.  How many two loss teams have been named champ before?  LSU in a fluke year.  That’s it unless you go back several decades.

Didn't I agree with you by saying that a undefeated non power conference team should be able to get in with 8 teams?  A 4 team playoff has proven to not let them get into the playoffs.  Who cares if a two loss team gets in as long as a undefeated team gets a chance in a 8 team playoff?

4 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Didn't I agree with you by saying that a undefeated non power conference team should be able to get in with 8 teams?  A 4 team playoff has proven to not let them get into the playoffs.  Who cares if a two loss team gets in as long as a undefeated team gets a chance in a 8 team playoff?

If an undefeated team has the resume to get they will get in.

fibonaccisquared likes this

44 minutes ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

If an undefeated team has the resume to get they will get in.

This. Just going undefeated is not sufficient to deserve a chance. I'd rather see a two loss team with a legitimate schedule in than an undefeated G5 school who didn't attempt to improve their schedule knowing full well that their conference schedule would be insufficient on its own. Ultimately, probably neither should get in, but there's a much better case to be made for a team that at least plays legitimate competition. 

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

On 6/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, Carter said:

It's all fun and games until Jeremy Pruitt is in Vegas for a week with coeds.

Good point haha. I'd be there in Vegas too, although I doubt many coeds would have any interest in me.

Carter likes this

3 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

This. Just going undefeated is not sufficient to deserve a chance. I'd rather see a two loss team with a legitimate schedule in than an undefeated G5 school who didn't attempt to improve their schedule knowing full well that their conference schedule would be insufficient on its own. Ultimately, probably neither should get in, but there's a much better case to be made for a team that at least plays legitimate competition. 

Everyone likes to make fun of UCF, but having watched them play, they were a legit team a couple years ago and deserved a shot to play for the national championship IMO.

28 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Everyone likes to make fun of UCF, but having watched them play, they were a legit team a couple years ago and deserved a shot to play for the national championship IMO.

They weren't one of the top 4 teams 

fibonaccisquared likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Which year did they deserve a shot and who should have been left out in their place. If you look back a couple of posts, you'll see that I didn't bold them as a team that was undeserving IMO in an expanded playoff format... 

With that said, it was in their control to schedule better teams and they didn't.. because they didn't know how good they would be at that point (they were rebuilding). It's the unfortunate reality as a G5 school. 

Just now, fibonaccisquared said:

Which year did they deserve a shot and who should have been left out in their place. If you look back a couple of posts, you'll see that I didn't bold them as a team that was undeserving IMO in an expanded playoff format... 

With that said, it was in their control to schedule better teams and they didn't.. because they didn't know how good they would be at that point (they were rebuilding). It's the unfortunate reality as a G5 school. 

They should have been given a shot in a 6 team playoff. Hard to put them in the top 4 though. Also believe that one of their games against Georgia Tech got cancelled and they never got to make it up. I know Georgia Tech hasn't been good, but at least it's a power 5 school.

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

They should have been given a shot in a 6 team playoff. Hard to put them in the top 4 though. Also believe that one of their games against Georgia Tech got cancelled and they never got to make it up. I know Georgia Tech hasn't been good, but at least it's a power 5 school.

The Ga Tech game, even if they had played it, wouldn't have changed their Strength of Schedule though... just playing any (bottom tier) P5 team is not the same as scheduling legitimate competition to offset a poor conference schedule. The funny thing is they originally had Texas on the schedule for that game but UCF elected to pull out of that game only one year before it was scheduled to happen... had they left that game on the schedule for September of 2017, they would have played it, *likely* won because Texas was still on the overrated side in 2017 and the have been somewhat known of late for dropping inexplicable early season games (see: Maryland)...

So in essence, the only reason they didn't get a shot was due to their own desire to weaken their schedule. Since then, they've been offered a 2-1 with Florida that they refused. I just don't have a lot of sympathy for their "plight" when it's entirely self induced.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this