• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FalconsIn2012

Offseason Grade For All 32 Teams

Thoughts

Grade: B-

The 2018 Falcons finished seventh on offense, 31st on defense and 16th on special teams in ESPN's expected points-based efficiency rankings. They responded by firing all three coordinators before loading up on offensive linemen in both free agency and the draft.

"They did a lot for their offensive line, but I feel like they are exposed at running back and corner, and their pass rush is a concern," an evaluator said. "Maybe they think [fourth-round pick] John Cominsky can be a Tyrone Crawfordtype or an Adrian Clayborn from their Super Bowl team."

Beyond the $15.2 million franchise tag for defensive tackle Grady Jarrett, the Falcons' three largest commitments of guaranteed money went to guard Jamon Brown ($12.75 million), guard James Carpenter ($9.3 million) and tackle Ty Sambrailo ($6 million). They then used first-round picks for guard Chris Lindstrom and tackle Kaleb McGary, who one evaluator thought would become the best lineman from the 2019 draft.

"What blew me away was, Jamon Brown got $6 million a year," an evaluator said. "He lost the starting job with the Rams, got cut, went to the Giants, played poorly and got that kind of money?"

Dirk Koetter's return as offensive coordinator went over well.

"I think [Devonta] Freeman will have a big year with Dirk," an exec said. "He fits the mold of Maurice Jones-Drew and even Doug Martin, who had big years playing for Dirk. The question is, can he stay healthy? Losing Tevin Coleman to a relatively modest deal had to hurt."

25 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

Did Brown play poorly for New York?  All of the Giants fans I spoke to said the line got instantly better when he was in.  

The stats would say no.  6 penalties, 4 sacks allowed and 16 QB pressures in 6 games.

But fans thought he played well.  I didn’t watch so have no clue

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The stats would say no.  6 penalties, 4 sacks allowed and 16 QB pressures in 6 games.

Hmmm...  Yeah, I didn’t watch any NY games either.  He’s certainly the biggest question mark on the line, but being between Mack and Matthews is a lot different than whatever trash they were rolling out in NY last year.  Hopefully between him and Carpenter one of them will shine bright.

They shored up the weakest unit of the entire team, with two very highly ranked offensive lineman. Plus they got some exciting looking players in rounds 4 through 7.

You can't just transform a team in one single draft, and I think the Falcons did pretty darn good top to bottom.

Just now, octoslash said:

They shored up the weakest unit of the entire team, with two very highly ranked offensive lineman. Plus they got some exciting looking players in rounds 4 through 7.

You can't just transform a team in one single draft, and I think the Falcons did pretty darn good top to bottom.

I think Quinn better hope he has.

This says it all:

"The 2018 Falcons finished seventh on offense, 31st on defense and 16th on special teams in ESPN's expected points-based efficiency rankings. They responded by firing all three coordinators before loading up on offensive linemen in both free agency and the draft.

What blew me away was, Jamon Brown got $6 million a year," an evaluator said. "He lost the starting job with the Rams, got cut, went to the Giants, played poorly and got that kind of money?"

I disagree. Out of the free agents we signed this offseason I like Jamon Brown the most. FTR, he did not lose his job with the Rams for poor play (got suspended and Blythe came in and took advantage). 

Brown was one of 3 players that OBJ rewarded with gold chains (the other 2 being Barkley and Sheppard) for their play. If he played poorly I doubt OBJ would have gotten him anything. The gold necklace that Brown currently wears with the #68 is courtesy of OBJ.

8 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Somewhere in the Roanoke area. Their last names are Bibby. They are pastors of a church. I was suppose to come there for Christmas,  but only made it to Virginia Beach to visit my niece. 

Man I don’t actually live here, but my duty is here. If you are anywhere in the area let me know

12 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Ok dang. Never mind. I thought you might have been in the Stanford area. Carry on!  It’s too bad we never met.  I lived in Roanoke for 9 years. 

Smith Mountain Lake, never knew there were so many falcons fans around here.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

How can you put that information out there without letting posters here know Brown was signed by Giants mid season, became an immediate starter without ever playing a snap in that scheme or with any of those offensive lineman?

The entire giants offensive line was terrible BEFORE he came, so he got tossed into the middle of a dumpster fire. Of course he made a high number of mistakes at first, no OL walks into the hot mess mid season without making mistakes.

It would have been like us signing him mid season last year at RG if Mack had gone down and we moved Garland to Center, smack dab in middle of a dumpster fire of all OL except Mathews, then complaining because he was making mistakes as he learned our offense on the fly.

He had 2 penalties his entire rookie season, and only 3 penalties his second season.