June 2019 Recruiting Thread

Carter

1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

There are certain guys in this class that you hold and make room for. If Flowe, or Paris Johnson, or Evans want in, then they're in, and we will continue to recruit all till the last minute.

Don't really think this is true. Pretty sure Flowe and Sewell are competing for one spot, whoever jumps on it first. 

Also pretty sure Paris is already trying to get back on the UGA radar after realizing Milton is picking us and not OSU. We'll see if that happens, but indications are we might have already moved on from him after he told our staff no a few weeks ago. 

12 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Don't really think this is true. Pretty sure Flowe and Sewell are competing for one spot, whoever jumps on it first. 

Also pretty sure Paris is already trying to get back on the UGA radar after realizing Milton is picking us and not OSU. We'll see if that happens, but indications are we might have already moved on from him after he told our staff no a few weeks ago. 

I find it hard to believe that if both Sewell and Flowe wanted in, we'd tell one no, especially Flowe, but you never know

11 minutes ago, 007dawg said:

Someone earlier had asked about Tank Bigbsy being kicked out of Callway H.S. for fighting.    His HS teamate, OL Tate Johnson, told a friend of mine that Tank was in a fight about a month ago, but was not kicked out.  He was suspended for the Spring game, but has since been reinstated.

Good to hear.  Thanks for the update.

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

There are certain guys in this class that you hold and make room for. If Flowe, or Paris Johnson, or Evans want in, then they're in, and we will continue to recruit all till the last minute.

Dunno if you saw the SoFl comment posted the other day but if he's correct, it actually sounds like we may have moved on there... Definitely agree on Flowe and Evans though. I think Pittman trusts his evals well enough that he isn't going to get bent out of shape if a guy isn't feeling us enough. PJ could also be a transfer portal worry based on his bouncing back and forth thus far as well.

We will not turn down either Flowe or Sewell if they want in.. just not happening. As for Paris, if he wants in it’d have to be before Raym and SVP secure their spot because we are only taking 6 OL. Numbers are tight this year so don’t be surprised if a couple guys are processed by ESD if certain high priority players want in. 

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

We will not turn down either Flowe or Sewell if they want in.. just not happening. As for Paris, if he wants in it’d have to be before Raym and SVP secure their spot because we are only taking 6 OL. Numbers are tight this year so don’t be surprised if a couple guys are processed by ESD if certain high priority players want in. 

yep we will take flowe and sewell.. paris however that ship has sailed.. sounds like our staff feels very good about raym and svp.  svp our future center and raym can play any spot on the oline.  paris is talented, but he was given a lot of time to make his move and he refused.. paris is all osu. 

38 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep we will take flowe and sewell.. paris however that ship has sailed.. sounds like our staff feels very good about raym and svp.  svp our future center and raym can play any spot on the oline.  paris is talented, but he was given a lot of time to make his move and he refused.. paris is all osu. 

Agreed.  Paris is more highly rated and talented perhaps but watching the tape of guys like Braun, SVP and Raym, those guys are just nasty.  With so much talent and depth on the team, guys that want in just are going to have to commit earlier - maybe not with other positions- but OLineman - you cannot wait.

Jeremy Pruitt is at it again.  First he recruited Alontae Taylor as a “receiver” when everyone knew his future was at a corner.

Now Jeff Sentell said the VOLS are also recruiting Arik Gilbert as a receiver - as opposed to a Tight End.

Got to hand it to Pruitt, he will do or say anything to win a recruit.  Probably knows UGA had not only the home court advantage but also able to use Chaney’s history of under utilization of TEs against VOLS.

Smart strategy although the switcharoo would be forthcoming if Gilbert signs - just like Taylor.

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Jeremy Pruitt is at it again.  First he recruited Alontae Taylor as a “receiver” when everyone knew his future was at a corner.

Now Jeff Sentell said the VOLS are also recruiting Arik Gilbert as a receiver - as opposed to a Tight End.

Got to hand it to Pruitt, he will do or say anything to win a recruit.  Probably knows UGA had not only the home court advantage but also able to use Chaney’s history of under utilization of TEs against VOLS.

Smart strategy although the switcharoo would be forthcoming if Gilbert signs - just like Taylor.

Rusty said EVERY school will tell Gilbert he can play wr, or te.

25 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

It’s one thing to say you are a Tight End and we will flex you out to WR in some packages and quite the other to say you are a WR and that’s all you will be.

Nobody believes a team like UT  that wants to run the ball is gonna flex a 250lb stud to TE on running downs.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

It’s one thing to say you are a Tight End and we will flex you out to WR in some packages and quite the other to say you are a WR and that’s all you will be.

Nobody believes a team like UT  that wants to run the ball is gonna flex a 250lb stud to TE on running downs.

Sometimes a kid hears what he wants to hear.  Pruitt can recruit.  They probably realize that by pitching him more as a wr, that will slide in some as well, then they won't be negative recruited by the oc's lack of passes to a strictly te.

54 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Sometimes a kid hears what he wants to hear.  Pruitt can recruit.  They probably realize that by pitching him more as a wr, that will slide in some as well, then they won't be negative recruited by the oc's lack of passes to a strictly te.

I still believe Dawgs will won this battle for Gilbert.

We don’t need to go Zero for Cobb County.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I still believe Dawgs will won this battle for Gilbert.

We don’t need to go Zero for Cobb County.

I hope so.  It seems like there are 3 te's that the staff feels are pretty much even.  I would love to have Gilbert, but until I see with my own eyes that the te's are going to be a major focus of the offense, losing out on a high star te recruit isn't going to bother me too much.

Edited by Turkeydawg

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I hope so.  It seems like there are 3 te's that the staff feels are pretty much even.  I would love to have Gilbert, but until I see with my own eyes that the te's are going to be a major focus of the offense, losing out on a high star te recruit isn't going to bother me too much.

Besides the fact that Gilbert is an awesome prospect, I really do believe we need to get some of the cream out of the state of GA.  I realize the last two recruiting cycles the state is a little lower than 2018, and some of the GA players we are passing on is because we get better players out of state - as we should - but to me that just makes getting someone like Gilbert that much more important to UGA.

We Lost Myles Murphy for reasons out of UGA’s control and passing on Harrison Bailey and BJ Ojulari for better prospects.  I get it.   All makes sense.

Just saying it could hurt us in future recruiting cycles - Marietta HS could have THREE highly rated prospects all going to Tennessee.  Just sayin'....don't want to lose the HS head coaches in-state.  

2 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

This is just a pure production game. Lol at TE receptions across the entire SEC and then look at WR... Even accounting for more bodies in the WR room, not many programs feature the TE enough to make it as appealing for a kid that seems to want to catch the ball... including UGA. Hopefully we point to Woerner as proof that we do flex the TE out and then showcase the TE a bit more this season than recently. 

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Besides the fact that Gilbert is an awesome prospect, I really do believe we need to get some of the cream out of the state of GA.  I realize the last two recruiting cycles the state is a little lower than 2018, and some of the GA players we are passing on is because we get better players out of state - as we should - but to me that just makes getting someone like Gilbert that much more important to UGA.

All things being equal, I would prefer to have a kid from our state at a given position.  With that being said, give me the best player possible.  I don't care if he is from Georgia, or if he is some crazy Canadian.  

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

agreed on that.. too many kids want to play a spot and will believe anything a staff tells them.. pruitt is a good recruiter for sure, but he isn't on kirby's level when it comes to recruiting or in hiring assistants.  the good thing is hartley has us in the mix for 5 tes that I would personally pick from any of the 5 tes 2 players and be very happy with the additions.  we can also use chaney against pruitt as well.  the biggest issue for pruitt here is what happens with bailey.  chaney does not like bailey and is trying to get an additional qb or 2.  bailey and his family know it.. how long will bailey stick if it's clear the OC doesn't want him..  

15 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

This is just a pure production game. Lol at TE receptions across the entire SEC and then look at WR... Even accounting for more bodies in the WR room, not many programs feature the TE enough to make it as appealing for a kid that seems to want to catch the ball... including UGA. Hopefully we point to Woerner as proof that we do flex the TE out and then showcase the TE a bit more this season than recently. 

the oc who were responsible for those TE receptions is now at tennessee.. lol  yeah TEs in general are not used often in the passing game for most programs unless you have a very special TE talent who can be flexed as a WR and you have the offensive line where you don't need any help and not many programs can do that.. UGA howeer has no excuse this year not to use woerner more as a receiver and less as a blocker.. this oline for UGA should be the best in the nation and they should be able to hold their own.  Weorner is a special talent IMO and should be used as such.