Concert Thread

HolyMoses

A little longer exposition on the show.  The phone pouches were super easy.  Took maybe 5 seconds going in and 5 going out.  They had ample people there to lock and unlock the pouches and they were efficient.  Leaving, which is where we were concerned, they had them stationed at the door in droves, and they unlock the pouch and hand it back to you.  You then walk outside, take your phone out, and drop the pouch in one of the probably 20 receptacles they had to collect them.  Very efficient, cost us nothing in terms of time or hassle.  And it did make the show better for sure.  As I said on FB, the Raconteurs may be authoritarians, but they're benevolent authoritarians.

The band is ridiculously tight.  They have a chemistry that none of them can seem to find separately.  I've seen Jack White solo before.  He can't touch this band.  And he seems honestly joyful now, which I think is a tell.  He truly loves playing in this band, which is one reason why they are so good.  They did most of the favorites, but they did not do Carolina Drama or Salute Your Solution, two of my favorite tracks off of my favorite Raconteurs album.  They did do Consoler of the Lonely, which was awesome because according to setlist.fm, they haven't been doing it lately.  It's one of the best album openers I've ever heard.  They opened the encore set with it.  They opened the main set with Bored and Razed off the new album.  

They also improvise.  A lot.  Jack walked up to Brendan several times and went to a chord, with Brendan following.  Jack then would say something and Brendan would nod and they'd launch into another song.  This happened at least 3 times during the 1.5 hour or so show.  Multiple times Jack or Brendan would take off on a jam and then they'd signal the rest of the band when to launch back into the song.  If you see them multiple times, you will truly get a different show every night.  This is not scripted.  This is rock and roll.

The guitar tones were really well done.  The front of house sound was outstanding.  Keys and vocals came through nice.  It was absurdly loud (my ears are still ringing this morning -- I anticipate I won't have my normal hearing for a couple of days at least).  They are a phenomenal live band.  Probably top 5 shows ever for me, and that includes 2 Guns n Roses shows, and they're my favorite band.

Saw Noel Gallagher and the Smashing Pumpkins last night.   Was very cool to hear Noel play his new tune along with some of the old Oasis gems and even a Beatles track.   Pumpkins were great too....amazing to see them again with the old members playing with.     

Beer prices sucked....I can tell you that!    A 24oz beer was almost $20.   That should be illegal.

@JDaveG tonight they played both Carolina drama and salute your solution in the encore set of course lol. An incredible rock show. I’ve seen jack twice and this is definitely his best band. I saw him and the raconteurs for part of a set in Nashville during a solo show but seeing them for a whole show was amazing. They played a lot of the new material, which is cool because I really like the new album. I am guilty of trashing the acoustasonic in the g.a.s. Thread but man he made that thing sound cool with his custom plasma fuzz pedal. His main telecaster is very unique and just rocked. He really is the captain of the ship, and dare I say almost Zappa-Esque with the way he commands and leads the band through improvisation. One of the best rock shows I’ve ever seen.

11 hours ago, heyme said:

I’ll be seeing a band called reverend Peyton’s big **** band at smiths old bar Saturday. For you guitar players check them out. He’s an amazing slide/ Travis picker.

Travis picking is something I wish I was good at.  I practiced forever, and I just can't pick it up.

The singer in my band is amazing at it.  Just effortless.  It's the biggest hole in my game.

5 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Travis picking is something I wish I was good at.  I practiced forever, and I just can't pick it up.

The singer in my band is amazing at it.  Just effortless.  It's the biggest hole in my game.

Me and you both buddy lol. I feel more comfortable playing a sweeping arpeggio than I do with the simplest of Travis picking. 

3 minutes ago, heyme said:

Me and you both buddy lol. I feel more comfortable playing a sweeping arpeggio than I do with the simplest of Travis picking. 

This dude just flails at it (seemingly -- it's actually very precise).  Sometimes just his index finger.  Sometimes index and middle, sometimes 3 fingers.  But the thumb is always going.

The thumb is what I have the biggest problem with.  I can get it going, but adding other fingers in is like trying to pat your head and rub circles on your belly.

29 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

This dude just flails at it (seemingly -- it's actually very precise).  Sometimes just his index finger.  Sometimes index and middle, sometimes 3 fingers.  But the thumb is always going.

The thumb is what I have the biggest problem with.  I can get it going, but adding other fingers in is like trying to pat your head and rub circles on your belly.

I think my problem is that I play bass a lot as well and I like to thump upward when I hit the low string. You can’t do that with Travis picking and it’s a habit I cannot stop.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I saw the Who in 67' trust me it is not the same.

What's the difference between Jews and Goyim (non Jews)?

Goyim leave without saying goodbye.  Jews say good bye without leaving.

What's the difference between The Who and Goyim?

Same thing.

No, it is not the same as it was in 1967, or even 1982 when I saw them.  But it was an extraordinary show that authentically honored the music yet showcased the talents of the players, even as those talents have inevitably declined.  

more later

• 1 month later...