oztin

Draft Night

115 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Theres definitely a new regime in town. Two college bats

I love it!! Been begging for college bats forever!!

Braves pick at 60:

Beau Philip

Bats: R
Class: 4YR JR
Height: 6' 0
Pick Value: $1.16m
Throws: R
DOB: 10/23/98
Weight: 190

Oregon State needed a shortstop to replace Cadyn Grenier, now with the Baltimore Orioles. So the Beavers went back to the Sacramento, Calif., area, a region that had brought them standouts like Nick Madrigal and Andrew Susac in the past, to find Philip, a junior college transfer from San Joaquin Junior College. Philip has had a solid season as Oregon State's leadoff hitter, though a hamstring injury kept him off the field for a stretch this spring. With a strong and sturdy build, Philip is an athletic shortstop who should be able to stay at the position. He has good hands and more than enough arm for the spot and his speed, which also gives him some basestealing ability and helps him in terms of range. At the plate, he's shown the ability to make hard contact with good bat speed. He has gap power to all fields and can drive the ball very well the opposite way. While his hamstring issue slowed him temporarily, he was back to full strength as the Draft approached. Getting looks at him healthy as the Beavers hit postseason play could be important for his Draft stock as missing time hurt him as a JUCO transfer without a long track record. His combination of tools at a premium position could be a very nice find in the top six rounds.

Posted (edited)

Crazy. We picked 3 college position players so far. 2 from the same position (SS).

Are we so stacked with pitchers that this is really how we’re drafting this year?

Dansby is finally proving he’s legit, and is probably only going to get better over the next 4-5 years.

So what’s the deal with drafting 2 SS’s with our top 3 picks?

Edited by Beef

34 minutes ago, Beef said:

Crazy. We picked 3 college position players so far. 2 from the same position (SS).

Are we so stacked with pitchers that this is really how we’re drafting this year?

Dansby is finally proving he’s legit, and is probably only going to get better over the next 4-5 years.

backup or future trade bait.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Black Francis said:

I get it but it’s not the same thing. Most of these pics takes time. Baseball is unlike any sport in that regard. Golf too actually but not as much. 

I know. Im talking about the presentation of the athletes.  Baseball is soo stodgy and " above " swag that the casual fan doesn't care about it at the same level as the nba or nfl.  Its not me saying it, its baseball's attendance and tv ratings saying it.

On top of that, the best athletes are steered to football and basketball.  When i was young, the best athletes still played baseball along with football and basketball.  Its not that way anymore. You still have some good athletes playing baseball,  but its not like it once was...

Edited by slickgadawg

7 hours ago, Beef said:

Those SS are athletes the Braves view as utility players. They'll be moved around to a few spots. Chipper Jones was drafted as a SS for example. It's a new regime making their mark. Last year Anthopolous kept Coppys people running the draft. This year he replaced all those guys. We're seeing his philosophy come through right now.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

8 hours ago, jidady said:

When you hear SS, translate it to "can play anywhere but catcher".

This.

Shewmake at 6'4 isn't going to stick at SS. They're going to put weight on him and move him to the OF. His hit tool with another 25-30lbs behind it is intriguing.

ATLBrave and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, Ransack said:

This.

Shewmake at 6'4 isn't going to stick at SS. They're going to put weight on him and move him to the OF. His hit tool with another 25-30lbs behind it is intriguing.

I'd be curious to see if he could be a fit in CF, or at least play it in a pinch (a la Acuna). Kid is definitely athletic, so it may not be a stretch.

20 hours ago, jidady said:

Consider the source, but Keith Law says that it's the worst talent pool he's seen in his career. I'd read something similar a few months ago, which is why I haven't paid much attention. It figures that this is the year that we have two first round picks. 

Maybe we don’t sign either this year and we get 3 next year...lol

jidady likes this

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

I'd be curious to see if he could be a fit in CF, or at least play it in a pinch (a la Acuna). Kid is definitely athletic, so it may not be a stretch.

FWIW, I read a lot of scouting reports overnight. The consensus is that CF might be his natural position in the majors. In looking at what was said of him, it did sound like Ender at 6'4". Are there any current CFers that size? None sprang to mind. I remember Judge set a record when he played CF at 6'7".

ATLBrave likes this

17 hours ago, Ransack said:

Love this pick! Great defensive catcher who is a great receiver and whose bat is coming around. We also need catching badly so this guy will rocket up.

Looks like a steal for us

Pick: C Shea Langeliers, Baylor 

A broken hamate bone in his left hand threw a wrench into Langeliers' draft season. When healthy, he showed a nice right-handed swing with power potential, and he is arguably the best defensive catcher in Division I. The injury lowered his draft stock and makes him a potential steal. Langeliers would be the clear cut No. 1 catcher in most non-Rutschman draft classes. Atlanta received this pick as compensation for failing to sign 2018 first rounder Carter Stewart.

jidady likes this

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I live about 7 miles from Mt Paran.

You over by Sprayberry then.  I wonder if their football team still blows azzz.  The only quality player they ever produced when I lived in the area was Marlon Byrd.  He would have been a solid NFL running back.  But he wisely opted for an MLB career.  Much better football player, though

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You over by Sprayberry then.  I wonder if their football team still blows azzz.  The only quality player they ever produced when I lived in the area was Marlon Byrd.  He would have been a solid NFL running back.  But he wisely opted for an MLB career.  Much better football player, though

nope - closer to Harrison HS - I have two kids at Harrison.  Live near Mars Hill Rd - Brookstone.

15 minutes ago, jidady said:

FWIW, I read a lot of scouting reports overnight. The consensus is that CF might be his natural position in the majors. In looking at what was said of him, it did sound like Ender at 6'4". Are there any current CFers that size? None sprang to mind. I remember Judge set a record when he played CF at 6'7".

Uhh, maybe Jake Marisnick? I know Bellinger is around that height as well, but don't know if he is in CF anymore. I'm pretty sure a lot of other guys are around 6'1 - 6'2 though.

10 minutes ago, jidady said:

Here's what I could find on big centerfielders.

• Mike Trout = 6'2, 235
  • George Springer = 6'3, 215
  • Dexter Fowler = 6'5, 195
  • Mitch Haniger = 6'2, 215 (Primarily RF for the M's but has started 19 games in CF this year.)
  • David Dahl = 6'2, 195
  • Lorenzo Cain = 6'2, 205
  • Wil Myers = 6'3, 205
ATL Fan in the DMV and jidady like this

22 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Apparently Harris could make it to MLB as an OF or pitcher. Braves drafted him as a pitcher but he has a good bat seems like.

Hey my old High school

SexualChocolate likes this

"Only a sophomore, the Texas native stands in at 6’3” and 220 pounds. He came to the Aggies via the JUCO route and has been very good as the closer this season. In 29.2 innings he has a 2.73 ERA, 1.25 WHIP. and 12 saves in 26 appearances. Kalich has also struck out 47 batters against 11 walks, while racking up a 14.3 K/9 rate.

Kalich is a definite reliever, but he has stuff to profile well, featuring a fastball up to 98 and a slider that can get swings and misses. He could move fast in this role and profiles as a safe, solid middle reliever."