Concert Thread

HolyMoses

2 hours ago, HolyMoses said:

I have heard of none of those bands.

I'm old.

Very old, given that some of them started releasing music in the 90s, and others at least 15 years ago.  But none are exactly top-40, so.

Not knowing your musical tastes even a little bit, you should check out Cat Power's first covers album.  It's great, covers a lot of older songs you definitely do know, but in such a unique and compelling way.  E.g., 

8 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I've haven't listened yet but I've read that they killed it at Bonaroo.

I watched some of the second set.  It was good, but I feel like fans are giving a bit too much hype to their recent renaissance.  Yeah, it's great Trey is no longer ****** up beyond repair and can get through songs without sounding like ****, but quit comparing this to the peak years of like 95-2000.  Whenever they get to a complicated song (like Fluffhead last night), it sounds (if you don't mentally make up for it) a bit like me trying to get through tough Phish songs with my college band.  Like Trey is just trying to survive the really complicated parts to get to the fun jammy parts, and trying not to mess up too bad.  Back then he attacked those parts (e.g., Y.E.M., Reba, Fluff, etc.) with ******* gusto.

They're still great in the grand scheme of things, but what made them one of a kind back then was the ability to nail insanely technical composed pieces and completely free form improv, and everything in between.  

Edited by Carl Showalter

1 minute ago, The Legendary SB said:

I thought they were good last night.  I think you have somewhat of a valid point about Fluffhead, etc...  I think the issue is they have such a huge song repertoire now that it's tough to remember all those complicated parts.  It was much easier when Fluffhead was in a rotation of 20-30 songs.  Now it's more like 200-300 songs.  I've seen Phish 4 times during their "peak years".  The first 2 shows being the best.  94 Trey was out of this world and have never had another guitar player both melt my face off and humble me big time at the same time.  

The feed looked good but it's also a lot different when you see them in person.  I'll let you know how it goes Friday night.  

Even by late 90s, they had a huge repertoire. I just think Trey practiced more back then.  Even the best guitar players (and peak Trey is like top-5 all time for me) need practice.  Like, you don't really see Page struggling during those songs, and he also has crazy complex lines to remember.  

Really don't want to denigrate them too much, though, because they are really playing at a high-level now, which is great after some really terrible years in the aughts.  

On 6/13/2019 at 4:37 PM, heyme said:

The raconteurs at the tabernacle

Béla fleck and the flecktones In November.... oh yeaaaaa

I'm thinking of taking my wife to that Raconteurs show.  We went to Music Midtown a couple of years ago for the sole purpose of seeing Jack White.  That's the last time we went (because unlike that year, the past few there was literally no one I wanted to see).

• 1 month later...

My son mentioned going to Peter Frampton a while back.  Then, a few weeks ago, he texted me that he got tickets.

We had a little exchange confirming that I was going and he textied:  I'm excited for it".  I replied:  "I feel like you do."

@mdrake34and @JDaveG are too young for "Frampton Comes Alive" but the dude is apparently a guitar legend.  I remember him as a somewhat sappy songwriter with Schtick hair who did the first big live album ever.    But for some reason, I saw him as a nostalgia act (even then!) when I was in  High School.

From what my son told me, he was pioneering in incorporating jazz scales into R&B, particularly with his extensive solo'ing.  

35 some odd years later, he's 69  and on his final tour because he has some kind of degenerative muscle illness going on which clearly has not impaired him yet.  Frampton was impressive as ****.  

The show was a sweet blend showcasing his presumably immence talent, considerable pop catalogue, and stories from his career.  It was a surprisingly  entertaining show.

We also caught the end of the opener, which was 'Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening"

His dad died choking on his own vomit.  And his son has got to be making him throw up in his grave every night.

I've got no problem with tribute bands, but the dude is 53 and has apparently done nothing but trade on his father's name in his career.  DO YOUR OWN THING, KID!!!

On 6/18/2019 at 4:27 PM, JDaveG said:

I'm thinking of taking my wife to that Raconteurs show.  We went to Music Midtown a couple of years ago for the sole purpose of seeing Jack White.  That's the last time we went (because unlike that year, the past few there was literally no one I wanted to see).

Just got tickets brose.  My wife is fired up about it.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, JDaveG said:

I saw Joan Jett open for Robert Plant in the Omni back in the day.  Best concert seats I've ever had.  Right center stage, 11th row.  She was unreal.  Robert Plant was too, obviously, but Joan Jett is an authentic *** kicker of a rock and roll star.  She's one of my all-time favorites.

I'm not sure I'll make any concerts this year, but if Gov't Mule comes around I'd love to see them again.  It's one of the best shows I've ever seen.  And I've seen a lot of shows.  The only ones I'd rank above that are the Eagles in 1994, Ryan Bingham at Variety Playhouse a few years ago (our singer and bass player hung out with Jason Carter all night and the show was amazing especially for a small club gig), Skid Row at the Roxy in Buckhead in the late 1980s, and for sure Guns n Roses in 1987 and again in 2016.

I've seen Mule several times and they never disappoint. And there always seems to be a good vibe and good sound at the Tabernacle. I haven't been up there in several years, though. The last time I went they still had George Porter playing with them. 

Who have I seen?   

Whitesnake, White Lion, Great White, Van Halen( hagar ), David Lee Roth ( Solo ), Chubby Checker LOL, Kiss (with and Without Makeup multiple times), Night Ranger,  Dokken, Heart, Til Tuesday, Bon Jovi, Pat Travers, Ted Nugent, Black n Blue, Hall and Oates, Ratt,  Billy Squier, Def leppard, Krokus, Queensryche, Poison, Aerosmith,  Cinderella,  I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Stryper

Who I never got to see and wanted to.

Foreigner, Styx, Journey, Boston, ( sure they are all touring but not the lineups I wanted to see)  Rod Stewart,Stevie ray vaughn, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of these too.

Who I have seen lately.... No one other than YouTube.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:59 PM, Skeetbird said:

Who have I seen?   

Whitesnake, White Lion, Great White, Van Halen( hagar ), David Lee Roth ( Solo ), Chubby Checker LOL, Kiss (with and Without Makeup multiple times), Night Ranger,  Dokken, Heart, Til Tuesday, Bon Jovi, Pat Travers, Ted Nugent, Black n Blue, Hall and Oates, Ratt,  Billy Squier, Def leppard, Krokus, Queensryche, Poison, Aerosmith,  Cinderella,  I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Stryper

Who I never got to see and wanted to.

Foreigner, Styx, Journey, Boston, ( sure they are all touring but not the lineups I wanted to see)  Rod Stewart,Stevie ray vaughn, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of these too.

Who I have seen lately.... No one other than YouTube.

I really wish you had not done that.  My afternoon is now shot

Jan and Dean

Styx

Reo Speedwagon

Bahaus

Special Beat

Pretenders

Iggy PopStooges 2x

Bruce Springsgeen 2x

U2 3x

Jesus and Mary Chain 4x

Green DAy 3x

Peter Frampton 2x

Sisters of Mercy

Public Enemy

Salt & Peppa

KC and the Sunshine Band

Santanna

Rammones (4x)

Blondie

Tom Tom Club

B-52's

Jason and the Scorchers 3x

Rev.Horton Heat

BELWEATHER STATION

Groovie Ghoulies

The Who Edit: 2x

Sting

Dead Milkmen

Buddy Guy 3x

Offspring

ZZ Top

Love and Rockets

Buzcocks

Presidents of the United States

Guadacanal Diary

REM

**** Dale

10,000 Maniacs 2x

Joan Jett

The Cure 2x

Nine Inch Nails 2x

Tom Petty

Warren Zevon

Lou Reed

Eric Clapton

Panic at the Disco

PIL 2x

The Pixies

X (2x)

Ray Charles

Neon Christ

Jesus Chrysler

Cheap Trick

The Go Go's

The Alarm

The Hooters

Page and Plant

Depeche Mode

Roger Waters (or David Gilmore, can't remember which)

Black Flag

I'm sure I'll be adding and other stuff comes up.  Some bands I know I have seen and I just can't remember their names!

Camper Van Beethoven

They Might Be Giants

Spin Doctors

Brian Seltzer Orchastra

Big Bad Voodoo Daddies

Ministry

OK Go!

Front 242

Violent Femmes

Just now, JDaveG said:

@heyme, you going to the Raconteurs tonight or tomorrow night?

What do you think of the whole "no phone show?"

I’m going to tomorrow nights show. I am leaving to get in line early so  I’m probably going to hate the no phones thing during that time being bored waiting because I want to be up close lol. Tabernacle sucks for packed out shows when you’re stuck in The back. I’m torn though on the no phone policy. I hate when I’m having to watch a show through some jerks phone in front of me, but I also don’t like being told I can’t bring my property to a concert that’s not a weapon or a drug. It’s a shame bad apples always ruin that for people. The new album is awesome and I’m really looking forward to the show regardless.

4 minutes ago, heyme said:

I’m going to tomorrow nights show. I am leaving to get in line early so  I’m probably going to hate the no phones thing during that time being bored waiting because I want to be up close lol. Tabernacle sucks for packed out shows when you’re stuck in The back. I’m torn though on the no phone policy. I hate when I’m having to watch a show through some jerks phone in front of me, but I also don’t like being told I can’t bring my property to a concert that’s not a weapon or a drug. It’s a shame bad apples always ruin that for people. The new album is awesome and I’m really looking forward to the show regardless.

Same. We have balcony seating, but I want to get there early too.  My biggest issue is we're leaving our kids with someone and in case of emergency I don't want to have to wait for some jackleg to open my little phone purse.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Same. We have balcony seating, but I want to get there early too.  My biggest issue is we're leaving our kids with someone and in case of emergency I don't want to have to wait for some jackleg to open my little phone purse.

Yeah I’ve decided I’d just leave mine in my car at this point vs letting the idiots at the tabernacle handle it

Just now, heyme said:

Yeah I’ve decided I’d just leave mine in my car at this point vs letting the idiots at the tabernacle handle it

I think we're going to leave my wife's in the car and take mine into the building.  That way we're covered in case of emergency either way -- if there's no line for the people to give us access to our property again, no harm no foul.  If there is, we go to the car and sort it out and then fight with them over getting my phone back later.