HolyMoses

Concert Thread

77 posts in this topic

Have we done this before? Seems like we should.    This can be a heads up for upcoming shows ( and opportunities to meet up)  and reviews afterwards. 

Tonight it’s going to be father-son night at Joan Jett and the Black Hearts.   I am very late to the Joan Jett game. But I have been developing an appreciation over the last 10 years or so and now respect her for the authentic punk legend that she is.  

And we must teach our children well. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObIDG21qMp8

JDaveG likes this

I saw Joan Jett open for Robert Plant in the Omni back in the day.  Best concert seats I've ever had.  Right center stage, 11th row.  She was unreal.  Robert Plant was too, obviously, but Joan Jett is an authentic *** kicker of a rock and roll star.  She's one of my all-time favorites.

I'm not sure I'll make any concerts this year, but if Gov't Mule comes around I'd love to see them again.  It's one of the best shows I've ever seen.  And I've seen a lot of shows.  The only ones I'd rank above that are the Eagles in 1994, Ryan Bingham at Variety Playhouse a few years ago (our singer and bass player hung out with Jason Carter all night and the show was amazing especially for a small club gig), Skid Row at the Roxy in Buckhead in the late 1980s, and for sure Guns n Roses in 1987 and again in 2016.

On 6/2/2019 at 4:01 PM, HolyMoses said:

Have we done this before? Seems like we should.    This can be a heads up for upcoming shows ( and opportunities to meet up)  and reviews afterwards. 

Tonight it’s going to be father-son night at Joan Jett and the Black Hearts.   I am very late to the Joan Jett game. But I have been developing an appreciation over the last 10 years or so and now respect her for the authentic punk legend that she is.  

And we must teach our children well. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObIDG21qMp8

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I saw Joan Jett open for Robert Plant in the Omni back in the day.  Best concert seats I've ever had.  Right center stage, 11th row.  She was unreal.  Robert Plant was too, obviously, but Joan Jett is an authentic *** kicker of a rock and roll star.  She's one of my all-time favorites.

I'm not sure I'll make any concerts this year, but if Gov't Mule comes around I'd love to see them again.  It's one of the best shows I've ever seen.  And I've seen a lot of shows.  The only ones I'd rank above that are the Eagles in 1994, Ryan Bingham at Variety Playhouse a few years ago (our singer and bass player hung out with Jason Carter all night and the show was amazing especially for a small club gig), Skid Row at the Roxy in Buckhead in the late 1980s, and for sure Guns n Roses in 1987 and again in 2016.

A few things that had troubled me about the show Sunday night were swept away during an epiphany 2/3's of the way into the show when the Blackhearts belted out the opening chords to the '80's Metal anthem "I Love Rock and Roll" and the Peachtree City amphitheater crowd finally got to their feet.  

The Trouble

1) I was very late to the Joan Jett party and it troubled me that I did not appreciate this legend earlier.  She had hits when I was in highschool and I had no use for her whatsoever back then.  My appreciation started when I was in my '40's and I saw her epic video playing with the Foo Fighters on Letterman.  She was authentic punk and had aged remarkable well . . . and David Grohl and the boys were clearly elated to be performing with her.

2) The crowd sucked.  I was filled with self loathing before the show that I was the crowd and the crowd was me and it was indistinguishable from a KC and the Sunshine Band show at Chastain.  This was freakin' Joan Jett!!!  These people had to be cool, right?  Are we all so old that even the coolest amongst us look like ********?

3) Joan Jett was playing "The Fred" at Peachtree City.  Joan Jett should be playing in town venues like the Masquarade or Variety Playhouse.  This didn't fit.

4) The band was tight and intense as they ripped through their early stuff, which was pure pop punk.  My son noticed that Green Day had ripped off pretty much everything about them. Joan Jett sounded incredible.  Her voice is as gritty and tough as anyone in rock, but still had a feminine harmonic quality that brings ownership to everything she covers, from Tommy James to Iggy Pop. And the audience sat their and clapped politely.  

5) My son (brilliantly) pointed out that Joan Jett does NOT care about her "Bad Reputation" . . . but this is bad.  She has a well earned reputation as an authentic Rock and Roll Bad ***, and she still is.   But if she cared about preserving that reputation, she wouldn't be playing Peachtree City.  

The Epiphany

So here comes "I Love Rock and Roll" and everyone gets up and goes crazy . . . at least for a P'tree City crowd.  

And I got it.

"I Love Rock and Roll" is metal.  The crowd wasn't there to see Joan Jett as a "Runaways" punk.  They were there to see the hit metal song(s) from their high school days when . . . they were ********.  They had zero appreciation for what made Joan Jett legend.  They just wanted to hear "I Love Rock and Roll" and "I Hate Myself for Loving You." (Which, I admit, has long been a guilty pleasure for me.)  And they were happy to pay for the privilege.

They weren't me.  I wasn't them.  I wasn't lame for joining the party late.  I was cool because her stuff that was POPULAR when I was a kid was not the stuff that made her great.  

And she is still great.  Iggy pop without the wrinkles and a MUCH better voice.  The band was super tight.  When your music is not sophisticated, the intensity has to be there or things get ugly.  They had the intensity and the technical proficiency to make it all work.  She's a punk.  But they were all professional.  

The crowd sat down after the three song pop metal interlude (an outstanding "Crimson and Clover" before "I hate myself . . .") but I stayed on my feet the rest of the way, highlighted by a blistering, "Real Wild Child" which inspired me to a a little Holy Moses Jr. humiliating, Pat Smear twisting. at ;48, 1;08 etc.)    I saw Iggy perform it in 1984 opening for the Pretenders, and Joan played it faster, . . . and better Sunday Night. 

JDaveG and Porkins like this

True story -- I'm trying to convince our singer to cover "Crimson and Clover" for a cancer benefit we play every year.

There are a million reasons why covering that song is a bad idea.  Though for the same reasons, "I Love Rock and Roll" would be worse.  But I will persist, because it's a really cool cover and Joan Jett is a bad ***.

Her cover of Love Hurts is everything that song was meant to be, long after Nazareth covered it and people forgot it was an Everly Brothers tune.  Her voice can go from sweet little songbird to razor blades and sandpaper in the blink of an eye, and she shows that off in this song.  

She has a whole album of insanely good rock and roll covers, by the way.

Billy Ocean and HolyMoses like this

Also, that Melody Maker isn't a prop.  She's a seriously great rhythm guitar player, and she will play some lead on occasion.

@HolyMoses, it occurs to me that you and my brother are the only people on this Board I have actually attended a concert with, which is insane considering @mdrake34 and I both play guitar and love the same kinds of stuff.  And that we actually own one of each other's former guitars.

And you are the only one who has seen me play live, so you are in rare air sir.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

@HolyMoses, it occurs to me that you and my brother are the only people on this Board I have actually attended a concert with, which is insane considering @mdrake34 and I both play guitar and love the same kinds of stuff.

We are likely to be attending more soon. . . . My boys are running out of patience with me.   

I was pretty much "I don't care how tire you are or unfamiliar with her music.  She is a legend and you are going."  

My kids tell me to "turn that crap down" all the time.  Quite the generational reversal.

JDaveG likes this

So, I have posted the video from Letterman of Jett performing with the Foo Fighters  many many times.  And the thing that always makes me smile about the video more than anything is  that foo fighters’ guitarist Pat Smears  can’t control his giddiness about performing with Joan Jett.  

And now I understand why:

Like many guitarists his age, he was a huge fan growing up.    But unlike  many guitarists,  he was in a LA punk band called the germs. Guess who produced the germs first album? Joan Jett. 

How cool is that? 

HaliFalcon and JDaveG like this

Saw Joan Jett and Carrie Underwood this weekend at CMA fest.  Had no use for CW other than those amazing legs, but Joan Jett was spectacular.  

Best of CMA Fest were Morgan Wallen, Luke Combs, FGL - in that order.  

JDaveG and HolyMoses like this

14 hours ago, heyme said:

The raconteurs at the tabernacle

Béla fleck and the flecktones In November.... oh yeaaaaa

I’m so glad the Raconteurs got back together. Great band. 

I have Consolers of the Lonely on vinyl. 

heyme likes this

The last thing I saw was the Buddy Holly Story at the Dutch Apple House Dinner Theater in Pennsylvania.

I 've seen some of the greats, The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Elvis, Hendrix, etc., but nowadays I pretty much stick to seeing some of my friends who are in bands at our local clubs/watering holes.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, JDaveG said:

True story -- I'm trying to convince our singer to cover "Crimson and Clover" for a cancer benefit we play every year.

That’s a good song. If I had become an organist I would’ve liked to recreate this video with you guys:

On 6/4/2019 at 4:05 PM, JDaveG said:

@HolyMoses, it occurs to me that you and my brother are the only people on this Board I have actually attended a concert with, which is insane considering @mdrake34 and I both play guitar and love the same kinds of stuff.  And that we actually own one of each other's former guitars.

Hey I invited you to burn one in the parking lot before the Guns n Roses concert but you never hit me up.

JDaveG and mdrake34 like this

It's weird that after seeing literally hundreds of shows in my heydey, I rarely get to anymore.  Bands almost never come to my neck of the woods, and with the kids and work it can be hard to travel for them.  Still, my wife and I will make the trek to other cities from time to time just to catch something, and will see almost anything that comes here that's even remotely interesting. 

We just saw Florence and the Machine, which was rad.  She's basically a rock star on stage, and played Jenny of Oldstones, which was cool.  We saw Cat Power and Mountain Goats not too long ago, and I think Band of Horses, Jason Isbell, and Tedeschi Trucks the year before that.  Seeing St. Paul and the Broken Bones in the not too distant future.

HolyMoses likes this

Posted (edited)

I went to Shaky Knees and saw Tool in Birmingham a few days afterwards. Seeing Tame Impala and Tool in the space of three days have been my concert highlights so far this year. May go to Iron Maiden in July and Smashing Pumpkins/Noel Gallagher in August.

Edited by Maverick

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I’m so glad the Raconteurs got back together. Great band. 

I have Consolers of the Lonely on vinyl. 

I saw jack white with Loretta Lynn in Nashville. The raconteurs did a brief reunion then and played three songs together for the encore. I’m very excited to see them live. The presale for the tabernacle show I’m going to came with a copy of the new vinyl as well.

Edited by heyme
JDaveG likes this

Hugh Jackman a couple of weeks ago.

Metallica this week, and Rammstein next month.

From my actual NFL trips over here: Slash - Atlantic City, Kid Rock/ZZ Top - Lakewood, Ghost - Seattle, Metallica - Sioux Falls.

No shows that I know of announced for sept/oct.

HolyMoses and JDaveG like this

On 6/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, JDaveG said:

I saw Joan Jett open for Robert Plant in the Omni back in the day.  

I saw the last concert ever at the Omni (Metallica) before they tore it down. I have some old Hawks novelty coins with the Omni engraved on back.....somewhere in the Sponge Warehouse. That use to be the place back in the day for wrestling and monster trucks.

JDaveG likes this

From 1995 to 2017, between working at music venues & going on tour, I saw so many bands that it's neary impossible to get me to voluntarily go see a band play anymore.

I literally saw an average of 3 bands per night, at 280+ nights a year... which is 840 sets per year.

Over the course of 22 years, that's 18,480 sets I have witnessed.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, Carl Showalter said:

It's weird that after seeing literally hundreds of shows in my heydey, I rarely get to anymore.  Bands almost never come to my neck of the woods, and with the kids and work it can be hard to travel for them.  Still, my wife and I will make the trek to other cities from time to time just to catch something, and will see almost anything that comes here that's even remotely interesting. 

We just saw Florence and the Machine, which was rad.  She's basically a rock star on stage, and played Jenny of Oldstones, which was cool.  We saw Cat Power and Mountain Goats not too long ago, and I think Band of Horses, Jason Isbell, and Tedeschi Trucks the year before that.  Seeing St. Paul and the Broken Bones in the not too distant future.

I have heard of none of those bands.

I'm old.