Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

2019 Las Vegas Summer League

266 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, red2play said:

Jaylen Adams had a -29 , shot 25% and 0 for 6 3pters.  Jordan Sibert had a shooting percentage of 8.3.  Spellman hit 2 out of 3 3pters and Hunter went for 1 of 3 3pters.

https://www.nba.com/games/20190707/MINATL#/boxscore

Aain, it's obvious what was going on. BTW Adams had 1 assist in 31 min.

He was coming off of an injury. It must have affected him. He never looked remotely this bad last year including summer league. 

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'm more worried about Pierce saying he didn't install a defensive system last year. If true, WTF? 

Not exactly what he said/meant.

More....

Beef likes this

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'm more worried about Pierce saying he didn't install a defensive system last year. If true, WTF? 

It's nothing to be concerned about. Last year was about finding out what we have and forging an identity. New coach, new [rookie] players, new system. Take it one step at a time. Coach Pierce is a defense guy. I have no doubt he will get that side of the ball up to par. 

blkbigdog35, Beef and atljbo like this

5 hours ago, Beef said:

That’s not what CLP said.  He said they “didn’t really ask them to focus on defense last year”.  Or something similar to that.

The way you’re saying it makes it sound like they didn’t even coach the concept of defense, which is ridiculous.

Asking a team to not focus on defense would be equally as ridiculous. Must have been a TATH mistranslation. Surely he didn't say that either. 

1 hour ago, No.11 said:

It's nothing to be concerned about. Last year was about finding out what we have and forging an identity. New coach, new [rookie] players, new system. Take it one step at a time. Coach Pierce is a defense guy. I have no doubt he will get that side of the ball up to par. 

I hope so. My guess is the last five Championship teams were top five in both offense and defense. We were like 12th and 30th.

34 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Asking a team to not focus on defense would be equally as ridiculous. Must have been a TATH mistranslation. Surely he didn't say that either. 

Well, there's a reason you're on a message board and not coaching rookies in the NBA, I guess.

Maybe since it was 1000% clear we weren't going to play for a championship with a team full of rookies, they created an actual plan for acclimation that they, as professionals, think is most suitable for learning and progressing in the game.  Like prioritizing the building of chemistry first, then maybe learning the offensive scheme which focused on dribbling, passing, and shooting, and then after they've honed all of those things, they planned to shift the focus towards defense.  A step-ladder of sorts rather than bombard them with everything all at once, which could logically stunt/slow the development and capacity to progress in them all.  This is actually sort of the definition of "Focus".

And I have some shocking news for you... we're not going to play for a championship this year either.

There's 3 more new rookies and 5 new teammates that everyone has to build chemistry with and learn the offensive and defensive systems.

If you're actually whining and playing "second-guessing the coaching" armchair games because you're not getting some instant-gratification, then that's a big YOU issue.

Good grief, you can be so astoundingly unreasonable sometimes, it's just incredibly bizarre.

GEORGIAfan likes this

That game last nigh was probably the worst summer league performance of all time by the Hawks. They have a good excuse,  Hunter and Fernando being thrown in with zero practice so this is not the end of the world. The so called point guards last night provided no leadership, hoping we pick up a solid backup PG.

6 hours ago, Beef said:

Well, there's a reason you're on a message board and not coaching rookies in the NBA, I guess.

Maybe since it was 1000% clear we weren't going to play for a championship with a team full of rookies, they created an actual plan for acclimation that they, as professionals, think is most suitable for learning and progressing in the game.  Like prioritizing the building of chemistry first, then maybe learning the offensive scheme which focused on dribbling, passing, and shooting, and then after they've honed all of those things, they planned to shift the focus towards defense.  A step-ladder of sorts rather than bombard them with everything all at once, which could logically stunt/slow the development and capacity to progress in them all.  This is actually sort of the definition of "Focus".

And I have some shocking news for you... we're not going to play for a championship this year either.

There's 3 more new rookies and 5 new teammates that everyone has to build chemistry with and learn the offensive and defensive systems.

If you're actually whining and playing "second-guessing the coaching" armchair games because you're not getting some instant-gratification, then that's a big YOU issue.

Good grief, you can be so astoundingly unreasonable sometimes, it's just incredibly bizarre.

Nott install a defensive system for an NBA team?

I don't care what stage of a rebuild you're in that's incredibly bizarre.

12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Nott install a defensive system for an NBA team?

I don't care what stage of a rebuild you're in that's incredibly bizarre.

Welp sounds like you've made up your mind that our organization sucks then.

So we'll be expecting you to find another team to watch?

2 hours ago, Beef said:

Welp sounds like you've made up your mind that our organization sucks then.

So we'll be expecting you to find another team to watch?

Naw bro. I'm dug in on Georgia teams. High school, college and pro. All sports. 

I really aint goin nowhere. You of all people should know that. Come on man.

As for the Hawks, I love what Schlenk is doing. Jury still out on Pierce though.

If he doesn't improve our record THIS YEAR I will likely start to sour on him.

I'll be here till I die or the Mods ban me. Sorry man. Way too late for me to change.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Coby White.  Just sayin.

Some  of y’all thought I was crazy for saying he should go #2.  He will finish top-2 in ROY if he cuts down on his TO’s.! His handle and range is uncommon and what today’s NBA is all about.  He and Trae would have been fun to watch.  Still glad we have Hunter, though

Hayes, Hachimura & Carson Rdwards also looked great

Interesting info on my 2nd round crush Carson Edwards.  I didn’t know he had a 6 foot 6 wingspan and disruptive on the ball defender:

“Celtics assistant coach Kara Lawson noted that while Edwards is just 6-foot-0, he has a 6-foot-6 wingspan, which -- combined with his sturdy frame -- makes him a headache as an on-ball defender.

Edwards’ defense has been so good, the Celtics have had trouble practicing their Summer-League offense.

“We know he’s fearless from watching him play in college, but it’s hard to see the toughness on TV,” Celtics Summer League coach Scott Morrison said after Saturday’s win. “He’s getting into bodies and taking teams out of their offense. He’s taken us out of our offense all week in practice when he’s been on defense, and I thought he did a good job again tonight just really disrupting their flow and making it tough for them to move the ball where they wanted to.”

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

He was unbelievably good.  The best game of his life probably.

Take a close look at where the defenders head is in the still frame above.  Laughably athletic...

Still super excited about Hunter, Reddish & Bruno.  Reddish in particular could make this an A+ draft

But White, Hayes and Carson Edwards could have been interesting too

atljbo and FalconFanSince1970 like this

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Coby White.  Just sayin.

Some  of y’all thought I was crazy for saying he should go #2.  He will finish top-2 in ROY if he cuts down on his TO’s.! His handle and range is uncommon and what today’s NBA is all about.  He and Trae would have been fun to watch.  Still glad we have Hunter, though

Hayes, Hachimura & Carson Rdwards also looked great

Coby white ball handling is awkward as ****..glad we didn’t draft him Hunter was the right choice.

43 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Coby white ball handling is awkward as ****..glad we didn’t draft him Hunter was the right choice.

He is a shooting guard. He dribbles a tad high and it’s exaggerated, but he is under control.  This is just good stuff.  The 1:18 mark is dope

Macknsweetjones likes this

7 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

I must have missed something Cam Reddish not playing in summer league?

Remember he had a core injury and was only 2 weeks into recovery when he was drafted.  Has 2-4 more weeks left I think.

Zone#7 and FalconsIn2020 like this

Another slow start. Horrendous passing and shooting. Jalen Adams is turrible.

Charlie Brown, McCall and Bruno lookin good. Charlie Brown's hair though.

15 minutes ago, Beef said:

Remember he had a core injury and was only 2 weeks into recovery when he was drafted.  Has 2-4 more weeks left I think.

He could dominate here and regain some of his confidence.  When you always have the ball in your hands in high school, it’s tough to learn playing without the ball.  But he has the best skillset of anyone drafted.  The highest ceiling without question.  So excited for this young man