oztin

Draft Night

115 posts in this topic

I haven't really seen too much on here about the draft or prospects that we are looking at, it could be in another thread and I just missed it. So who do y'all have for us picking tonight

What pick are we?

2 hours ago, oztin said:

I haven't really seen too much on here about the draft or prospects that we are looking at, it could be in another thread and I just missed it. So who do y'all have for us picking tonight

What pick are we?

26 minutes ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

What pick are we?

What pick are we?

We have pick 9 and 21.

The 9th pick is for failing to sign our first round pick last year (pick 8).

The 21st pick is our normal pick.

It's going to be interesting to see what the new guys approach is. I'd imagine we'll see a few more college guys than a typical Brian Bridges draft.

I have seen two mock drafts so far and both have us taking 20yr old JUCO(San Jacinto College) RHP Jackson Rutledge at #9 overall (2nd pitcher taken).  6'8" with three "swing/miss" out pitches.  That sounds enticing.

Fastball: 95-96mph

Slider: 85-87mph

Curve: 79-81mph

Falcons In 2012 and oztin like this

35 minutes ago, Ransack said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the new guys approach is. I'd imagine we'll see a few more college guys than a typical Brian Bridges draft.

yeah, that is what I've read that Braves may take college players in 1st round this year.   Gotta believe at this point in the organization life cycle at the Major League Club level that Braves Mgmt. wants players that can get to the big leagues faster.

34 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I have seen two mock drafts so far and both have us taking 20yr old JUCO(San Jacinto College) RHP Jackson Rutledge at #9 overall (2nd pitcher taken).  6'8" with three "swing/miss" out pitches.  That sounds enticing.

Fastball: 95-96mph

Slider: 85-87mph

Curve: 79-81mph

Rutledge is interesting. He has "quiet" and reproducible mechanics that produce big radar numbers but he backside hand mechanics are very odd for a pitcher. He draws a small "c" with his ball hand much like a catcher does rather than the large "C" like most pitchers are taught. It will probably be something they will change at the next level and I'm not sure how that will effect his production and health when they start altering his mechanics. If they opt to not change that part of his mechanics I'd look for him to be a bullpen arm in MLB. Not sure he'll make it as a starter throwing like that.

16 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Rutledge is interesting. He has "quiet" and reproducible mechanics that produce big radar numbers but he backside hand mechanics are very odd for a pitcher. He draws a small "c" with his ball hand much like a catcher does rather than the large "C" like most pitchers are taught. It will probably be something they will change at the next level and I'm not sure how that will effect his production and health when they start altering his mechanics. If they opt to not change that part of his mechanics I'd look for him to be a bullpen arm in MLB. Not sure he'll make it as a starter throwing like that.

Why would you change something that is working and someone with “reproduceable” mechanics?

Looks to me like he throws easy gas as well.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Why would you change something that is working and someone with “reproduceable” mechanics?

Looks to me like he throws easy gas as well.

Throwing like that puts more pressure on your shoulder. Elongating the throwing motion reduces that pressure on the shoulder and also hides the ball better.

4 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Throwing like that puts more pressure on your shoulder. Elongating the throwing motion reduces that pressure on the shoulder and also hides the ball better.

I am not as much of a throwing mechanics officiado as you I guess.

Throwing motion looks fine to me. Is this your own observation or some scouting report you read somewhere on him?

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am not as much of a throwing mechanics officiado as you I guess.

Throwing motion looks fine to me. Is this your own observation or some scouting report you read somewhere on him?

It's my own observation. I was a catcher for for 10 years, worked with a former Minor League Pitcher of the year in the Braves organization (shoulder problems ended his career), and I've caught for somewhere close to 100 D1 pitchers and 10 guys who have pitched in the majors.

TheTrue7, g-dawg, jidady and 1 other like this

Consider the source, but Keith Law says that it's the worst talent pool he's seen in his career. I'd read something similar a few months ago, which is why I haven't paid much attention. It figures that this is the year that we have two first round picks. 

9 minutes ago, Ransack said:

It's my own observation. I was a catcher for for 10 years, worked with a former Minor League Pitcher of the year in the Braves organization (shoulder problems ended his career), and I've caught for somewhere close to 100 D1 pitchers and 10 guys who have pitched in the majors.

How old are you?

5 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

How old are you?

I'm 36 now. Watching McCann shuffle around the bases these days reminds me of how old I am.

1 minute ago, Ransack said:

I'm 36 now. Watching McCann shuffle around the bases these days reminds me of how old I am.

High school in Georgia?

19 minutes ago, Ransack said:

“Your honor, we accept this witness as an expert in his field.”

yawn... no wonder folks don't pay attention to baseball.  No flair at the draft, no nothing. Its ok for purist baseball fans but the casual fan didn't even know there WAS a draft tonight...

capologist likes this

We took Shea Langeliers, a catcher from Baylor.

We'd been connected with him with our second pick for a while. And then he had an NCAA tournament stud performance.

He's got a decent bat and a big glove who should make the majors quickly. This is my kind of pick.

capologist likes this

1 minute ago, jidady said:

We took Shea Langoliers, a catcher from Baylor.

We'd been connected with him with our second pick for a while. And then he had an NCAA tournament.

He's got a decent bat and a big glove who should make the majors quickly. This is my kind of pick.

Could be with the braves team in 3 yrs from now.