Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

Predict Our Record: Without Ryan

Record With Schaub as QB in 2019  

94 members have voted

1. 1. If Schaub Was Forced To Start, Guess our Record 2019

2. 2. How Many Wins With Schaub Last Year, 2018

No run game, less mobility than Ryan, and the same defense of 2018?

We barely win 2 games.

2019 if the D does better and the run game/OL come together?

Schaub in his current form might let you win 5 or 6 games. You’d have to get to Championship caliber D levels to do anything more.

Ryan gives same 2019 team a 5 or 6 game boost. So, if 2019 could be a 6 win year best case scenario with Schaub; then Matt puts you into the 12+ win category.

At his best and in his prime, Schaub would still be a drop off to Ryan by a bit, but the hoped for improvement to 2019 D and OL/run game might buy you some wins in spite of the large drop that exists now. Winnable with Schaub but doubtful a playoff team.

Stranger things happen tho.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

We barely win 2 games.

Schaub in his current form might let you win 5 or 6 games. You’d have to get to Championship caliber D levels to do anything more.

Ryan gives same 2019 team a 5 or 6 game boost. So, if 2019 could be a 6 win year best case scenario with Schaub; then Matt puts you into the 12+ win category.

At his best and in his prime, Schaub would still be a drop off to Ryan by a bit, but the hoped for improvement to 2019 D and OL/run game might by you some wins in spite of the large drop that exists now. Winnable with Schaub but doubtful a playoff team.

Pretty much exactly my thought process

2 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

9-7.  I have them 11-5 with Ryan.  Schaub will not have to carry that team, they are LOADED on offense and the defense is gonna be improved...   Even Schaub can complete screen passes and thats what Koetter is gonna do...

I could definitely see that happening if everyone else stayed healthy....Koetter would adjust the offense to put the new QB in a position to succeed. Look what it did with Ryan Fitzpatrick last year, and Tampa didn’t have near the talent on offense Atlanta has.

16 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We have better rosters, but let’s continue.  Joey Harrison, DG...

Bro we threw three back ups at em that year and still went 4-12. When we rolled with Leftwich I put a piece of tape over the back of my Vick jersey and marked in LeftVick. People in the Dome loved it.

5 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

We barely win 2 games.

At his best and in his prime, Schaub would still be a drop off to Ryan by a bit, but the hoped for improvement to 2019 D and OL/run game might by you some wins in spite of the large drop that exists now. Winnable with Schaub but doubtful a playoff team.

I disagree with that because you’re doing the same thing @Falconsin2012 is doing. You’re assuming we run the exact same game plan you run with Matt for Matt. You don’t. You switch it up. I don’t think Matt is a 5 or 6 game difference either. I think 3 games. If we were GB when Rodgers went down with that talent deprived team with their backup I’d agree. The backup was below average. Schaub is at least still average and we have one if the best rosters in the nfl. I just don’t see us only winning 2 games last year if Matt went down. I see that if benkert was the backup. Schaub is an experience backup who’s won games in the nfl. Vinnie testaverde won games as an old backup. At qb it’s not about your physical ability when you get old. It’s about your brain and the oc coming with a game plan that fits your skill set. Brees is losing his arm. His brilliant oc switched the game play to the short game. Prolonging brees career. It’s chess bro. Not checkers. I see a lot of checker playing on these boards. If Matt went down we gotta play the best chess we can play. 

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I could definitely see that happening if everyone else stayed healthy....Koetter would adjust the offense to put the new QB in a position to succeed. Look what it did with Ryan Fitzpatrick last year, and Tampa didn’t have near the talent on offense Atlanta has.

Exactly. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

I disagree with that because you’re doing the same thing @Falconsin2012 is doing. You’re assuming we run the exact same game plan you run with Matt for Matt. You don’t. You switch it up. I don’t think Matt is a 5 or 6 game difference either. I think 3 games. If we were GB when Rodgers went down with that talent deprived team with their backup I’d agree. The backup was below average. Schaub is at least still average and we have one if the best rosters in the nfl. I just don’t see us only winning 2 games last year if Matt went down. I see that if benkert was the backup. Schaub is an experience backup who’s won games in the nfl. Vinnie testaverde won games as an old backup. At qb it’s not about your physical ability when you get old. It’s about your brain and the oc coming with a game plan that fits your skill set. Brees is losing his arm. His brilliant oc switched the game play to the short game. Prolonging brees career. It’s chess bro. Not checkers. I see a lot of checker playing on these boards. If Matt went down we gotta play the best chess we can play. 

Sark. :tiphat:

We wouldn’t have won last year because the D was depleted and the roster was weak aside from pass game weapons.

What Schaub gonna do being asked to be Ryan?

2018 and the possibility of 2019 is apples to oranges rosters and OC talent/experience situation.

A Schaub led 2019 team would be heavily dependent on the OC and everyone other than QB. Maybe that yields 8-8 best case. Matt now is better than Schaub ever was, and our team still struggles to play complete games with offense and defense doing well together.

I don’t see playoffs with Schaub 2019 and we maybe win 2 or 3 games last year without Ryan.

I don’t see Schaub converting all those 3rd and longs last year. It was mostly Ryan and the pass game that kept us relevant in our wins. Sark was okay until defenses caught on we were so one dimensional and OL deprived. D wasn’t even worth mentioning.

11 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro we threw three back ups at em that year and still went 4-12. When we rolled with Leftwich I put a piece of tape over the back of my Vick jersey and marked in LeftVick. People in the Dome loved it.

LeftVick...classic.  I had an autographed Vick Jersey as well.  Gave it to goodwill when the charges dropped

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Sark. :tiphat:

We wouldn’t have won last year because the D was depleted and the roster was weak aside from pass game weapons.

What Schaub gonna do being asked to be Ryan?

2018 and the possibility of 2019 is apples to oranges rosters and OC talent/experience situation.

A Schaub led 2019 team would be heavily dependent on the OC and everyone other than QB. Maybe that yields 8-8 best case. Matt now is better than Schaub ever was, and our team still struggles to play complete games with offense and defense doing well together.

I don’t see playoffs with Schaub 2019 and we maybe win 2 or 3 games last year without Ryan.

I don’t see Schaub converting all those 3rd and longs last year. It was mostly Ryan and the pass game that kept us relevant in our wins. Sark was okay until defenses caught on we were so one dimensional and OL deprived. D wasn’t even worth mentioning.

Nobody’s talking about 2018 my man. We’re talking about 2019 assuming an otherwise healthy roster.

4 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We barely beat Tampa & the Giants with Ryan.  But agreed, hope we never find out

Does Schaub survive 100 hits Ryan absorbed?

No. We would either see a Sanu ran offense or Benkert for.a few games atleast. I think we could do o.k. On offense with Sanu, if the other team didn't have a week to prepare.

21 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Nobody’s talking about 2018 my man. We’re talking about 2019 assuming an otherwise healthy roster.

2018 was part of the poll.  And it’s there to see just how valuable TATF thinks Ryan is. 

Anyone saying we win 6 games must not think too highly of Ryan (Monolith excluded)

8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

2018 was part of the poll.  And it’s there to see just how valuable TATF thinks Ryan is. 

I understand that,  but ergo quoted fatboi so I was clarifying that’s not what boi and I were talking about. 

15 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I don’t understand why contrasting the two wouldn’t be an understandable reply to the op :shrug:

Ya know...compare and contrast.

2019 season isn’t even here to show us how it really shapes out compared to 2018. But it does give us a lot of data to say with just a pass game you’ll maybe win 8 games.

A lot fell on the defense not holding leads late or allowing response scores and/or the offense not burning enough time when we needed 4 minute offense so we didn’t rely on the D to seal a game.

^Presumably, those two get ironed out and we can win playing a more methodical offense through the ground game and Schaub finds a rhythm/chemistry with our talented receiving options. A defense back to average is still a minimum floor to hope a slower style game works ala 2017.

So, hypothetically we don’t win hardly at all last year given what we know and could win more games as a team playing better if moves panned out; especially considering the priority investments on OL and staff changes being on offensive side...those hopefully mitigate the drop off at QB over a season but DQ was already working with short-term roster situation on D...

Edited by Ergo Proxy

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I understand that,  but ergo quoted fatboi so I was clarifying that’s not what boi and I were talking about. 

boi originally quoted me...which was my comments toward the OP/poll.

I responded to his quote of my opinion; which included both years. His post and mine. :shrug:

Ok, so I should clarify I believe the optimistic version for 2019; where our run game comes together and our Defense is at minimum to 2017 caliber...yeah, that team could win 10 games and sneak into the playoffs with Schaub.

The problem is that we haven’t seen Schaub asked to be a starter in years. Big difference in spot starting vs carrying the reigns and having weaknesses exposed. If he played very well despite a game manager role and the rest of team did step up? Yes, you could win more than the 5 or 6.

My post was more about a realistic expectation than a hopeful “everything goes our way with Schaub” optimistic side.

So, without seeing the OL/run game and D come together yet, it’s harder to put faith in Schaub to get us to above .500 in a stacked NFC; without knowing just how high the D and run game can take it off his shoulders. I would hope he didn’t try to do too much and become INT prone Schaub again.

But seeing boi’s post back in page 1...it’s possible DK is the difference maker in game planning with him.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Tampa had great Talent on offense in 2018. You could argue they have the best WR-TE combo in NFC south. They had very good OL as well.  Bruce Arians May surprise Lot of folks, he is used to winning with crappy QB like in Arizona. 

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Tampa had great Talent on offense in 2018. You could argue they have the best WR-TE combo in NFC south. They had very good OL as well.  Bruce Arians May surprise Lot of folks, he is used to winning with crappy QB like in Arizona. 

Agreed...and don’t you hate how you iPhone auto populates may with a capital M

I think instead of stating absolutes in wins; which paints a static opinion, it might be better to suggest a range of win totals?

For example, I voted 2 wins 2018 and worse for 2019.

However, it’s possible that terrible season gets another win or two than that out of Schaub 2018...especially with a more experienced NFL OC...That’s a 3-5 win difference in QB.

But the greater argument is more likely a chance at .500 being a reasonable starting point for 2019 team...so more like a 2-3 win improvement from my vote; which puts expectations at 5 wins...

I don’t see anything more than that; jumping to 7 or 8 wins instead of 5...unless the D gets to top 10 status and that includes more TOs and TOP per drive/RZ scoring not breaking ala 2017.

I think; depending on performance of a roster outside of QB, it’s still a range. We all hope a team is able to show little cracks in armor when key members go down. It’s possible to be a 10 win team with Schaub but it’s a hard sell without knowing the D and run game are ELITE.

17 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

We were 7-9 last year with Ryan playing a great year. If you think we would be better than 3-13 than you’re crazy. We would be the same, maybe slightly better because of returning players this year. So like 5-11 or 4-12 with Schaub this year. 

Only slightly better?  Im not saying we would be perfect, but with the losses of so many people due to injury, wouldn't that substantiate enough to be significantly better?  If we didnt lose Levitre and Fusco due to injury, that's a better lineup than Wes and Garland at those spots, (although RS was cut due to his big drop off in play) losing Freeman was a huge hit, and that's on offense.  When we look into defense losing 3 top players in the first three weeks killed us exponentially.  Allen, Neal, and Jones were the basis of this D.  GJ being injured for a few times, as well as Takk losing time made this team far worse for the wear because there was no consistency is players to perform due to dropoff in talent from starter to backup.  It's not 100 percent the reason why we failed last year, but not having those players dropped us a good 2 to 4 games minimum.  I onlly state this because you're saying we would be at best only slightly better this year due to returning players, I think we will be immensely better, anywhere from 11-14 wins and deep into the playoffs.