Concert Thread

HolyMoses

So I went to the Black Keys/Modest Mouse concert Saturday Night at State Farm. It was, unsurprisingly, awesome. And, in a crazy turn of events, I ended up "backstage" at the after-party.  I was literally shooting hoops with Dan Auerbach on a practice court in the bowels of State Farm. nbd.

• 2 months later...

Saw the Black Lips the other night. It was fantastic. They still absolutely kill it live, tons of energy and fun. But ****, dudes need to lay off the junk. My friend, who is a huge fan, told me as much when I texted him about the show a few nights before. On our way into the show, I ran into a couple members of the band in the parking lot and chatted them up. They're from near the same part of Atlanta as where I grew up. And ****, the one dude was just ragged as ****. Like, he sounded horrible, he looked horrible, and it looked like he and the other member we met (a very odd model/actress/jewelry designer who is apparently a Gucci muse) were heading off to like shoot up or something.

But that ragged *********** still sounded great on stage.

• 3 weeks later...

On July 17 Dead and Company, and on July 18 Chris Stapleton with Sheryl Crow and Hank Williams Jr. are playing at Truist Park, and I have tickets to both concerts. 

Freakin' epic. The Stapleton show is going to be an absolute redneck ****show of drunk people trying to fight though.  The last time we saw him at Lakewood it was like a powder keg, totally different crowd than D&C shows.

On 2/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, mdrake34 said:

On July 17 Dead and Company, and on July 18 Chris Stapleton with Sheryl Crow and Hank Williams Jr. are playing at Truist Park, and I have tickets to both concerts. 

Freakin' epic. The Stapleton show is going to be an absolute redneck ****show of drunk people trying to fight though.  The last time we saw him at Lakewood it was like a powder keg, totally different crowd than D&C shows.

Turns out I'm also seeing the Stones in Megatron's butthole the week before.  Never been to that many concerts in such a short period of time, but life is short.

@JDaveG check out this new scathing Sturgill interview.  https://uproxx.com/indie/sturgill-simpson-interview-sound-and-fury-tour/

Straight fire:

"Was there a particular breaking point with your label?

Yeah, it’s that they control everything and contribute nothing, and that to be successful in their world I would have to play the game and do things that I just don’t want to do. So, it makes no sense. It’s not a good relationship for anybody. And I was manipulated into thinking I needed a record contract when I knew I never did, by certain individuals who aren’t even in my life anymore, because they had their own back-channel deals working behind the scenes that nobody tells you about until the ink’s dry. So, that’s lessons learned. I just don’t want to make the kind of records that a major label lives to promote and make money off of. I don’t want to be Bruno Mars."

• 2 years later...

I guess some time in the mid '90's, I saw the Violent Femmes at Music Midtown or some other festival and they were kind of mailed it in mediocre.  I completely put those guys in "the vault" other than to make the joke that "Out the Window" is the official theme song of the Putin Administration.

Until Friday, when I was invited to see their show at The Eastern.

To start: Yes, that is a perversely large saxophone, and yes, 1/3 of the drum kit is a [Weber?] grill.  The perversely large saxophone legitimately contributed to the band's unique sound, the grill was a gimmick, but worked because it was 1/3 of the drum kit and just the snare and tom was enough . . . and it was funny.

It was a great time.  Of course, their hits are so embedded in my brain that even without listening to them for so long, I couldn't help singing along and knew all the lyrics, much to the chagrin of the folks around me.  The Femmes are the ultimate minimalist band, so the perversely large sax filled any voids. 

They played some deep cuts and even a Hank Williams tune.  The most intriguing song might have been "Jesus Walking on the Water," a gospel song.  I appreciated it as the authentic expression of faith but my friends were certain that it was intended to mock.  We had an extensive discussion about it on the drive home.  I explained that there is a sub genre of non religious bands that have produced meaningful, even beautiful expressions of Christian Faith, often of salvation.  Jason and the Scorchers have "Somewhere Within" and Lou Reed (Jewish!) wrote "Jesus" for the Velvet Underground.  But there are few bands as raunchy and ironic as the Femmes, so it is fare to assume that "Jesus Walking on the Water" fits the irony.

So I found an ancient article in which the writer, Gordon Gano confirmed that it was an authentic expression of his faith, but expressed his occasional frustration that his audience assumes the song is a mockery.  But he also acknowledged that it was not surprising that his audience would come to the wrong conclusion.