Falconsfan567

Future Bowl Agreements Announced

38 posts in this topic

The SEC and Big Ten has agreed to a shared bowl agreement with the Las Vegas Bowl and the Belk Bowl. Starting in 2020 when the Raiders new stadium is expected to open the Big Ten will face off against the Pac-12 in the Las Vegas bowl in odd numbered years and the SEC against the Pac-12 in even numbered years. In the opposite years the Big Ten and SEC will rotate between the Las Vegas Bowl and the Belk Bowl. The Las Vegas bowl replaces the Holiday Bowl on the Big Ten's bowl schedule.

The Big Ten also replaces the ACC in the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit against the MAC. Big Ten also agreed to a new bowl tie-in with the Cheez-It Bowl in Phoenix. They will no long send teams to the First Responders and Armed Forces Bowls in Texas.

The SEC agreed to a new bowl deal with the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa, replacing the Independence Bowl. The SEC has 10 bowl tie-ins for the current agreement which runs from 2020-2025.

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The SEC and Big Ten has agreed to a shared bowl agreement with the Las Vegas Bowl and the Belk Bowl. Starting in 2020 when the Raiders new stadium is expected to open the Big Ten will face off against the Pac-12 in the Las Vegas bowl in odd numbered years and the SEC against the Pac-12 in even numbered years. In the opposite years the Big Ten and SEC will rotate between the Las Vegas Bowl and the Belk Bowl. The Las Vegas bowl replaces the Holiday Bowl on the Big Ten's bowl schedule.

The Big Ten also replaces the ACC in the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit against the MAC. Big Ten also agreed to a new bowl tie-in with the Cheez-It Bowl in Phoenix. They will no long send teams to the First Responders and Armed Forces Bowls in Texas.

The SEC agreed to a new bowl deal with the Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa, replacing the Independence Bowl. The SEC has 10 bowl tie-ins for the current agreement which runs from 2020-2025.

Link

How many Florida bowl tie ins is that for the SEC now then? By my count:

Citrus
Outback
TaxSlayer
Gasparilla

Seems like we could expand our footprint a little better? But maybe they like sending the kids to generally good weather?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want more bowls.  i think it's great for the players to be able to enjoy it.. they put a lot of work into representing the university..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

How many Florida bowl tie ins is that for the SEC now then? By my count:

Citrus
Outback
TaxSlayer
Gasparilla

Seems like we could expand our footprint a little better? But maybe they like sending the kids to generally good weather?

Well they are expanding it with the Las Vegas bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

I want more bowls.  i think it's great for the players to be able to enjoy it.. they put a lot of work into representing the university..  

Same here!! I love bowls!! The more the merrier!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, SacFalcFan said:

I want more bowls.  i think it's great for the players to be able to enjoy it.. they put a lot of work into representing the university..  

What if there are enought bowl-eligible teams at the end of the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, interstate40 said:

What if there are enought bowl-eligible teams at the end of the season?

We do what we've seen in the past where 5-7 teams get to play in a bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

We do what we've seen in the past where 5-7 teams get to play in a bowl.

Then it'll be 4-8 teams, and then 3-9 teams, and so on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Then it'll be 4-8 teams, and then 3-9 teams, and so on

Who cares? I've never heard anyone say "there's too much football to watch. We have too many games. I want less football to watch."

SacFalcFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Who cares? I've never heard anyone say "there's too much football to watch. We have too many games. I want less football to watch."

Then bowl games are pointless, and aren't a reward for doing anything

Everyone should just get a bowl game?

It's this kind of thinking that's why people are worried they'll make the playoff 16 teams after 8

Which btw is a terrible idea also (making it more than 8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Then bowl games are pointless, and aren't a reward for doing anything

Everyone should just get a bowl game?

It's this kind of thinking that's why people are worried they'll make the playoff 16 teams after 8

Which btw is a terrible idea also (making it more than 8)

Bowl games are already pointless!! The only bowl games that matter are the few big ones. The rest are pointless. It's been like that long before the playoff ever came to be. You think I'm proud that Auburn can call themselves 2015 Birmingham Bowl Champions? No. It doesn't mean jack****. It's just a meaningless game. So what we beat Memphis in a bowl game? Nobody cares about something like that. If it's not a major bowl game that actually means something then it really doesn't matter. I just want to see more football. **** I watch preseason football. Football is football. I'll never want less football.

eddiesauto likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Bowl games are already pointless!! The only bowl games that matter are the few big ones. The rest are pointless. It's been like that long before the playoff ever came to be. You think I'm proud that Auburn can call themselves 2015 Birmingham Bowl Champions? No. It doesn't mean jack****. It's just a meaningless game. So what we beat Memphis in a bowl game? Nobody cares about something like that. If it's not a major bowl game that actually means something then it really doesn't matter. I just want to see more football. **** I watch preseason football. Football is football. I'll never want less football.

Don't try to tell me you would actually watch every bowl game if every single college team had one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worse the teams, the worse the games

A lot of these games are already unbearable to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

Don't try to tell me you would actually watch every bowl game if every single college team had one

No I wouldn't only because it's impossible to watch every game. But I watch as many as I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

The worse the teams, the worse the games

A lot of these games are already unbearable to watch

I've never once thought of a football game as being unbearable to watch. Baseball games? Yes. But never a football game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 9:25 PM, VA F.O. said:

It's this kind of thinking that's why people are worried they'll make the playoff 16 teams after 8

Which btw is a terrible idea also (making it more than 8)

Frankly, if they're going to expand the playoffs, the absolute most I would be on board with personally is 6... It gives a legitimate benefit to the teams who wrap the season as #1 and #2. And I think the 3-6 and 4-5 games should be played on campus at the higher rated team's stadium. It's rare for there to be more than 3 teams that are truly "deserving" of that shot at a national championship based on the totality of the season. If you expand too far beyond that, you're really just redefining what a national champ is... do well enough to finish in the top 10ish and then get hot late (or get optimal matchups). 

8 is unnecessary. Take a look when you get a chance at the last several year's top 8 final CFP rankings

2018:

5   University of Georgia 11-2
6   Ohio State University 12-1
7   University of Michigan 10-2
8   University of Central Florida 12-0

2017:

5   Ohio State University 11-2
6   University of Wisconsin 12-1
7   Auburn University 10-3
8   University of Southern California 11-2

2016:

5   Penn State University 11-2
6   University of Michigan 10-2
7   University of Oklahoma 10-2
8   University of Wisconsin 10-3

2015:

5   University of Iowa 12-1
6   Stanford University 11-2
7   Ohio State University 11-1
8   University of Notre Dame 10-2

2014:

5   Baylor University 11-1
6   Texas Christian University 11-1
7   Mississippi State University 10-2
8   Michigan State University 10-2

 

I don't see any scenario where the teams I bolded really had a season deserving of a shot at the national championship. Frankly, could maybe even bold UGA last season. If the LSU game had not been so poorly contested, I'd have felt better about how much we deserved to be in the mix. UCF is questionable... if they hadn't lost their starting QB, they might have been higher on the list than 8th, and I for one would have been ok with giving them a shot after 2 back to back seasons like that. Maybe not "deserving" given the lack of effort to schedule better quality opponents, but at least there was a case to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Frankly, if they're going to expand the playoffs, the absolute most I would be on board with personally is 6... It gives a legitimate benefit to the teams who wrap the season as #1 and #2. And I think the 3-6 and 4-5 games should be played on campus at the higher rated team's stadium. It's rare for there to be more than 3 teams that are truly "deserving" of that shot at a national championship based on the totality of the season. If you expand too far beyond that, you're really just redefining what a national champ is... do well enough to finish in the top 10ish and then get hot late (or get optimal matchups). 

8 is unnecessary. Take a look when you get a chance at the last several year's top 8 final CFP rankings

2018:

5   University of Georgia 11-2
6   Ohio State University 12-1
7   University of Michigan 10-2
8   University of Central Florida 12-0

2017:

5   Ohio State University 11-2
6   University of Wisconsin 12-1
7   Auburn University 10-3
8   University of Southern California 11-2

2016:

5   Penn State University 11-2
6   University of Michigan 10-2
7   University of Oklahoma 10-2
8   University of Wisconsin 10-3

2015:

5   University of Iowa 12-1
6   Stanford University 11-2
7   Ohio State University 11-1
8   University of Notre Dame 10-2

2014:

5   Baylor University 11-1
6   Texas Christian University 11-1
7   Mississippi State University 10-2
8   Michigan State University 10-2

 

I don't see any scenario where the teams I bolded really had a season deserving of a shot at the national championship. Frankly, could maybe even bold UGA last season. If the LSU game had not been so poorly contested, I'd have felt better about how much we deserved to be in the mix. UCF is questionable... if they hadn't lost their starting QB, they might have been higher on the list than 8th, and I for one would have been ok with giving them a shot after 2 back to back seasons like that. Maybe not "deserving" given the lack of effort to schedule better quality opponents, but at least there was a case to be made.

I agree with this!!! Good points!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 will never happen, never

It overcomplicates things. We're not doing a bye week, and you should forget about that.

It'll be multiples of 2. 8 divides to 4 divides to 2, simple

The NFL only does bye weeks because they can't get the NFLPA to approve enough teams and/or postseason weeks, and so they settle with a non multiple of 2 format

The NCAA isn't going to complicate things like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

They will go to eight teams once they figure out how to keep the major bowls happy...

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

They will go to eight teams once they figure out how to keep the major bowls happy...

I hope not.  If you lose two regular season games then you don’t deserve a shot in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

The NCAA isn't going to complicate things like that

The same organization that decided play in games at different seeding locations in the basketball tournament was simple? Nah, they have no history of overcomplicating things. :lol: 

Don't get me wrong. I agree it likely *won't* happen... It doesn't change that I feel that it would be the most appropriate way of ensuring only teams that actually deserve a shot get in... 

I'm fine with it at 4, but I just think that the P5 conferences who are getting left out are going to band together and get the G5 schools to vote with them for some kind of change - though it likely will come with caveats of giving deference to conference championships, or some kind of auto P5 and top G5 conference champs qualifier... Who knows. Anything to prevent multiples from the SEC (or ACC in the event that someone pulls themselves off the trash heap to catch up to Clemson in that conference).

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

I hope not.  If you lose two regular season games then you don’t deserve a shot in the playoffs.

Who said they HAD to pick a team with two losses?  Furthermore, the committee would rather take a 2 loss team that played a monster schedule vs a team that played a weak schedule.  Thats one of the reasons Georgia is loading up their schedule. More money and more pull with the voters on strength of schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

I hope not.  If you lose two regular season games then you don’t deserve a shot in the playoffs.

Things are simply too political right now. The major conferences are raising **** over their conference winner not getting in over a team that didn't win their conference. 

Outside of situations where the conference winner has an awful record, 8 teams assures that all major conference champs get in, plus a few other deserving teams. After that, they can prove if they belong on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now