oztin

Draft Night

115 posts in this topic

Just now, jidady said:

We took Shea Langeliers, a catcher from Baylor.

We'd been connected with him with our second pick for a while. And then he had an NCAA tournament.

He's got a decent bat and a big glove who should make the majors quickly. This is my kind of pick.

Love this pick! Great defensive catcher who is a great receiver and whose bat is coming around. We also need catching badly so this guy will rocket up.

Just now, capologist said:

Is Langoliers a better prospect than Contreras?

I'm pretty sure K26 would say no. What I'll say is that the best thing that a team can do is have two talented players battle it out for one spot. It's why I've always been fundamentally against our ceding spots in the rotation to kids who hadn't earned it. 

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

We took Shea Langeliers, a catcher from Baylor.

We'd been connected with him with our second pick for a while. And then he had an NCAA tournament stud performance.

He's got a decent bat and a big glove who should make the majors quickly. This is my kind of pick.

All the pitching in our system and a catcher to come up with them.  I like it.  

g-dawg and RING OF HONOR like this

With the Braves deep lineup they can afford a defense first catcher. We need someone to manage the pitching staff more than we need a Realmuto bat at the position. 

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

With the Braves deep lineup they can afford a defense first catcher. We need someone to manage the pitching staff more than we need a Realmuto bat at the position. 

And just to be clear, he just hit three homers in an elimination game on Saturday. He may be both.

18 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm pretty sure K26 would say no. What I'll say is that the best thing that a team can do is have two talented players battle it out for one spot. It's why I've always been fundamentally against our ceding spots in the rotation to kids who hadn't earned it. 

I think Contreras is going to be legit for this organization but agree numbers are important. We don’t know anything yet but I’m excited about Contreras bat coming around. He’s got the DNA. 

jidady and RING OF HONOR like this

24 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

yawn... no wonder folks don't pay attention to baseball.  No flair at the draft, no nothing. Its ok for purist baseball fans but the casual fan didn't even know there WAS a draft tonight...

I get it but it’s not the same thing. Most of these pics takes time. Baseball is unlike any sport in that regard. Golf too actually but not as much. 

g-dawg likes this

14 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

True but managing a staff is not light lifting as you know. It’s literally the job. 

Reality is that you need two solid catchers and McCann/Flowers aren't getting younger so it definitely makes sense...

g-dawg likes this

11 minutes ago, capologist said:

Reality is that you need two solid catchers and McCann/Flowers aren't getting younger so it definitely makes sense...

Yep. After pitching it’s literally the most important position. 

25 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Some analysts are saying they didn't expect Langeliers to go that high in the draft, but it appears to be a great pick by the Braves because they drafted a need at catcher and they drafted a player they should be able to sign. If they can't sign him, then they will lose that compensation pick entirely.

I wonder if we go after a strong relief or closer type that's closer to being MLB ready

We took Braden Shewmake, a SS from Texas A&M.

Yes, we took two position players.

Yes, we took two college players.

Malachore likes this

31 minutes ago, Ransack said:

HAHA They are quoting me on MLB network in regards to Rutledge

How are they quoting you?

ESPN analysis:

"9. Atlanta Braves: Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor

Who is Langeliers? The second-best catching prospect in this draft, Langeliers is another prospect who, like Rutschman, should move quickly and stay behind the plate. The Baylor backstop suffered a broken hamate bone early in the season, but kept his stock up by performing well after returning to the field.

Why the Braves took him here: As the compensation pick for not signing Carter Stewart last year, Atlanta is getting a player who would be the top catching prospect in most drafts. Is Langeliers going to challenge Rutschman as a hitter? No. But a strong defensive catcher with some offensive ability still carries plenty of value. -- Mullen

21. Atlanta Braves: Braden Shewmake, SS/3B, Texas A&M

Who is Shewmake? A contact hitter in the power-strikeout era, Shewmake hit over .300 in all three of his years at Texas A&M and struck out just 27 times in 241 at-bats this season. At 6-foot-4, he's a tall shortstop who could end up at second, third or moving around the diamond.

Why the Braves took him here: Have we mentioned that college hitters are the strength of this draft? Shewmake proved himself in the tough SEC and is a safe bet to produce with his hit tool. There isn't a lot of power here, but Atlanta added a second high-floor player after landing Shea Langeliers at No. 9 -- Mullen"